The Student Room Group

Progressing To Second Year.

Hi everyone.

As I am getting closer to the end of my first year of University (studying an M.A in English Literature).

I was just wondering if it was possible (obviously it is) to fail the first year, and not progress to the second year of University. My studies are all going well, this is something I am just curious about.

I study Literature, but my other subjects are Philosophy and English Language.

What does it take to fail a year?

I know some people might say "if you fail your exams" but what if I got straight A's in Literature and Philosophy, but failed language etc.

Thanks!

Me.
Reply 1
Original post by clavicle12
Hi everyone.

As I am getting closer to the end of my first year of University (studying an M.A in English Literature).

I was just wondering if it was possible (obviously it is) to fail the first year, and not progress to the second year of University. My studies are all going well, this is something I am just curious about.

I study Literature, but my other subjects are Philosophy and English Language.

What does it take to fail a year?

I know some people might say "if you fail your exams" but what if I got straight A's in Literature and Philosophy, but failed language etc.

Thanks!

Me.

You are usually allowed to resit the modules that you have failed.
Reply 2
Some universities may put you before a termination committee if you fall below a certain standard (e.g. fail 50% of your modules). First year into second year is, usually, absolutely guaranteed providing you pass everything and failed modules can almost always be resat in August. If you're doing something a lot more focussed with higher standards alongside limited module options and restricted course pathway (e.g. medicine) then things may be quite different, but it really depends on the academic regulations for your university/school/particular degree programme.

In general terms: if you fail the resit, you may have to take the whole module again the following year ("carry" the module) or you may have to take something else to make up the shortfall. But, on the whole, you have to do something pretty special to get expelled after your first year based on academic performance :creep:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest