The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that sounds about right. When I visit my parents, who live 100 miles away, it costs me about £20 to get down there :smile:
Reply 2
Petrol is like 146p / litre here and there are 4.5 litres / gallon so 4.5*146 = 657p / gallon.

You say you drove 90 miles and paid 1800p in petrol so thats about 2.7 gallons. So your car is doing 33.3 mpg which is on the low side for a student car (unless you have a big/heavy car).

Edit: For your reference, most of my friends' Polos/Golfs/Clios/Puntos will do 40-45 mpg. So they would be spending a little less than you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nice Roast chicken
Hi all, hope your all okay and happy :smile:

Just wanted to ask really how many miles you'd expect to get out of £18 in petrol, I got about 90 miles out of £18 in petrol. I expected more tbh, is this about right?

going on £1.39.9 per litre, be about 12.86 litres, which is roughly 2.83 gallons = 31mpg.

whether that is good or not depends on where you drive the most - motorway or rural/urban routes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Should do. Sometimes it depends on how you drive or the condition of your car. You use more petrol if you slam on your brakes rather than brake sooner for instance. Also if your tyres lower than they should it uses more petrol too.
Reply 5
OOOhh, sorry I don't understand anything about mpg, cost per litre and so forth, haha, so do you mean it sounds a good mileage for £18 or does it sound as though I'm getting little for £18??

OOhhh, soory I don't understand all this cost per litre and mpg, sorry but thanks sweetie

what car do you drive? I can only say whether the mpg you're getting is good if you tell me the car and engine size. Also, was it urban driving or motorways (or both)?
Reply 6
1998 vauxhall corsa breeze, 1.4 , do a lot of town /city driving

Yeah your mpg seems fine tbh, its a fairly old car and a 1.4 so it sounds about right, not massively low.
Reply 7
About 120 miles. But their cars are about 5-7 years newer than yours and are 1.2 litre engines so they are more efficient anyway.
Reply 8
I get about 70 miles from £10
Reply 9
Wish my car did that kind of MPG :frown:
Used to get about 25 miles to the gallon on a good run so it'd be more like £29 to do 100 miles now, it wasn't a fancy car it was just ****ed.
Reply 10
So it's between 30 and 35mpg depending on how much you paid for the fuel.

Sounds awesome to me.
Reply 11
Doesn't sound too bad but it depends on the car and what you drive like, where you drive etc...

My mpg is about 50-55 when doing A/B roads or motorways but city driving it's much lower but then i hate city driving!
Reply 12
should be around 10 litres of petrol consumed if driving on a motorway at 70-80 mph without changing speed very often so unless your car has a large engine / isint very aerodynamic, dont drive an RV do you? then i think your consuming quite a bit of fuel
Reply 13
Was that for me?? If soo...

I drive a 1.7 corsa Derv and get roughly 450 to a tank, it doesn't have a 6th gear so does rerv high when at 80mph on the motorway
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JC.
So it's between 30 and 35mpg depending on how much you paid for the fuel.

Sounds awesome to me.

Sounds good to me too, I usually only get around 20-25mpg in urban driving. I am a bit of a lead foot though.
Reply 15
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Sounds good to me too, I usually only get around 20-25mpg in urban driving. I am a bit of a lead foot though.

I get between 22 and 26 on a motorway, depending on much much "progress" I'm trying to make.
Round town is mid teens.
It's not only what you drive, but how you drive it. Use good planning and anticipation, accelerating up to speed quickly then selecting the highest gear which will maintain that speed with the lowest revs without the engine labouring, looking well ahead and trying to adjust your approach to any potential hold up to make sure you get through without stopping. Try not to brake as much as possible, using engine braking by down-changing as you approach slow-downs or stops. In our car I can average 53-57mpg around town, but the g/f only ever manages low 40's because she rushes towards things, brakes suddenly, then accelerates harshly away from the resulting stop. I see the hold-up, lift off, down-change, cruise towards slowing gently without brakes, changing down further as required, and usually as I near the hold-up it starts to clear (lights change or whatever) and I cruise through without stopping, gently building my speed back. Always keep a reasonable gap between you and the car in front to increase your available time to do this, and take every opportunity to observe what is happening ahead to make your plan.

Another example of how driving incorrectly for the vehicle and/or conditions can have a massive effect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0
Original post by tehforum
yeah

That's what I 🤔💭💭💭💭💭💭🤔🤔🤔 THOUGHT
Hello. Hello..1.2.1.2 testing 2,31,231 the bomb has arrived into town
Also take time to ,,PLAN. A. JOURNEY,,
THE JOURny we go on counts for something

Latest

Trending

Trending