The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NutterFrutter
Interesting... although I applied to Plymouth.

I think more people would have applied to Exeter as its the 'better' uni for most subjects, even though that's irrelevant for medicine, all the elitist people who check league tables and apply to 'better' unis will choose Exeter I think :smile: wonder if Plymouth release data!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TattyBoJangles
By this Friday I'll have worked 8 days in a row. Hmph.
Only 8 hour days though.

I know you weren't aiming that at me, but I'm glad you got a bit more out of your volunteering :smile:
Got to love the elderly, aha. Sometimes I skip my half-hour break to sit around and chat to the residents (we don't generally have time as we're busy). We're not meant to have favourites, but I definitely do :lol: And she's had a fascinating life. She was telling me how she was on the ambulances during the war.
Brilliant sense of humour, too.

The elderly are awesome in their own way :yes:
Ahhh the humour is great! :rofl2:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1782
Hi guys, this is mainly for people with HCA jobs
What are your main roles ?
What are the downsides of the job?
How much patient cleaning is there ?

I have been invited to an "assessment thing" but I am not sure if i should quit my current job if i get it offered
Also, how long will you continue this job for ?
Is it okay for me to take this job for only 6ish months because I really want to go traveling
Original post by manu01

I have been invited to an "assessment thing" but I am not sure if i should quit my current job if i get it offered
Is it okay for me to take this job for only 6ish months because I really want to go traveling

The answer will depend greatly on where the person works, i.e. hospital, vs. care home, v.s. rehab centre etc

You should clarify where the job is

Good luck
Reply 1784
Hi sorry should of been more specific
Its a Healthcare Assistant, Band 2 at Princess royal and the department is Acute Mental Health Services for Working Age Adults
Original post by manu01

Original post by manu01
Hi sorry should of been more specific
Its a Healthcare Assistant, Band 2 at Princess royal and the department is Acute Mental Health Services for Working Age Adults

Hey, I'm currently a HCA at a hospital. Band 2 like the job you're going for. Your main roles are looking after the patients, washing, dressing, cleaning, feeding. You may also be doing obs like blood pressure, sats, blood sugar.
Downsides I guess is the cleaning side of it :') it can get pretty dirty, and if you have a weak stomach you may be in trouble. However, the patients do really appreciate it.
The amount of cleaning depends on the ward, depends how many patients are dependent or independent. For me, all of mine are dependent so we have to do everything for them. It's not that big a deal, I'm used to it now, it's part of the job.

As for how long you do it. I've taken out a 6 months fixed term contract, which means I will have time to go travelling after. I think even if you get a permanent job, there is usually a 6 month probation/review thing. Tbh I told them I wanted a 6 month fixed term at the interview, that's what I got.
How is everyone keeping up to date with medical news?
Any re-applicants got interviews yet?
Original post by savage903

It's unlikely, because UKCAT scores aren't sent till next week. If they do I'll be like :eek::eek::eek:
Just got a job as a band2 healthcare assistant at St Pancras's hospital!!! :smile: Anyone know what my main duties will be??
Reply 1790
Original post by Hanz_a93
Just got a job as a band2 healthcare assistant at St Pancras's hospital!!! :smile: Anyone know what my main duties will be??

Washing patients, taking their blood pressure and blood sugar (if applicable) and then filling out some charts if necessary.

Have an interview at Durham on 30th November :smile: Probably just off A levels, although I put my UKCAT on my UCAS form.
Original post by Nandos94
It's unlikely, because UKCAT scores aren't sent till next week. If they do I'll be like :eek::eek::eek:

Well tomorrow really :wink:
Am i the only person who doesnt have a HCA job. I have interview for a theater housekeeper role but thats it :frown:
Original post by bssjonny
Am i the only person who doesnt have a HCA job. I have interview for a theater housekeeper role but thats it :frown:

I work in a post office, i'm not a HCA. I think having a job is more important than no job.
I work in a post office, i'm not a HCA. I think having a job is more important than no job.

Definitely. I have spent far too long being out competed by people who NVQs :frown:
I imagine that so long as I am doing something productive (i.e. funding my degree) it should be fine.
It's just so scary second time round and you have that horrible fear that you might have wasted a year of your life if you are not successful.
Definitely. I have spent far too long being out competed by people who NVQs :frown:
I imagine that so long as I am doing something productive (i.e. funding my degree) it should be fine.
It's just so scary second time round and you have that horrible fear that you might have wasted a year of your life if you are not successful.

I know how you feel. Where have you applied? What have you planned to do on your gap year?
I know how you feel. Where have you applied? What have you planned to do on your gap year?

I applied to exeter, newcastle, BSMS and sheffield.
Right now I just want a job, once I have money I can sort out where/if i want to go travelling etc.
I'm also going to lourdes in the summer where I will be a group leader helping disabled and elderly people. So that'll be cool.

What about you?
I applied to exeter, newcastle, BSMS and sheffield.
Right now I just want a job, once I have money I can sort out where/if i want to go travelling etc.
I'm also going to lourdes in the summer where I will be a group leader helping disabled and elderly people. So that'll be cool.

What about you?

Sounds good :smile: I'm working atm, going to Nicaragua in April with a government scheme doing some community work for 10 weeks which should be great. Saw your post on the Sheffield wall about least likely to get into sheffield, why do you think that, looked at your stats and you have great grades and UKCAT!
Reply 1799
HI guys I have an interview for a Job as a Theatre support worker next week and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the interview and any advice on what to say I really want this job I've been applying like mad for medical jobs :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending