The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wa 007
yeah haha btw have you got to the bit about how humans are irrational? or anything similar to economics yet?

I thought most of the book was demonstrating just that?:confused: are you going to mention this in your PS or something?
A question about Lucas
You applyy for 5 UNIS, do they all reject/ give you a conditional offer
Then you choose a firm an insurance? Or is it the other way around?
Original post by printergirl
A question about Lucas
You applyy for 5 UNIS, do they all reject/ give you a conditional offer
Then you choose a firm an insurance? Or is it the other way around?

You apply to 5 courses on your UCAS. They all get back to you with either an unconditional, a conditional or a rejection. If you get an unconditional and you want to go to that university, you firm it and that's you going there. If you get a conditional, you make you firm and insurance choices.
Hey guys,

I'm from Malaysia and I'll be taking my AS this Oct/Nov and am planning to do economics however, I'm not sure what kind of economics to do. I'm pretty interested in economics and finance.
Currently I'm taking Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Economics. 3 Subjects for AS and 4 for A2.

1st question would be, could someone explain what is the difference between an Economics & Finance degree and a pure Economics degree?

Secondly I was planning on applying to these unis,
- LSE
- UCL
- Kent
- Surrey
- Edinburgh

The unis aren't set in stone but would like some feedback on them as I'm unable to visit them physically and I just don't trust pictures you see on the net. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Roguehunter
Hey guys,

I'm from Malaysia and I'll be taking my AS this Oct/Nov and am planning to do economics however, I'm not sure what kind of economics to do. I'm pretty interested in economics and finance.
Currently I'm taking Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Economics. 3 Subjects for AS and 4 for A2.

1st question would be, could someone explain what is the difference between an Economics & Finance degree and a pure Economics degree?

Secondly I was planning on applying to these unis,
- LSE
- UCL
- Kent
- Surrey
- Edinburgh

The unis aren't set in stone but would like some feedback on them as I'm unable to visit them physically and I just don't trust pictures you see on the net. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

The only thing I would say it that UCL and LSE seem like a big jump compared to Surrey and Kent. What grades did you get at AS?
Will be sitting for AS this October.
If you can understand this with fluency you should get into any of the top uni's:

http://theiber.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/thinkers/

I go to UCL by the way doing Economics. Feel free to ask me questions.
Original post by markwilliams_hello
If you can understand this with fluency you should get into any of the top uni's:

http://theiber.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/thinkers/

I go to UCL by the way doing Economics. Feel free to ask me questions.

Grades?

EDIT: Does not having a language GCSE affect the chances of being made an offer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 388
Well, there go my chances of anything decent.

ABB.

Will get one exam remarked, so I'm hoping it will end up AAB, but still :frown:.

Plus the A* for my native language, unlikely to be counted by top unis.

ABB... I don't even know what uni that can get me, but I already know I won't like it or be motivated to do well at it.
Reply 389
Original post by Mtice
Well, there go my chances of anything decent.

ABB.

Will get one exam remarked, so I'm hoping it will end up AAB, but still :frown:.

Plus the A* for my native language, unlikely to be counted by top unis.

ABB... I don't even know what uni that can get me, but I already know I won't like it or be motivated to do well at it.

Try and get the B remarked. If you get an A, you'll have AAB and stand excellent chances. A lot of good, large universities are open for clearing because they are taking advantage of the cap removal for students with AAB and above.

Also, contact some universities and see whether they will accept the A* in your native language. Don't tell them it's your native language, however, just see if they will accept it. You are not lying per se, you're simply omitting something.
Reply 390
Original post by .ACS.
Try and get the B remarked. If you get an A, you'll have AAB and stand excellent chances. A lot of good, large universities are open for clearing because they are taking advantage of the cap removal for students with AAB and above.

Also, contact some universities and see whether they will accept the A* in your native language. Don't tell them it's your native language, however, just see if they will accept it. You are not lying per se, you're simply omitting something.

I would be applying with an English passport. The problem with this, though, is that I have no GCSEs because I was still in my homecountry. I also did IELTS, due to a lack of GCSE english.
OMG, after being so confident after the Economics paper, I've come out with an AAAB (85% Chemistry, 85% Biology, 93% Maths, 78% Economics so a B). I have no idea what's happened, I think I will choose for a remark. Any advice? Will I still be able to go to a good university? Shall I retake? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 392
has anyone read
Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
23 things they dont tell you about capitalism by Ha Joon Chang
Are these very common book ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sms951
has anyone read
Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
23 things they dont tell you about capitalism by Ha Joon Chang
Are these very common book ?

Yes.

Less mainstream than freakononics and armchair. Undercover etc but not hipster enough.

Try amazon books search for an area youre interested in.

I'm not an applicant btw (was you last year)
Original post by WayneCorp
OMG, after being so confident after the Economics paper, I've come out with an AAAB (85% Chemistry, 85% Biology, 93% Maths, 78% Economics so a B). I have no idea what's happened, I think I will choose for a remark. Any advice? Will I still be able to go to a good university? Shall I retake? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

While your UMS may be a little weak for the likes of Cambridge, you still have a chance, even there. Don't worry about other universities - it's fine. Economics at uni is more maths than A level economics, and you did very well in maths. I would only be worried if you'd ended up with a B in maths - there's good reason it's usually compulsory at A level while econ isn't.

You did well, hold your head high...and write a good personal statement :ninja:
Do ucl look at ums scores, as some say they do but others dont
Do ucl look at ums scores, as some say they do but others dont

For straight econ, or econ with a year abroad they'll send a form to ask you for you UMS
Original post by tooambitious
For straight econ, or econ with a year abroad they'll send a form to ask you for you UMS

What do they expect? 90% ums? Is this for everyone? And for all subjects u do
Reply 398
Hey guys do you think is worth remarking Economics Unit 2? Do you think the marks would most likely stay the same? If you remark and got a lower mark, would that lower mark be your permanent mark?
What do they expect? 90% ums? Is this for everyone? And for all subjects u do

Not certain, the best you can grt.
I don't think it was everyone last year but idk how they chose that
I assume it's all subjects, essentially like the Cambridge SAQ I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending