The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ra Ra
:biggrin: When I first became vegetarian, it took me months to remember that gelatine was animal-based. I was just stuffing my face with jelly one day until it hit me. 'Huh, jelly sounds just like...uh oh'.

I miss jelly :frown:
The day I found out that strawberry bonbons have gelatine in them was a bad one. M&S makes cheap gelatine free jelly with fruit in the middle if you really miss it? :tongue:
Reply 121
Original post by marcusfox
Most, if not all drugs are tested on animals, especially drugs that are popular today and have been in use for years.

If they weren't tested on animals for safety and efficacy, it would be very difficult for the manufacturers to get the necessary authorisations to commence human trials.

I don't take any drugs...
Reply 122
Original post by inspiration91
Why don't vegetarians eat egg? :s-smilie:

They do- but it doesn't make any sense that they do because at the end of the day, an egg is supposed to be 'living' and growing into an alive, breathing creature.
I didn't know there were people who called themselves vegetarians while eating fish 0_0 that's weird. It would make more sense for someone like that to say that the only meat they eat is fish
Reply 124
Vegetarians who eat fish are Pescetarians.

Why do you care whether they eat fish or not? There's nothing wrong with choosing not to eat certain foods, it's peoples own decision, and people choose not to eat meat (and/or fish) for many reasons, not just because it is the flesh of an animal. I've never actually met anyone who's said they don't like eating animals but they eat fish because it doesn't count... usually pescetarians don't eat other meat for health reasons, similar to how some people don't eat red meat but will eat white meat.

I do agree that vegetarian is the wrong label for them, but I don't really care if people label themselves as it... I imagine it's a lot easier to get the point across that way. Like I said above, it doesn't make a difference to other people. The only problem would be if people labelled fish AS vegetarian, which doesn't usually happen.

xxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 125
my mum went for a few years calling herself a "vegetarian" but still eating fish AND CHICKEN!?

she claimed that because i didn't eat either (and hadnt done for about 2 years) i was a vegan despite still eating eggs & milk :confused:

she only stopped when (the opposite to most of the posts on here) a waiter pointed it out to her that she had announced "were both vegetarian" and then chosen a chicken dish. :facepalm:
Reply 126
I call myself a Vegetarian and I eat fish.

I understand why people don't understand it, but its perfectly clear in my brain.
I agree they should just call themselves pescetarians

I think a lot of people just want to be labelled a vegetarian

The only thing that annoys me is when they think they're better than everyone else because they don't eat meat/poultry :shifty:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 128
My girlfriend's a Pescetarian, but she didn't decide that because of animal protection and stuff, but just because she doesn't like meat... She just calls herself a pescetarian because then people instantly understands what she can eat :smile: It does work to my advantage though :P I've worked out if I buy meaty food, then she can't do that annoying thing girlfriends do where they nick all of it :biggrin:
Original post by Abc1234x
They do- but it doesn't make any sense that they do because at the end of the day, an egg is supposed to be 'living' and growing into an alive, breathing creature.

No it's not! lol that's why I don't understand why they don't eat eggs!

The eggs we eat are unfertilised and so would never grow into anything :smile:
Original post by inspiration91
No it's not! lol that's why I don't understand why they don't eat eggs!

The eggs we eat are unfertilised and so would never grow into anything :smile:

I was just about to correct them but you beat me to it :P It really annoys me when people say all eggs have a chicken inside them
Reply 131
Original post by kerily
You're not a vegetarian if you eat fish. Simple as that.

You're quite correct; if you eat fish then you aren't a vegetarian. You're a pescetarian.

Many people simply don't like the taste or texture of meat, whereas enjoy fish.
Reply 132
Original post by Daviscon
My girlfriend's a Pescetarian, but she didn't decide that because of animal protection and stuff, but just because she doesn't like meat... She just calls herself a pescetarian because then people instantly understands what she can eat :smile: It does work to my advantage though :P I've worked out if I buy meaty food, then she can't do that annoying thing girlfriends do where they nick all of it :biggrin:

I'm in the exact same situation! It's great! :biggrin:
People who eat fish aren't vegetarians, simple.
Well im pescetarian mainly because i just dont like the taste of meat, and I like the taste of fish. Does this make me confused-i dont think so
Not all vegetarians are vegetarians for ethical reasons, for a start. Also, many people value meat and animals differently to fish. They're really quite different, one is land mammal, one is a species of the sea. Others simply don't like the taste/texture of meat, and you cannot compare fish/meat in those fields really. Also, why do people care so much what OTHERS are eating? Let veggies be veggies, vegans be vegans, meat eaters be meat eaters. Food is fuel in whatever form, just enjoy what you like.
Original post by beccac94
I was just about to correct them but you beat me to it :P It really annoys me when people say all eggs have a chicken inside them

Agreed! I was telling my veggie friend this and she wouldn't believe me until we googled it! And then she didn't know why she wasn't allowed to eat eggs.. felt a bit bad about confusing her though! :colondollar:
fish are cold blooded animals. Certain fish dont fit the picture you have shown. They dont have anywhere close to human emotions or even basic animal emotions. They feel little or no pain = water vegetable!!
Reply 138
A fish is not a vegetable and those who eat fish cannot call themselves vegetarians. As OP suggests, they are confused.

A better word would be "stupid" but I guess that will get me a warning here.
As a pescetarian, I just want to say you have to draw a line somewhere. We are closer to pigs than pigs are to fish. You have to eat some other form of living organism, which means killing it, (ignoring fruitarians here, sorry guys!) to live yourself. I'm guessing most people here don't eat humans? Everyone has a line they don't cross. I could just as easily find a cross section diagram of a human and believe me, you find more similarities there with the human and the rabbit/thing, then with that rabbit/thing and the fish

From an environmental point of view as well, cattle is a horrendous use of land. If it were used for crops instead, there would be far less problems with starvation in the world. What else do you propose we use the sea for?

Please do not call me confused. As somebody who has made the dedicated decision to avoid most forms of meat, I have thought about this a lot.

EDIT: Just to say, I do call myself a pescetarian, but most people don't know what that means. I then clarify "a vegetarian that eats fish" rather than "a meat eater than doesn't eat chicken, beef, lamb, pork, quail, duck...." because it's a lot easier. Not confusion on my part. My diet is closer to a vegetarian diet (eat fish maybe once a week) than to the diet of the average meat eater.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest