The Student Room Group

Presentations...Love them or Loathe them?

Scroll to see replies

I love doing them at college but not sure if I'll like them at Uni.
Reply 41
If I am presenting, I am not bothered.

However, if someone else is presenting I get way too bored. I end up day dreaming. Regardless of how good they are!
I truly hate it, I had to do a presentation for a module I have little knowledge of and truly struggle to take an interest in. Somehow I managed to get a first :confused: so I assume I only feel absolutely terrible at them, but others don't see it. Either that or they were pity marks.:redface:
Original post by aeterno

Group presentations are an absolute nightmare though. There's always one tosser in the group and working with other people generally just pisses me off. I hate this whole 'oh but you'll have to work with others when you enter the world of work'...NO! If people didn't pull their weight in that situation, they'd get the sack - how the **** is it the same!? /rant

I almost had a row with my tutor over this exact point a couple of weeks ago, in the she just shrugged and said it'll be fine. My University place depends on me doing well in a group presentation. At our last 'meeting' only me and one other person turned up. Absolute joke.
Reply 44
Original post by *whatkatiedidnext*
I almost had a row with my tutor over this exact point a couple of weeks ago, in the she just shrugged and said it'll be fine. My University place depends on me doing well in a group presentation. At our last 'meeting' only me and one other person turned up. Absolute joke.

Exactly! I just don't see the point in them at all. Especially when everyone gets the same grade regardless of who put the most effort it :dry: I'm not that keen on individual presentations either but at least I only have to rely on myself - so much less hassle! :tongue:
Reply 45
Not looking forward to doing presentations at uni at all, I struggle enough talking over a powerpoint infront of 15 people at school :frown:
Loathe, especially when you have to do them with a parter - I had to do that in 1st year and we were assigned random partners and given their uni e-mail address so that we could organise to meet up and research the topic/organise the presentation. The guy who I had to work with never responded to the e-mails so I did the research myself, turned up on the day and he basically just stood next to me nodding at everything I said. Pointless.

Individual ones are annoying, I could better spend my time doing essays that actually count towards my grade. I'm not ever going to apply for a job where presentations are part of the role so I don't see why they emphasise it so much in school/uni.
Reply 47
I have a love-hate relationship with presentations. I hate them because i'm a nervous wreck, hate public speaking and i end up stumbling on my words/stuttering and at the same time i love presentations because i see it as a way to build my confidence. Presentations are graded, so i know i have to ace them and 'fake' confidence to get through it. The worst part of presentations is the Q&A part, thats what gets me.

My first year presentations were dreadful, i made little eye contact, my hands were shaking and i raced through the presentation so quick that there was a long awkward silence at the end where people were trying to process all the crap that was coming out of my mouth. :frown:
Reply 48
LOATHE.
i cannot put into words how much i hate presentations and how badly i suck at them. :frown:

working on my dissertation proposal at the moment and i just feel like puking everytime i open it up to work on it. :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by Emma-21
I just had what hopefully is my last Uni presentation ever!

And from my first year the teachers always said I would get used to them, but I never did. When I present in front of the class, even if it's a group presentation, my voice shakes, my hands shake, my face goes red!

I hate them soo much!!!

Your last Uni presentation, but assuming you want a decent job after your degree, it almost certainly won't be your last presentation.

Probably you aren't doing enough of them to get really comfortable. When you have to do them every week it becomes routine and you stop worrying.
Reply 50
I'm good at them but I hate them, especially group presentations.

I'm not one for stage fright (except for the occasional piss) because I'm a musician, you need some balls to get on stage and play to others or I don't think it's worth learning, not for me anyway.

But it's just the entire idea of presentations on my course, because it's all boring **** no one cares about, and it's not like I'm getting paid to convey this boring ****. If I was allowed to do something interesting it'd be different but it's always bull**** "oh this is our fake business plan" "online marketing vs tradtional" "we're looking for an investment on this fake business we've been running virtually for 2 years"
Seems like a total waste of time, might as well have written an essay.
It depends what topic they are on. I really didn't like the one I did for a language and linguistics module on Thailand, the other girl had a much better idea what we were supposed to be doing than I did. I didn't like the one I had to do for an education module, I hated it so much I can't even remember what it was about. I did enjoy the one I did for Shakespeare on film module where we had to take a scene, any scene from a film that was an adaptation of Shakespeare, I did west side story and just talk about it. The other one I enjoyed was about how popular media affects a child's education and I chose to look at the representation of women in Disney, that was really fun cos I love Disney. I was a little worried cos we had to use a clip of film and everyone else who was doing Disney had gone to you-tube and chosen a pre-made clip showing exactly what they wanted to from various Disney films, whereas I had chosen to actually use an extract from The Little Mermaid.
I quite enjoy doing presentations on things I know a lot about and find interesting. For example, if I have done some kind of essay or project on something, or seen a patient with a really interesting condition, it is enjoyable to discuss it with others and share what I know. Lately however, I have had to do quite a few presentations on boring topics I don't necessarily know a huge amount about, and I hate that. E.g. presentations on teamwork skills, hobbies (had to do this to practice presentation skills), art in medicine. I am quite shy but I think my presentation skills have improved a lot as we have to do so many.
Reply 53
Original post by VickyTink
Loathe them.

But that would be because I seem to have an inability to speak...not just in front of a crowd, but when i'm in a conversation with another person...happens when i'm typing too. I've never thought i'm dyslexic, but there's certain words I can't say at all, no matter how much I try.

I don't mind speaking in front of a crowd though...it's just really annoying that I can't say words which need to be said as there isn't another alternative!

Happens to me all the time, we had interviews (for coursework) the other day and my brain froze for about 5 seconds and it was really awkward but I was so annoyed afterwards.

For presentations I don't have to do them in front of the lecture thankfully since I have an anxiety disorder & the disability team ordered them I should be allowed to do it in front of the lecturer :smile: But back in school I used to become depressed and even ill during the waiting period leading up to presentations (even if it was weeks away), it was very stressful.
wouldn't say I love or loathe them, but I'm OK at them. I don't tend to get nervous with presentations as long as I know what I'm talking about
Reply 55
OP, I'm EXACTLY the same as you! I absolutely hate them. I'm rubbish at any form of public speaking. Thankfully I don't have anymore to do at uni now :woo:
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't like them if they are group presentations because sometimes you get stuck with someone who thinks they know it all when they're on the completely wrong path or someone who doesn't actually do anything so the pressure is all on you. I prefer working alone for presentations even though I find them nerve-wracking!

I want to be a teacher in future so I'm gonna have to get used to public speaking sooner or later, it's easier when you keep in mind that everyone else has to do it so you might as well act confident!
Reply 58
Original post by Joe-91
You should be thankful, given that presentation skills will be the only benefit taken from your **** degree.

See now I'm curious... What course do you do??

Tourism is one of, if not the fastest growing industries in the world. If you actually knew what you were talking about instead of just saying stupidness, you would know this. :biggrin:
Hatehatehate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending