The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The Lawyer
That is a complete fallacy. I did law A-Level and was offered a place at 6 top unis (including Cambridge). I'd heard similar comments and actually made a point of asking admissions before applying. I'd actually recommend studying law A-level because it means you aren't thrown in at the deep end when you start your degree.

Fairplay to you. I do however expect that in addition to Law, you had (at least) 3 other traditional a levels. Respect anyhow.

Just to throw my penny in about A-level law... if you enjoy it, and think you're going to get an A in it, then do it!

I managed to get in to all the unis I applied to with it (Cambridge, Nottingham, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QM). However, if you have any doubts as to a particular uni's attitude towards it, simply ask them! I too had heard such horror stories (to my dismay, because I hadn't picked A-level Law because I thought it was an easy option; rather I had picked it because I was genuinely interested in it and wanted to do a degree in it!)

And in response to the above quote stating that such success probably depended on doing 3 traditional A-levels alongside Law, I only did 3 in total: Law, History and Economics (unless you count Gen. Studies as a traditional A-level - I certainly don't!!! :p: ) However, I'm not saying in any way that doing 4 A-levels is not going to work in your favour, because it probably will!

Finally, good luck everyone with your uni applications! And specifically to the original poster, I'm sure you have a magnificent chance of getting into the unis you listed if you get AAA! :smile:
Reply 61
azam
@ the orignial poster, if you get AAAB at AS, a good lnat score and write a good personal statement, there is no reason why any of the unis you listed won't take you. All the london unis will also look at you though lse will frown on the gcse's cos they absolutely fawn on gcse results. and oxbridge would be worth a try to.

@ the person who sed AAAC is better than AAA, this is untrue
Unis know that a lot of people are restricted to doing 3 A-levels so in the end, if they see AAA, they know that's the best that thye could have doen. AAAC is by no means bad but the top unis will note that you didnt do consistently well across your subjects

hope this helps

Yes, that's what i meant, they really don't care, in fact they may find your C a little strange amongst all those A's. My advice would be three A-levels, and you can spend the time you would have spent revising english lang on your other subjects, to ensure you do your best.
:smile:
helki
Yes, that's what i meant, they really don't care, in fact they may find your C a little strange amongst all those A's. My advice would be three A-levels, and you can spend the time you would have spent revising english lang on your other subjects, to ensure you do your best.
:smile:

well said. And to Code Red, basically I think you should be able to manage a place at Sheffield and Newcastle. As for the rest it is hard to say, espcially Warwick, which I completely know nothing about.
i had my heart set on doing law at university because i want to be a solicitor, but having read some threads on this same subject, it seems like law is such an incredibly competitive subject and im starting to wonder whether id be better off doing something less competitive (probably either maths or economics) and then doing a conversion after the degree. what do you think?
Reply 64
Good in theory, but usually pretty expensive and time consuming.
alison_141288
i had my heart set on doing law at university because i want to be a solicitor, but having read some threads on this same subject, it seems like law is such an incredibly competitive subject and im starting to wonder whether id be better off doing something less competitive (probably either maths or economics) and then doing a conversion after the degree. what do you think?

Law has always being competitive. But if your grades are good, it is possible that you will still make it into a good uni regardless of the fierce competition. Doing a conversion course will probably spare you the intense competition, but it is a waste of time and money IMO.
Deathscythe HG
Law has always being competitive. But if your grades are good, it is possible that you will still make it into a good uni regardless of the fierce competition. Doing a conversion course will probably spare you the intense competition, but it is a waste of time and money IMO.

i always thought that it was a waste of time and money as well because i know that i want to be a solicitor so knew id have to do a conversion course. however, although iv got good grades for gcses, im finding A-levels a lot harder and am sceptical as to whether i can get the three As it seems is needed by most unis to do law. hmm...
well you never know until you try. If you are not aiming for the elites (Oxbridge, London colleges),chances are quite high, if you asked me. One of the top law schools in the country, Bristol didn't ask for AAA too. So I wouldn't worry too much if i were you. Just try your best. And trust me, it's not worth it to do the conversion course.

Latest

Trending

Trending