The Student Room Group

Help me decide...

Hi guys,

I have received all of my offers to study Computer Science for 2012 entry.

The Universities are:

- The University of Nottingham
- The University of Birmingham
- Queen Mary, UoL
- Aston
- Nottingham Trent

Can somebody help me decide? Which is the most prestigious? Which should I firm and insure? Opinions please :]

EDIT: I have been to open days and I really like them. I just want some extra opinions please.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I would take Nottingham. However you cannot just choose one because someone told you to do so. Open days are the thing to go!
Reply 2
For 'prestige' then it has to be Birmingham or Nottingham. Both big names, big research universities, well established, well regarded and in the Russell Group (for what that is worth). Least prestigious would be Trent? With QM and Aston somewhere in the middle.

Computer Science at Nottingham seems to get talked up a lot on this forum, although I have no idea if it lives up to the hype or not.

Only you can decide which course / Uni combination is best for you. Please don't pick on prestige though, go for the one you think is right for you, regardless of what others think. You will have to spend 3 or 4 years living and studying there after all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lakhvir.Singh
Hi guys,

I have received all of my offers to study Computer Science for 2012 entry.

The Universities are:

- The University of Nottingham
- The University of Birmingham
- Queen Mary, UoL
- Aston
- Nottingham Trent

Can somebody help me decide? Which is the most prestigious? Which should I firm and insure? Opinions please :]

EDIT: I have been to open days and I really like them. I just want some extra opinions please.

In my opinion, my choice would be either University of Nottingham or Queen Mary university.

Last year I had offer from Nottingham university it was my insurance choice the only reason why I choose against going there was because I want to go to London (So from this you get why its between Queen's Mary).

The modules they offered last year were extremely interesting, and the campus looked lovely.
Reply 4
I also had offers from Nottingham and Birmingham. From my research Notts is better than Birmingham -- in general and for computer science -- as a university.

I'm currently picking between Nottingham and Lancaster, but out of your options, I'd personally advise Nottingham.

That said, rankings and so on are just numbers when it comes down to it. Your personal experience of the places should be more important as you're the one who's got to spend 3+ years there!
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely going to insure Queen Mary, it's just deciding between Birmingham and Nottingham is sooo hard :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Lakhvir.Singh
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely going to insure Queen Mary, it's just deciding between Birmingham and Nottingham is sooo hard :frown:

I don't think anyone would disagree that both Birmingham and Nottingham are excellent universities. So, what is important to you in making the decision? (course, uni, location, money, prospects, etc etc?)

Do a list of plus and minus points for each one and try to figure out which Uni fits best.
Reply 7
Nottingham and Birmingham is a tough choice!

If I were in your shoes i'd choose Nottingham. It's known worldwide and thus may hopefully improve your employment prospects. Also, as a city i'd choose Nottingham. No offence to Birmingham students, but when I visited it just seemed really dull and lifeless.
Reply 8
I'm at Birmingham, and it's perfect for me. It also felt right on my two open days.

Did you not have any preference between the two when you visited?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending