The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Llewellyn
Spoiler because I worry that I'm being a bit extraneous.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by KingMessi
Just out of interest, would you like my PS to give you a few ideas of how to set your statement up?

Could I have a read? :blush: I'm not applying for English, obviously, but I like reading personal statements. Especially good ones.

That comes across as terribly sad, but you know, it's nice to read what people are passionate about and, by virtue of the subject, English ones tend to be quite convincing/effective at portraying that. Sneaky rhetoric coming in to play, perhaps.

Original post by Kalliope
Good :smile: *fingers crossed*

PS-wise I have a sort of rough plan for the sort of things I'd like to mention but the thought of having so little space and so many texts -and have to say something profoundly analytical about the texts in the space - :eek3:
I also just find it so hard to come up with reasons for wanting to English that are concise and not rambly or cliched... or don't come down to: "I just love love love love love love love love love it and need desperately to do it and nothing else forever" which isn't really a reason

My first drafts were all over the place, and in some parts cliched and nasty for the sake of trying to 'conform' a bit because of the constant advice of 'first paragraph should be XXX' Second should be this, estalish this. It's like PETAL, only I never used stupid PETAL and used to get a shoot of fear whenever the teacher mentioned it; hypocritical advice of "Don't be formulaic" with "You should use PEE here, PETAL here, STIFF here" (I've just realised most people might not have a clue what I'm on about :facepalm:)

But it's fun to do, in a way... it's the editing that's maddening. Or rather will be maddening; at the moment it's more write, reflect and 'leave space for X and X' and 'don't worry about the fact that you're already 200 over the word count and still have a lot more important stuff to say'... :s-smilie: There will always, always be too much to say in too little space :sadnod:

Spoiler

Original post by Lily Academia
Could I have a read? :blush: I'm not applying for English, obviously, but I like reading personal statements. Especially good ones.

That comes across as terribly sad, but you know, it's nice to read what people are passionate about and, by virtue of the subject, English ones tend to be quite convincing/effective at portraying that. Sneaky rhetoric coming in to play, perhaps.

My first drafts were all over the place, and in some parts cliched and nasty for the sake of trying to 'conform' a bit because of the constant advice of 'first paragraph should be XXX' Second should be this, estalish this. It's like PETAL, only I never used stupid PETAL and used to get a shoot of fear whenever the teacher mentioned it; hypocritical advice of "Don't be formulaic" with "You should use PEE here, PETAL here, STIFF here" (I've just realised most people might not have a clue what I'm on about :facepalm:)

But it's fun to do, in a way... it's the editing that's maddening. Or rather will be maddening; at the moment it's more write, reflect and 'leave space for X and X' and 'don't worry about the fact that you're already 200 over the word count and still have a lot more important stuff to say'... :s-smilie: There will always, always be too much to say in too little space :sadnod:

Spoiler

You've started drafting already? :awesome: The amount of wkxp you've done (plus Summer stuff) sounds wonderful! :biggrin: I suppose it's entirely too early and you're entirely too 'Lily-ly' self-deprecating to let me have a look at your scribbles? Because, like you, I find them really interesting :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Spoiler

Ah okay, thank you anyway. I must say that what I find hardest is trying to "sell myself" because I'm normally quite shy and discreet... especially when it comes to academia. I was only considering using an extended metaphor of perhaps an internal combustion engine or chess strategies (the somewhat clichéd "I am better than the apparent sum of my parts" or "it is a list of calculated and elicited strategies that come together to create a winning formula". But then, you're definitely right that it could come across as arrogant or perhaps even nescient.
There will always, always be too much to say in too little space :sadnod:
I think that is the most veracious assessment of the problem... But then, "it's the same for everyone" I suppose :rolleyes:
Original post by Kalliope
You've started drafting already? :awesome: The amount of wkxp you've done (plus Summer stuff) sounds wonderful! :biggrin: I suppose it's entirely too early and you're entirely too 'Lily-ly' self-deprecating to let me have a look at your scribbles? Because, like you, I find them really interesting :biggrin:

Shanti, you're too good for my scribbles. When they're shaped a bit better I will ask you to critique but for now no no noo noooooo :blush:

You should know I expect the same :yes:

EDIT:

I also use the words 'drafts' loosely. Perhaps first 'saved waffles' would be a better description?
Shanti, you're too good for my scribbles. When they're shaped a bit better I will ask you to critique but for now no no noo noooooo :blush:

You should know I expect the same :yes:

EDIT:

I also use the words 'drafts' loosely. Perhaps first 'saved waffles' would be a better description?

Okay :smile:

I love 'saved waffles'. Mostly everything on my computer is 'saved waffles' :lol:

Also: I'm going to see Stoppard's 'The Real Thing' tonight :dance: Lovely English teacher (who, to return to a previous convo, now as head of UCAS gets the highly enviable job of reading everyone's PSs :eek:) has already seen it and said it's wonderful. I'm very excited!
(edited 11 years ago)
Just submitted my PS to TSR's Personal Statement Library.. What a good feeling :biggrin:..
Only used about 3500 characters in mine :cool:
Original post by Welsh Lady
Thank you very much for that very detailed answer :biggrin:

Concerning my course choice I'm unfortunately in a state of utter confusion :rolleyes: But if I'll go for modern languages I'll take French in any case. It's a bit difficult for me as I'm German so my other foreign language is English...

The Spanish book you mentioned, had you read it before the interviews and then discussed it on your PS?
And why did you choose Hertford?
I visited your college two weeks ago and the porter was so very helpful :^_^: But I could only walk around the first court which was a bit disappointing.

No problem, I'm glad to help! :smile:

Have you thought of starting a language from scratch? Or French by itself- not many apply for sole languages it seems :tongue:

Yes I had read the book before interviews, in fact I had read about 31 foreign books/poetry in preparation :tongue: I hadn't written about that particular book in my PS, though I had mentioned others because of my extended project I mentioned in it. The main reason we talked about that book was because one of the essays I had sent them was on Spanish picaresque novels and so included it :smile:

Hehe the Hertford porters are lovely! I chose Hertford because of the atmosphere when I visited; so homely and everyone knew each other- not too big, not too small. Plus it's right in my favourite part of Oxford- the old traditional part right opposite the Bodleian so it's right near the language faculty library too and a few mins from basically anywhere else! The bridge is also a bonus although it's a tourist hotspot but I like how quiet the surroundings are compared to some of the bigger, more famous colleges :smile: they also have a college cat which of course was fundamental in decision making :tongue: and a spiral staircase leading to the library with beautiful views of the city. It's like a little community all of its own, and it has a student run bar too. Anyway, enough ranting about Hertford! :tongue:

Usually you can visit most of the college no charge but I suppose it's different in busy times! I love the quad though, did you notice the little rainbow flowers on the 'front door'? I think it may just be the prettiest college door in Oxford! Though maybe I'm biased...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by dnumberwang
Only used about 3500 characters in mine :cool:

It's worth pointing out for future applicants though that the line limit is harder to stick to than the character limit. The line limit is 47 lines - and that includes gaps for paragraphs, and I would recommend you try to fit these in, because it really makes your statement look better on the page. Don't fall in the trap of typing it up on Word, thinking you're in the character limit and then discover you're actually over the line limit!

Another tip: it might seem impossible for you to cut down your statement to fit it in with paragraph breaks, but I'd say it's nearly always the case that the benefit from adding breaks compared to what you lose by taking out content is worth it.
I had heaps of ECs but only mentioned the ones relevant to my course. Certain teachers were angry at me omitting the fact I directed a Shakespeare play for my EPQ, but you have to be ruthless.

Reply 1392

I guess I could rephrase that question as; do you think a personal statement is just an obligatory "write this and prove you have the fundamentals" or a chance to really be original/ creative and try to stand out?

I point you towards this P/S: http://ws.getrevising.co.uk/1.0/Pdf?src=http%3A%2F%2Fgetrevising.co.uk%2Ftimetable%2Fxslfo%2Frebecca1621%3Fac%3D55172%26v%3D1

where the writer has tried to be quite quirky and interesting and whilst it's a friendly statement, not everyone is going to respond in the same way to it. Whereas at least with a formal, detailed statement you know you're not going to get any raised eyebrows :tongue: I think detail, not originality, is what Oxford are after! :smile:
Original post by Chazzybish
x

Hi there, sorry to hijack the discussion, but I was wondering how important is the LNAT to Oxford - I've heard it's one of the major factors that they take into account when short listing for interview.

However, more importantly, are there any particular books that you'd recommend that'll hopefully help someone to ace the LNAT :P?

Thanks!
Original post by _becca
I point you towards this P/S: http://ws.getrevising.co.uk/1.0/Pdf?src=http%3A%2F%2Fgetrevising.co.uk%2Ftimetable%2Fxslfo%2Frebecca1621%3Fac%3D55172%26v%3D1

where the writer has tried to be quite quirky and interesting and whilst it's a friendly statement, not everyone is going to respond in the same way to it. Whereas at least with a formal, detailed statement you know you're not going to get any raised eyebrows :tongue: I think detail, not originality, is what Oxford are after! :smile:
I was under the impression that the personal statement was usually a written discourse, not what appears to be a revision timetable?

I'm not interested in being very flamboyant and imperious, I'm interested in being somewhat creative.

e.g. I would view this as very typical/ mundane and this is very creative (and I like it a lot).
Original post by Defragmentation
Hi there, sorry to hijack the discussion, but I was wondering how important is the LNAT to Oxford - I've heard it's one of the major factors that they take into account when short listing for interview.

However, more importantly, are there any particular books that you'd recommend that'll hopefully help someone to ace the LNAT :P?

Thanks!

I think the LNAT is quite important in securing an interview place. I know of people who had otherwise solid applications (very good GCSEs, 4 As at AS and a pretty good statement) but who did not get an interview - the only factor that could have let them down was the LNAT. I got 22/42 on the LNAT, which was above the average (something like 19) but hardly anything amazing. Once an applicant has secured an interview, I think the paper elements of the application matter much less.

I'm not really sure on any books because I didn't use any. I just did the two practice tests on the LNAT website (I think I got 28 and 26 in those, so they're evidently easier than the real thing) and I did four practice essays in the week of the exam. Other people might say that you can do loads of preparation and it will have an effect on your score, but from my experience beyond familiarising yourself with the test and reading a little about techniques on the website and around the web, there isn't much more you can do. If you find essay writing difficult, however, I'd definitely suggest practising that as I think that may be more important than the multiple-choice score.

e.g. I would view this as very typical/ mundane and this is very creative (and I like it a lot).

Note that both got all 5 offers, however, including from Cambridge. I'm not very familiar with science admissions, but I get the impression that overall the personal statement is less important for sciences than for art subjects - but it's still good to give yourself the best chance possible of course!
Hey everyone, again, sorry for changing the subject, but I was thinking earlier- I want to study Biomedical Sciences, but since Oxford focuses so much on essays, do you think it matters that I have so little practice writing them? Because my a levels never require written essays (except coursework for biology), and I worry that I'll be a disadvantage with my lack of essay skills? :/
Original post by strifelight
Hey everyone, again, sorry for changing the subject, but I was thinking earlier- I want to study Biomedical Sciences, but since Oxford focuses so much on essays, do you think it matters that I have so little practice writing them? Because my a levels never require written essays (except coursework for biology), and I worry that I'll be a disadvantage with my lack of essay skills? :/

If they require written work, you might have a problem, but otherwise you'll be okay. I know modern linguists who didn't do essay writing subjects (for languages you barely write anything) and they said its hard at first, and stuff like English would have helped, but you do get back into it.

Reply 1398
Original post by strifelight

Im not talking from experience and I wish to study Biological sciences at oxford (close enough), having done absolutely no essays since gcse's I'm also a little bit daunted by the thought of rolling out essays on a weekly basis, but then the content wont be as far fetched from whatever I am doing in my science subjects at the moment, I will just be writing out a longer and more structured answer (and definitely improving my punctuation and grammer, they seem to go to pot in exams as I mainly focus on getting as much info down as possible).
So overall I wouldnt get worried, but that perception is my own.
Reply 1399
I was under the impression that the personal statement was usually a written discourse, not what appears to be a revision timetable?

I'm not interested in being very flamboyant and imperious, I'm interested in being somewhat creative.

LOL ok I didn't copy and paste the right thing. hahahahaha I meant this!:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:colone:nglish_5

sorry :colondollar: yeah, the second one's pretty interesting. are you applying for physics then?

Latest

Trending

Trending