The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science Top up modules for IBMS degree accreditation

Hi,
I would like to train as a Biomedical Scientist to work in the NHS.
I have an Immunology degree which I have had assessed by the IBMS. They have told me which additional areas I need to study so that my degree will be suitable for HPC registration. So I was just wondering if anyone else has experience of doing the 'top up' modules. I am considering either Abertay uni, Glasgow Caledonian uni or Strathclyde uni or possibly distance learning at Ulster uni. Has anyone got any experience of studying Biomedical Science at any of these universities? I would be grateful for any advice to help me to decide what to go for. At the moment I am working as a research assistant and am hoping I can continue to work part time while I study. Thank you in anticipation, looking forward to hearing any thoughts or advice.
M

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, i am in a same situation, how many modules have they asked you to do? And how many semesters did you have to study? I want to train as a biomedical scientist but my course is not acreditatd. I know it has been long since you have asked this question but hoping that you will be of some help to me. Thank you.
Hi,

I am about to commence top up modules via distance learning with the University of Ulster. I studied Pharmacology at Leeds University (graduated July 2011) and this course was not accredited by the IBMS so I had it assessed in September and they advised me to study top-up modules in Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical Immunology, Cellular Pathology and Haematology and Blood Transfusion Science. I am currently working full time as a medical lab assistant in Microbiology based in Carlisle. This way I can do my studies without affecting my full time work, as day release to attend University was not an option for me.

I am hoping that once registered with the HPC and IBMS my lab will support me through a portfolio as a trainee and help me become a biomedical scientist!

I am trying to find other threads on this distance learning top-up course but this is all I can find at the moment! If anyone knows anything about it or has had a similar experience to me please share :-) Thanks.
Reply 3
Hi,
I am currently studying by distance learning at University of Ulster. I have completed modules in Clinical Immunology, Biology of Disease and Hematology and Transfusion Science. I still have to do Clinical Chemistry and Cellular Pathology and also need to complete an Anatomy Module which is not available at University of Ulster. I am working in a research lab not NHS at the moment. I have enjoyed the modules so far and I think they've been useful for my current post but I'm not sure if I'll get to the stage of trainee biomedical scientist - there seems to be a lot of competition for few posts.
M
Hi M,

How have you found the modules so far? Are they difficult? Did you have to do laboratory practicals for haematology? I'm fairly clueless about them at the moment! I'm starting clinical biochemistry and cellular pathology on 3rd Feb, perhaps you will be studying at the same time as me. What are the lab reports and essays like? I don't know what to expect, I'm slightly worried about doing them whilst working full time.
Hey,

Did you have to pay tuition fees to do the distance learning and if so how much?

Thanks
Reply 6
Hi,
So far I have found the modules about the level of final year of an undergraduate degree although I found some of the assignments a bit more challenging. The practicals have been quite straightforward so far, I have found them easier than the essays. I have managed to complete them at my workplace and tutors have been helpful with allowing me to make changes to the protocols if I don't have the exact reagents in the lab. I have only done one module at a time so far which has been enough with working full time. I think doing two modules this semester is going to be tough. The tutors and course organisers have been helpful and there is good support for essay writing, referencing work and revision.
I have to pay tuition fees, I think they are roughly £26 per credit so a 10 credit module would be £260.
Hope that helps.
Reply 7
Hi,
I am pretty much in the same boat as you and also required to study anatomy and physiology as part of the top-up modules. Has the university agreed to provide this module for you? If not how are you going to go about gaining it? Thanks
Reply 8
Hi

I have quite a number of top up modules I need to do - I was looking at Ulster university but not sure if its too late to join for the February intake. I will be speaking to the bioscience team tomorrow.

These are the modules I need to do:

Immunology, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Cellular Pathology, Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical Immunology, Haematology, Transfusion Science and Medical Microbiology.

I think immunology and microbiology hopefully come under medical microbiology and clinical immunology? I am not sure.

My friend at work did distance learning with Ulster and she loved it. She is on her way in gaining her portfolio now. Hopefully our time comes soon :frown:

Original post by Crazy on you!
Hi M,

How have you found the modules so far? Are they difficult? Did you have to do laboratory practicals for haematology? I'm fairly clueless about them at the moment! I'm starting clinical biochemistry and cellular pathology on 3rd Feb, perhaps you will be studying at the same time as me. What are the lab reports and essays like? I don't know what to expect, I'm slightly worried about doing them whilst working full time.
Reply 9
HI Guys,

I am an international student and have just completed my Masters in Biomedical Sciences. My bachelor degree is from another country and when I applied for checking to IBMS they asked me to complete supplementary courses as well as 1 year training in labs accredited by them. I am in a sort of dilemma as an international student how would I find a job in any lab for 1 year and how to complete top up modules part time? Can anyone guide me through this, I would really appreciate it.

Regards
Reply 10
IBMS has advised me to take supplementary modules and 1 year training in accredited lab to complete my portfolio for registering with HCPC. I am in a dilemma as I do not know how to go about this? Can anyone guide me as I am an international student? I would appreciate your response.
Regards
Muhamma
Reply 11
May I suggest going to the HCPC UK website and look at the international route for those of you with non-UK qualifications. They will assessed your degree and you maybe admitted to the register if you meet the requirements. Make sure to read the application carefully. Www.hcpc-uk.org/apply/international
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I am in the same situation, in the IBMS website there is no information about that, can any one please tell us how do we apply for a training in an accredited lab after IBMS assessement? , and how long does it take?

Thank you for your answers :smile:
Reply 13
Hi I have to complete biochemistry and cell biology in order to do the biomedical science degree through the university of ulster and I was wondering where did u study the modules with?
Hi all.

I am due to start my top-up modules at Ulster in September. I am doing cellular pathology, clinical biochemistry, haematology and transfusion science and medical microbiology. Anyone else starting in September?

Cheers :smile:
Original post by Lynda22
I am in the same situation, in the IBMS website there is no information about that, can any one please tell us how do we apply for a training in an accredited lab after IBMS assessement? , and how long does it take?

Thank you for your answers :smile:

Hi,

I am working as a healthcare science associate practitioner in an NHS Histopathology lab at the moment and they are allowing me to do my registration portfolio. So maybe try applying for similar roles, either HCS AP or MLA? Failing that, you can visit NHS laboratories and ask if they would be willing to allow you to carry out your registration portfolio with them? You would have to pay for the portfolio which is around £120 and their training officer would need to agree to it as they have to be the one who sends off for your portfolio.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi,
I've completed all the modules I can do by distance learning at Ulster Uni. It was mostly enjoyable and interesting and not as big a task as it first seemed when I started, although it has taken me two years. I still need to complete Anatomy and Physiology modules which I am considering doing at Abertay Uni in Dundee. Has anyone else done this or is anyone doing a Biomedical Science degree at Abertay? Its not distance learning so I'd have take time off from work. I'm not working in an NHS lab at the moment but I would support what Histopath:smile: has said about getting any role you can in an NHS lab and then hopefully working your way through the portfolio. I was told by the IBMS that you didn't specifically have to be in a trainee biomedical science post to complete your portfolio.
M
Original post by Histopath:)
Hi all.

I am due to start my top-up modules at Ulster in September. I am doing cellular pathology, clinical biochemistry, haematology and transfusion science and medical microbiology. Anyone else starting in September?

Cheers :smile:

I'm currently studying haematology and immunology via Ulster distance learning right now! Have you started yet?
Also by any chance does anyone know when the January exams started for haematology and immunology modules last year / previous years?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zed11
Hi

I have quite a number of top up modules I need to do - I was looking at Ulster university but not sure if its too late to join for the February intake. I will be speaking to the bioscience team tomorrow.

These are the modules I need to do:

Immunology, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Cellular Pathology, Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical Immunology, Haematology, Transfusion Science and Medical Microbiology.

I think immunology and microbiology hopefully come under medical microbiology and clinical immunology? I am not sure.

My friend at work did distance learning with Ulster and she loved it. She is on her way in gaining her portfolio now. Hopefully our time comes soon :frown:

Medical Microbiology and immunology are two separate modules unfortunately. I'm doing immunology and haematology right now. Did you start in February or this month? I've got cell path and clinical biochemistry out of the way now, thankfully!

Latest

Trending

Trending