The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Chinesegirl
Hi, I signed a form from Oxford saying that if I fail the exam twice, I will be expelled. I have also heard that after this exam, students are divided into several levels and given different clothes. Is that true? When is the exam and what is it like? Doesn't that sound frightening? Also, what clothes are they saying in the "rumour"? Don't we just wear our own casual clothes every day?

Erm, by clothes it means academic gowns. People who do very well in Prelims/Mods become scholars or exhibitioners and get to wear a different kind of gown. The time of the exam depends on the subject, so I can't really answer unless you tell me your subject and college.
Reply 2
hildabeast
Erm, by clothes it means academic gowns. People who do very well in Prelims/Mods become scholars or exhibitioners and get to wear a different kind of gown. The time of the exam depends on the subject, so I can't really answer unless you tell me your subject and college.

It's really nice of you!!! I'll be in Pembroke to study PPE. Do I have to take 3 exams then? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but what is academic gown? When and why shall we wear it?
Reply 3
Chinesegirl
It's really nice of you!!! I'll be in Pembroke to study PPE. Do I have to take 3 exams then? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but what is academic gown? When and why shall we wear it?

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure about PPE, but I think you will have three exams, and they will be at the end of your third term, ie, in June 2005.
Academic gowns are worn for matriculation when you register at the university, for examinations, for Formal Hall (dinner) and for official meetings with uiversity figures, such as the college head of house.
Reply 4
Just out of interest if you study medicine at oxbridge and decide/are accepted to stay there for your clinical years too , does that mean you have to live in oxford /cambridge for the full 6 years?!!
Reply 5
s-k
Just out of interest if you study medicine at oxbridge and decide/are accepted to stay there for your clinical years too , does that mean you have to live in oxford /cambridge for the full 6 years?!!

Erm, yes, I assume so. I think you can transfer to a different college though.
Reply 6
hildabeast

Great!
Reply 7
hildabeast

What about postgraduates studies? Can I transfer to another college for that?
Reply 8
s-k

Yes. I don't know about college transfers, but most of the Cambridge clinical students actually live down by Addies rather than in college accommodation, so it's not like you're staying in college the whole time. You couldn't really not live in the city, could you?

Latest

Trending

Trending