The Student Room Group

Law with French Language

Poll

Which is the better University for Law with French

Next year I want to study Law with French; and I already have unconditionals for Glasgow and Strathclyde universities, these being my two top choices.

Now I'm stuck between them, could someone tell me the advantages of each of these universities for this course?
Reply 1
Original post by Hay1994
Next year I want to study Law with French; and I already have unconditionals for Glasgow and Strathclyde universities, these being my two top choices.

Now I'm stuck between them, could someone tell me the advantages of each of these universities for this course?

Im also going to study Law, except on its own without french. But i assume its the same in terms of the best univeristies to study the subject at, and if i were you i would most definetly be going for Glasgow. There wouldn't be any doubt in my mind. Glasgow is a russel group univeristy which means its in the top bracket of Uni's throughout the UK, so its reputation is fabulous. Strathclyde is better in terms of Business but thats all. So yeah, defo's go for Glasgow.
Reply 2
Original post by kirsti
Im also going to study Law, except on its own without french. But i assume its the same in terms of the best univeristies to study the subject at, and if i were you i would most definetly be going for Glasgow. There wouldn't be any doubt in my mind. Glasgow is a russel group univeristy which means its in the top bracket of Uni's throughout the UK, so its reputation is fabulous. Strathclyde is better in terms of Business but thats all. So yeah, defo's go for Glasgow.

I don't think there's actually an appreciable difference. Certainly there's a rivalry, and it's likely that more West of Scotland Partners will have gone to Glasgow, but it's not in any way as clear cut as you make out.
Reply 3
Original post by Norton1
I don't think there's actually an appreciable difference. Certainly there's a rivalry, and it's likely that more West of Scotland Partners will have gone to Glasgow, but it's not in any way as clear cut as you make out.

in terms of Law, yes there is. each to their own and everything but im pretty sure every other person on this website would agree with me. even Strathclyde would agree.
Reply 4
Original post by kirsti
in terms of Law, yes there is. each to their own and everything but im pretty sure every other person on this website would agree with me. even Strathclyde would agree.

I gained my law degree at Glasgow. You were saying?
Reply 5
Original post by kirsti
so you have a law degree yet your going to do another one ? that doesnt really make much sense. you asked for an opinion, so i gave you one. you obviously didnt like what i said so now your getting quite aggressive ? hmm, not going to waste anymore time trying to help here.

I wasn't the OP so:

(1) I'm not doing another degree
(2) I wasn't asking for your help

Incidentally, I was being factual rather than aggressive.
Reply 6
Original post by Norton1
I gained my law degree at Glasgow. You were saying?

so, that has any relevance how ? , the person asked for an opinion, so i gave her one. no need to get on your high horse and start an argument. i think Glasgow is a better university to go to. a lot of people would agree, its my opinion so whats your problem ? im supporting your choice of university ...
Reply 7
Original post by Norton1
I wasn't the OP so:

(1) I'm not doing another degree
(2) I wasn't asking for your help

Incidentally, I was being factual rather than aggressive.

yeah i realised you werent the OP so deleted my comment and re-wrote another one. and the manner in which you replied last time came across rather aggresively.
Reply 8
Original post by kirsti
so, that has any relevance how ? , the person asked for an opinion, so i gave her one. no need to get on your high horse and start an argument. i think Glasgow is a better university to go to. a lot of people would agree, its my opinion so whats your problem ? im supporting your choice of university ...

My problem is that it's something you don't know very much about and you were incredibly dismissive of Strathclyde which is actually a very good University. Personally, I really like Glasgow, I think it's brilliant, I know it has some of the best academic staff in the country and definitely the nicest buildings in Glasgow. But, that doesn't blind me to the fact that Strathclyde is also a very good University.
Reply 9
Original post by Norton1
My problem is that it's something you don't know very much about and you were incredibly dismissive of Strathclyde which is actually a very good University. Personally, I really like Glasgow, I think it's brilliant, I know it has some of the best academic staff in the country and definitely the nicest buildings in Glasgow. But, that doesn't blind me to the fact that Strathclyde is also a very good University.

i never said it was a bad univeristy ? i know its business school is world renowned and its education school is also superior, but again in terms of Law, evidence suggests that Glasgow is far better than Strathclyde and one of the very best uni's to go to to study Law. There must have been a reason why you chose you study at Glasgow instead of Strathclyde.
Reply 10
Original post by kirsti
i never said it was a bad univeristy ? i know its business school is world renowned and its education school is also superior, but again in terms of Law, evidence suggests that Glasgow is far better than Strathclyde and one of the very best uni's to go to to study Law. There must have been a reason why you chose you study at Glasgow instead of Strathclyde.

Glasgow gave me an easier offer? That was the main one!
Reply 11
Original post by Norton1
Glasgow gave me an easier offer? That was the main one!

look, to be perfectly honest, i dont really care. my opinion remains the same that in terms of Law, Glasgow wins hands down. in terms of any business related subjects then Strathclyde is far superior. If it was me, i would go for Glasgow in a heartbeat.
Reply 12
Thanks for all your help.

My problem is that at Strathclyde this joint degree becomes a 5 year course, while at Glasgow it is still 4. Obviously, this puts more pressure on the year abroad, which might be a good thing or not..?

In terms of courses, I'm confident that both Universities are great, and any professional I have ever spoken to has said that they do not consider Glasgow and Strathclyde applicants to be any different.
Reply 13
Original post by Hay1994
Thanks for all your help.

My problem is that at Strathclyde this joint degree becomes a 5 year course, while at Glasgow it is still 4. Obviously, this puts more pressure on the year abroad, which might be a good thing or not..?

In terms of courses, I'm confident that both Universities are great, and any professional I have ever spoken to has said that they do not consider Glasgow and Strathclyde applicants to be any different.

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference, the friends I have who went abroad did very well there and I don't think anyone felt that it hurt their final degree classification. In fact for a few of them it basically got them a first.

I think what should really be more important is going round both Universities and seeing which one strikes you as a better fit. There's an open day at Glasgow tomorrow although it's probably too late if you weren't planning on going anyway.
Hi!

I'm in my final year of law and history joint honours at Glasgow.I dont know what Strathclyde is like, so I am simply going to talk about Glasgow!

I want to start my saying I didn't particularly enjoy law and I am not taking it as a career, so that might effect what I say but I will try to be as objective as possible.:wink:

If you do Joint honours it is easier to get a better overall grade if French is your strong point. History has really helped me to get a good grade and hopefully a 2.1 at the end of the day. I will warn that most people drop out of doing both subjects at the end of second year, but I'd advise keeping it as it breaks up the law. I couldn't have got through law without my history classes.

For year abroad, because you are joint honours and don't do ALL first and second year courses in first and second year, (Criminal law (1st year) and Jurisprudence (2nd year) and Law and Government (2nd year) are done in 3rd year when you catch up) you can only go abroad for HALF a year. But, it might be different because of the requirement you spend significant time living abroad for a language degree.

The law is the same in Scotland no matter where you learn, so the substantive content of the courses in Glasgow and Strathclyde wont vary much. Have a look on the law schools website for both unis and see how you feel. At the end of the day you are studying there for 4 or 5 years so make sure you choose a place you feel comfortable. Glasgow won me over with it's campus and the fact it teaches medieval history, and I don't regret my choice. :smile:

Good luck deciding and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Quick Reply

Latest