The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It is the land of the free, paid for in the blood of our patriots.It is a democracy where people are allowed to fail if that is their fate, or succeed if that is their fortune, But that does not mean we are our brothers keeper. The european health care is a failure. You should get educated, and get a job or start a business. Freedom is not free, we paid for it.
Land of the Free? There are still states where members of the same sex struggle to get married, but you can marry a horse :s-smilie:

I don't mind America on the whole, just the ridiculously right wing traditionalists. They're probably still our bestest buddies though really.
Reply 3
america is just a blight on the world, people like otkem admire it and people like dykwia come from there, you cant get worse, the education system is appalling, the healthcare system is to any human with even a tiny bit of compassion utterly disgusting, the amount of racism and homophobia is enough to make me sick.

oh that and the annoying over patriotism, the constant banging on about the constitution, and the fact they seem to think they are the saviours of the world or something from the evil commies.

stupid country
Reply 4
i guess now is not the right time to say that ive always wanted to go to america...
i'll just stay quiet then ....
Reply 5
America - Land of the free? or the home of the slaves...
Original post by ak137

Abolished in 1865. I think you're a bit out of date.
Reply 7
Sure it is the land of the free.
You are free to sell yourself to the highest bidder.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I quite like the USA internally, it's foreign policy from the 1950s onwards has been destructive to the world and the USA itself really.
Reply 9
Original post by Molts
Sure it is the land of the free.
You are free to sell yourself to the highest bidder.

Loool +rep
Original post by Ferdowsi
I quite like the USA internally, it's foreign policy from the 1950s onwards has been destructive to the world and the USA itself really.

1945* :colonhash:
Original post by ak137

Slavery wasn't exclusive to or created by America... It has always existed.
Reply 11
Land of the Free - Built on the Genocide of millions of Native Red Indians.
Reply 12
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
Slavery wasn't exclusive to or created by America... It has always existed.

Original post by Patriot Rich
Abolished in 1865. I think you're a bit out of date.

I think he was trying to say they were slaves to capitalism or nationalism. I don't think he was referring to black slaves.
Original post by Death.
Land of the Free - Built on the Genocide of millions of Native Red Indians.

This pisses me of so much :angry:
Reply 14
I am a straight white male so I don't care.
Grats on the stupid generalisation. The population of America is 300 million, half the whole of Europe. Climates range from a volcanic Island, to Arctic Tundra, to open plains to desert. It has six time zones. Its ignorant to generalise all Americans, just as it would be ignorant to generalise the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy and Switzerland as if they a single entity.

Each state sets its own economic and social policy. Some states are doing much better on the equality front than we are. Many states allow same-sex marriage and are well ahead of the UK in that regard. Right now there is a big campaign to get New Jersey to move from civil partnership to allowing gay marriage, I don't see an active campaign for that over here.

You can't just make a stupid stereotype and think "oh dumb Americans" anymore than you can say "oh dumb Europeans" about the racism in Paris.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jacketpotato
Grats on the stupid generalisation. The population of America is 300 million, half the whole of Europe. Climates range from a volcanic Island, to Arctic Tundra, to open plains to desert. It has six time zones. Its pig ignorant to generalise all Americans, just as it would be pig ignorant to generalise the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy and Switzerland as if they a single entity.

Each state sets its own economic and social policy. Some states are doing much better on the equality front than we are. Many states allow same-sex marriage and are well ahead of the UK in that regard. Right now there is a big campaign to get New Jersey to move from civil partnership to allowing gay marriage, I don't see an active campaign for that over here.

You can't just make a stupid stereotype and think "oh dumb Americans" anymore than you can say "oh dumb Europeans" about the racism in Paris.

Well said!

+rep
Original post by jacketpotato
Grats on the stupid generalisation. The population of America is 300 million, half the whole of Europe. Climates range from a volcanic Island, to Arctic Tundra, to open plains to desert. It has six time zones. Its ignorant to generalise all Americans, just as it would be ignorant to generalise the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy and Switzerland as if they a single entity.

Well to be fair, a lot of Americans do already generalise europe that way.

Also, while I agree that you can't generalise americans, your post is suggesting that the cultural and historical and economic differences between american states are comparable to the differences between european countries... the difference is just not in the same league. You're arguments not inherently wrong just the differences are a lot smaller, so generalisation is more possible
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Ferdowsi

I think the slaves in the former communist states have a slightly different view.
Reply 19
Original post by Cent
I think the slaves in the former communist states have a slightly different view.

Firstly the 'east' was never communist. Even the words "communist states" is a contradiction in terms.

More over what did these slaves have ? :
A guaranteed job
A guaranteed house
Free excellent and guaranteed healthcare and education right up to and including university
Low Crime
Holidays for all
Women's rights (the USSR even had paid maternity leave since the 1920s, something America is still behind on)
Excellent and dependable infrastructure
Mutual respect for one another.

Etc

The opposite is true for all the “former communist states” today, and most other coutries.

Latest

Trending

Trending