The Student Room Group

Imperial College MSc Economics & Strategy for Business (ESB)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by seekpostgrad
Yeah I have offers from other universities, but none of them rank as high as Imperial.Other masters I have been accepted cost 9,900 to 13,500 which is a huuuuge difference from Imperial tuition fee, regardless of their very generous offer of an ipad. I would not mind going into private housing but how can I possibly find a house if I am not living in London? in fact I´m quite far away so doesn´t that make househunting a bit helish and diffcult to say the least? And aren´t rents in London absolutely ridiculous either way?

I have some offers as well and I'm also considerably far away. I believe that if I'm accepted at Imperial and choose to go there instead of my other options I will surely face the same problems you are facing now.

Housing is the biggest issue but even if private housing is expensive it is probably allot cheaper when compared with Gradpad. But it is London so it will always be more expensive than everywhere else. You will always spend allot more money just because you'll be located in London. If you wan't to go cheap you cannot go to London. I mean, if money is your issue you'll always be living cheaper anywhere else.

It depends on your funding.
Reply 61
Hey guys! I am having an ESB interview tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be fine.
Reply 62
Original post by mnsmj
I have some offers as well and I'm also considerably far away. I believe that if I'm accepted at Imperial and choose to go there instead of my other options I will surely face the same problems you are facing now.

Housing is the biggest issue but even if private housing is expensive it is probably allot cheaper when compared with Gradpad. But it is London so it will always be more expensive than everywhere else. You will always spend allot more money just because you'll be located in London. If you wan't to go cheap you cannot go to London. I mean, if money is your issue you'll always be living cheaper anywhere else.

It depends on your funding.

You could always find someone to share expenses with. You don't need a gradpad either - you'll get your fancy flat soon enough after graduating. Go onto gumtree.co.uk and find something there. Just follow the green tube to the West, and see if you find any places along that. I'm in your shoes too - looking for a flat. If any of you are interested in finding something to share, pm me!
Reply 63
Original post by Primal
You could always find someone to share expenses with. You don't need a gradpad either - you'll get your fancy flat soon enough after graduating. Go onto gumtree.co.uk and find something there. Just follow the green tube to the West, and see if you find any places along that. I'm in your shoes too - looking for a flat. If any of you are interested in finding something to share, pm me!

That's true. I will surely do so if I get admitted. For now it's only speculation, still waiting on Imperial feedback.
Reply 64
So it seems what everyone has been saying about the interview has been spot on. Seems to be just one final check up that you haven't lied about anything and that you're capable of stringing together a few coherent thoughts. It doesn't even feel like an interview to be honest, more like a very natural conversation. If you've gotten an invite to it then you really shouldn't worry.

Quick question about flatshare sites like moveflat and the rest. The UK does rents in weeks don't they, how does paying your landlord work? These sites all seem to list the rent per month anyway, or they have to be at least. Not even in London can you pay 300+ for a room per week.
Reply 65
Original post by sc82491
So it seems what everyone has been saying about the interview has been spot on. Seems to be just one final check up that you haven't lied about anything and that you're capable of stringing together a few coherent thoughts. It doesn't even feel like an interview to be honest, more like a very natural conversation. If you've gotten an invite to it then you really shouldn't worry.

Quick question about flatshare sites like moveflat and the rest. The UK does rents in weeks don't they, how does paying your landlord work? These sites all seem to list the rent per month anyway, or they have to be at least. Not even in London can you pay 300+ for a room per week.

How long did it take for them to send the interview invite?
Reply 66
Original post by mnsmj
How long did it take for them to send the interview invite?

About a week. But that's including the weekend.
Reply 67
Original post by sc82491
About a week. But that's including the weekend.

You applied and one week later you had the invite!?
Reply 68
They did not call me during the scheduled time. Strange. Wrote them an email asking about that.
Reply 69
Original post by mnsmj
You applied and one week later you had the invite!?

Whoops. Misread. Thought you meant from interview to offer. No I applied around February and got the interview invite around six weeks later.
Reply 70
Original post by sc82491
Whoops. Misread. Thought you meant from interview to offer. No I applied around February and got the interview invite around six weeks later.

uff... Just thought you might be the super-candidate :biggrin:

I'm a little over 4 weeks now so I guess I'll have to wait for a bit more.
Reply 71
What do you think about this course comparing to ESB? And Warwick Business School reputation comparing to ICBS?
Reply 72
Original post by pit.klg
What do you think about this course comparing to ESB? And Warwick Business School reputation comparing to ICBS?

To me it seems a little more general, less strategy focused. More similar to what I studied in undergrad management.
Reply 73
I think WBS is rated slightly higher than ICBS looking only at the business schools. But, Imperial College London in general is ranked higher than Warwick. Apart from choosing the right programme for yourself at the best school possible, the reason we all worry about rankings is because we want to put the highest, most renowned school on our CV, if we are being completely honest. Don't you agree? If that is the case, just put

2013-2014:
Imperial College London
Economics and Strategy for Business

And voila, suddenly it looks neat! You went to 8th best school in the world (times higher education).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
After interview, how long does imperial take to get back to us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
1-2 weeks.
Reply 76
I had interview yesterday so I should expect by next week? because I have deadline for other university.
Reply 77
Yeah, you will probably get a admission/rejection next week. Ask that other university if you can extend your deadline due to [insert random excuse here], so in case your decision is late, you still have that other uni to fall back to if you get a rejection from ICBS.
Reply 78
Original post by Primal
I think WBS is rated slightly higher than ICBS looking only at the business schools. But, Imperial College London in general is ranked higher than Warwick. Apart from choosing the right programme for yourself at the best school possible, the reason we all worry about rankings is because we want to put the highest, most renowned school on our CV, if we are being completely honest. Don't you agree? If that is the case, just put

2013-2014:
Imperial College London
Economics and Strategy for Business

And voila, suddenly it looks neat! You went to 8th best school in the world (times higher education).

I am completely agree. However, for me personally this course seems to be a little bit indistinct and vague comparing to WBS. Having an interview on the 25 now. Still have some time to think about it.
Reply 79
Original post by pit.klg
I am completely agree. However, for me personally this course seems to be a little bit indistinct and vague comparing to WBS. Having an interview on the 25 now. Still have some time to think about it.

I completely disagree with you about this one being more vague. The WBS course seems more focused on moving into finance. The ICBS seems far more focused on strategy consulting.

Do you have a business background? I'd argue that finance and accounting are a more powerful base than what Imperial is offering. If you did a business undergrad than Imperial offers a directional extension of your studies.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending