The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Starting Huddersfield In 2012?

Hey i'm planning on starting Architechture at Huddersfield this september and have my conditional. I was just wondering if anyone else is starting this year and wants to chat and stuff, it would be super hepful to get to know some people! :smile:
Ok cool :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i am starting at huddersfield this year i got conditional for childhood studies. my name is sophie by the way. so which accommadtion you living in.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by sammynewman
Hey i'm planning on starting Architechture at Huddersfield this september and have my conditional. I was just wondering if anyone else is starting this year and wants to chat and stuff, it would be super hepful to get to know some people! :smile:
Ok cool :smile:

Hi! I'm starting Huddersfield in September too but i'm doing interior design. I think we'll be in the same building though! :smile:
Reply 3
Hi there, I posted on the other thread too, I am also starting Architecture in 2012 :smile:

Also yes I think Interior Design now shares the new Queen Street Studios (which is really excellent) :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I also made a thread a few weeks back for Architecture 2012 students to get to know each other:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1934397
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Heya
I haven't really worked out where exactly I'm going to live yet, have to do some research into it all :frown:. do any of you have any ideas or recommendations?? And yes i do believe interior is in the same building :smile: did you get to see the 3D printer it was actually amazing :smile:

btw someone emailed me couple days ago, but I somehow deleted it :s sorry! if you have returned I did put it as my first choice, it had the best facilities going and seemed really friendly!
Reply 6
Hey,

Yeh I think I asked you on your profile,

I also got to see the 3D printers, did you go for an interview in January where the course leader toured the Uni at the start?

About living, myself I live in Huddersfield so I think im gona stay at home for the first year, but I do want to move out eventually, probably in the second year when im settled in. From what Ive heard and from friends, I dont recommend Storthes Hall, especially if you are more a quiet person as apparently it can be quite noisy and crazy over there. Also it is miles from the Uni, and although Huddersfield has great FirstGroup bus services, the timetable for it is hourly and stops early night.

There are many great private options though, the halls which seems the best is Aspley Halls. Its actually located right next to the Architecture Studios, it has a pool, gym, fibre internet, security, double beds, the lot! The downside to it, is if you dont go at the last minute or fail your grades, you still have to pay your 5000£ rent!

The two other good halls are Snow Island and Firth Point. They are about a 10 min walk from the Uni and I dont think they have as many facilities as Aspley but they still look nice.

Hope that helps
Hey :smile:

I'm doing Creative Music Technology this September in Huddersfield (assuming I get the grades).

Heya
I haven't really worked out where exactly I'm going to live yet, have to do some research into it all :frown:. do any of you have any ideas or recommendations?? And yes i do believe interior is in the same building :smile: did you get to see the 3D printer it was actually amazing :smile:

btw someone emailed me couple days ago, but I somehow deleted it :s sorry! if you have returned I did put it as my first choice, it had the best facilities going and seemed really friendly!

For accomodation, you should check these out:

http://www.digstortheshall.co.uk/
http://www.digashenhurst.co.uk/

You should book as soon as possible, really. I did yesterday (for Storthes Hall), but the premium rooms are all already fully booked! o.O
Reply 8
Heya

Yeah it was amazing! I'm applying for storthes for my accommodation :smile:
Where are you from?
Reply 9
ahhhh thank you so much, I looked at ashenhurst and storthes hall and was pretty impressed with both of them, mostly because the last uni halls i looked at was bit a **** hole! But Aspley was with out doubt the best!!! it actually looks somewhere I wouldn't want to kill my self - yep the last halls were really that bad!! This has made my day :smile: I shall book it all next weekend
and yes I did have the interview in January :smile:
Reply 10
Which halls do you think your gona go for, like I said Id like to apply for a good room is Aspley Hall for Year 2 onwards and stay at home for first year.

Aspley website: http://www.opalstudents.com/student-accommodation/huddersfield/aspley-hall-asp/features/

Was your interview on the 1st of Feb?, I know you said January but its about the same time, just wondered if you were on the same one since there were not many.
Starting at Huddersfield in September, doing a Politics degree. Staying at Snow Island in flat M8 if anyone else is. Let's hope I get the grades and haven't lost out on £250, fingers crossed if I don't get my firm then Unite will let me stay in their accommodation in Sheffield without paying more :P
Reply 12
I'm starting in september too!! :biggrin: I'm studying Illustration.. I've applied to stay in Storthes Hall! :smile:
I've applied to stay in Storthes Hall too, but i'm studying English. Does anyone know when we find out which Flat we will be staying in ?
Reply 14
If last years anything to go by you wont find out your flat number till literally like 2 weeks before you move in.. Storthes is good socially but will be a massive pain in the arse all year.. sometimes cold showers, horrible bus journey, slow internet, breaking things dnt get fixed, etc.. But the parties are pretty good..
good to know im sure i can put up with cold showers for a year at least thanks :smile:
Original post by El' Botto
If last years anything to go by you wont find out your flat number till literally like 2 weeks before you move in.. Storthes is good socially but will be a massive pain in the arse all year.. sometimes cold showers, horrible bus journey, slow internet, breaking things dnt get fixed, etc.. But the parties are pretty good..

OMG really? Don't they have hot water? What makes the bus journey horrible? I'm curious....
Reply 17
Original post by El' Botto

Is it worth taking a car or do you think the bus is the better option?
Reply 18
First buses are very good in Huddersfield centre and get you anywhere, however the Storthes Hall services are not frequent and always seem to congested and are allocated older bus models for this reason. A car is useful for staying in Storthes Hall but then you have insurance, petrol, maintenance costs ect. which might make it cheaper to just use Taxis at night and Buses in the day.
Reply 19
I have a conditional offer to study Fashion Design with Marketing and Production.., if I get in i'll be living in Little Aspley Hall :smile: Anyone else??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending