The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by deekonp
Congratulations ! :smile: I thought the February interviews were just for internationals? Are you an international or home/EU applicant?

Yeah, i'm from channel islands, and technically they class it as international. No idea why...
Reply 1981
Original post by Jim Lee
Yeah, i'm from channel islands, and technically they class it as international. No idea why...

Oh I see...congratulations !

I received a rejection from Southampton a few days ago, and I know those who are invited to interview for Exeter will hear before the break, so I'm super anxious...do you know if any other internationals have received interviews for Exeter?
Reply 1982
Anyone else here get a Sheffield rejection? :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm apart of this thread. I'm on a gap year too :smile:
Reply 1984
Original post by Vikas_94
Anyone else here get a Sheffield rejection? :frown:

Yep, I did. I was sort of expecting it though, it was my risky choice and I don't think my PS was amazing or anything. Have you heard back from your other three?
Reply 1985
Original post by Dr.Acula
Yep, I did. I was sort of expecting it though, it was my risky choice and I don't think my PS was amazing or anything. Have you heard back from your other three?

Nope haven't heard anything back from my other 3 yet but one hasn't even started interviewing yet so fingers crossed. Still hurts not getting an interview though!

Has anyone here worked as a HCA on a medical admissions unit?
Original post by Jim Lee
I'm on a gap year as well. Don't think they encourage them, but some uni's like students who have been on them, usually because their grades are not predicted but actual (so no uncertainty).

After being given no interviews last year, managed to arrange a trip to do charity work in Tanzania. Got to see a local hospital (huge, HUGE differences from any UK hospital, as you can guess) in a really remote region, as well as working with an outreach charity that helped pay for some people's healthcare. Managed to go third-manning on an ambulance (basically, observing), which wasn't great, because I live in Channel Islands, with pretty low crime rate and accident rate. Also got a job as auxiliary nurse (pretty much a HCA, but I'm not qualified to do anything special). Currently working night-shifts at my local hospital-12 hour nights, 8pm-8am is not fun. Ruins my sleep habits, which were crap anyway, and its not even like the Junior Doctors program on BBC3, where they were treating patients across the hospital all night. Its a tiny hospital, and no-one needs that king or treatment, so I'm not exactly doing much...

Also done some travelling too, went on holiday to Italy in July, and Spain in September (btw I'm not loaded-never was, certainly not after that travel!). I'm also learning British Sign Language during the day when I can, and continuing with my hobbies of music and sport.

I would have loved to do some research work, but because i'm on an island I don't think there is any, and if there was it probably wouldn't be worth doing...(small sample sizes and the like).

Would definitely recommend becoming a HCA in your local hospital if pos, or some care home work during the day. Not sure if you can fit in charity work abroad, with interviews from Jan-April, and they don't give much notice. Could be worth continuing to learn something (maybe a language you always wanted to learn but never did?) Research stuff would also be great. Best of luck with your endeavours.

Thank yu so much :smile:
I think I will do the Thailand programme for two weeks with gapyearmedic (found their brochure at my college) it seemed really nice but not sure since its really expensive!!
Then the rest of the summer going to Bangladesh, take a holiday and do some volunteering work as tutoring poor unprivileged children and also act as a first aid assistant/provider (hopefully).
Then when I come back on September after application and evrything will try to get a job/volunteering in care home or hospital or anything related. Also do a part time job as a sales assistant or something like that.
After all the interviews would have completed (and have earned some kore money :tongue: ) will go to volunteering in some other country and then go back to Bangladesh where I would try to find some research work, volunteer in a rural area for a month where they will provide my accommodation and food cost for free, will tutor children there. Will act as a teachers assistant and again first aid assistant in the a school for the rest of the time :smile: and improve my guitar playing, will try to be an intermediate so I can complete some of the grade exams when I come back in London, also do some other things like learn French and karate (always wanted to learn but parents didnt allow :frown: ). Learning these things are really cheap there so shouldn't be a problem plus my dad lives there so no accommodation or food cost, just have to provide my own travel costs. :smile:
That's my plan, well not definite will make lots of changes though but hopefully :smile:

Guys I was wondering how you applied for an HCA Job. Ive searched and searched for a vacancy in my local hospital as well as willing to travel a bit to leeds or Sheffield. All I got was one in Dermatology and I applied through NHS jobs website. Is there any other sites which might have Vacancies up?

EDIT: The Dermatology one is yet to reply to me :frown:
Original post by raveen789
Guys I was wondering how you applied for an HCA Job. Ive searched and searched for a vacancy in my local hospital as well as willing to travel a bit to leeds or Sheffield. All I got was one in Dermatology and I applied through NHS jobs website. Is there any other sites which might have Vacancies up?

Have you tried the job centre website? There are always care assistants jobs on there at care homes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try care homes, a lot easier to get in (like me) not a great job but it looks good and is useful during interview trust me! Apply to all the local ones near you :smile:

Reply 1991
Is the thing true about Cardiff rejecting everyone who they plan to reject pre-interview on Wednesday the 19th?

Reply 1992

Try various nursing agencies (Google will do the trick). You may have to do some travelling around all over the place, but the pay is a lot better than permanent staff. :smile:
Original post by J1994D
Try care homes, a lot easier to get in (like me) not a great job but it looks good and is useful during interview trust me! Apply to all the local ones near you :smile:

I kind of already do ongoing volunteering at the Hospice which is sort of similar to a care home in terms of providing care and empathetic support for patients and family. I really wanted a Job in the Hospital too so that I could see more of the Hospital environment as it is a real pain to get work experience in the Hospital. I really want an A&E placement it always looks interesting (but hard no doubt) :tongue:
People who are HCA's:

How long did it take you to be confident as a HCA? i.e working on your own, knowing the ropes etc

I started yesterday and it's pretty overwhelming! So much to remember and I feel like a huge noob :lol:
Manager said my supernumerary will be around 2 weeks, more if needed. I'm at a hospital by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1995
Original post by This Honest
People who are HCA's:

How long did it take you to be confident as a HCA? i.e working on your own, knowing the ropes etc

I started yesterday and it's pretty overwhelming! So much to remember and I feel like a huge noob :lol:
Manager said my supernumerary will be around 2 weeks, more if needed. I'm at a hospital by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By the end of the first month, you should be able to do everything yourself without too much trouble. :smile:
Original post by Revent
By the end of the first month, you should be able to do everything yourself without too much trouble. :smile:

Ok thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview at Newcastle!

4/4 interviews, so happy!
Reply 1998
The people who are HCAs, can i just ask what it really entails? Is there any way to avoid bathing/toileting? :s
Reply 1999
Original post by alt31
The people who are HCAs, can i just ask what it really entails? Is there any way to avoid bathing/toileting? :s

Not really, no. Although I imagine it's not going to be much if you're not in elderly care and in an adult (or even paediatric) ward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending