The Student Room Group

Sociology Exam Problem

I sat my AS Families and Households and for weeks i've been worried as i didnt refer to the Item A etc however i did mention something from it i think ...i totally forgot until my teacher mentioned it to the class..Will i lose out on marks ?
It depends entirely on the question. If it says "acording to Item A" then, if you don't refer to the Item, you won't get the marks. However, this tends to be small mark questions so you won't miss many marks.

If it says "with reference to Item A and other sources" then as long as you made some reference to the Item you'll be fine (and even if you didn't you won't lose anything of any consequence). For higher mark questions students who stick to the Item/s don't generally score highly.

My advice is that it's always easy to worry after an exam that you didn't do what others did - personally I think it's wrong for teachers / students to go over an exam before the marks are known; there's no point and it just creates unnecessary worries. The time to worry is if the result is bad, not whether you should have written something but didn't.
Reply 2
Original post by Chris.Livesey
It depends entirely on the question. If it says "acording to Item A" then, if you don't refer to the Item, you won't get the marks. However, this tends to be small mark questions so you won't miss many marks.

If it says "with reference to Item A and other sources" then as long as you made some reference to the Item you'll be fine (and even if you didn't you won't lose anything of any consequence). For higher mark questions students who stick to the Item/s don't generally score highly.

My advice is that it's always easy to worry after an exam that you didn't do what others did - personally I think it's wrong for teachers / students to go over an exam before the marks are known; there's no point and it just creates unnecessary worries. The time to worry is if the result is bad, not whether you should have written something but didn't.

all i said for the social policy essay was " as item a suggests....." would that be fine? also foe the first essay on family sizes, i gave reasons such as divorce, fem movements, lone parent families, but didnt mention birth or death rates...and even when the question asked to "examine the REASONS and EFFECTS" i only managed to give the reasons, and not the effects! :/ how many marks will i loose?
The good news is you won't miss many marks for not referring to the Item - unless you're asked to explicitly identify something in the Item it's basically there to stimulate your thoughts.

The bad news is that if you don't answer the question then you potentially lose a lot of marks. If it asks for reasons and effects and you only did the first then you potentially lose half the marks. However, although it's always good to clearly signpost your answer ("the effects are...") you may well have picked up marks for this part of the answer if the examiner interprets what you've written as relevant to both parts of the question.
Reply 4
Original post by Chris.Livesey
The good news is you won't miss many marks for not referring to the Item - unless you're asked to explicitly identify something in the Item it's basically there to stimulate your thoughts.

The bad news is that if you don't answer the question then you potentially lose a lot of marks. If it asks for reasons and effects and you only did the first then you potentially lose half the marks. However, although it's always good to clearly signpost your answer ("the effects are...") you may well have picked up marks for this part of the answer if the examiner interprets what you've written as relevant to both parts of the question.

well, i just put about
divorce rates
lone parent families
feminist movements,
and this has all caused smaller family sizes...or something along those lines...with alot of theories and quotes put in...

do you reckon i could atleast get a 10/24 on it? considering i have put in theories and A02 Evaluation? but the second social policy essay was really good :smile: think i might have got 18/19 out of 24... i really want a C in this exam, as it would mean no retake for may 2012...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending