The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Difference between Durham and Oxford in workload?

Hi, I’m deciding whether to apply to Oxbridge (mainly Oxford I think) does anyone know how much difference there is in the workload at Oxbridge and at Durham/other unis. Specifically I mean in the number of essays you are set to write each week and the work you have to do outside of class. If anyone knows about psychology in particular that would be great but it’s okay if not.
Original post by adn65
Hi, I’m deciding whether to apply to Oxbridge (mainly Oxford I think) does anyone know how much difference there is in the workload at Oxbridge and at Durham/other unis. Specifically I mean in the number of essays you are set to write each week and the work you have to do outside of class. If anyone knows about psychology in particular that would be great but it’s okay if not.

I’ve just completed the first year of psychology at Durham and honestly even though I love my course first years workload was kind of small. We only had a few essays/assignments throughout the whole year, some of our exams were multiple choice, the reading was not really important etc. etc. I would say for me I made my workload higher, I did the reading that many people didn’t do for example because I enjoy my subject and want to be good at it. Exam revision is also still important so something you can do to take up the time. There was never a lack of things to do to study, just it was less assignments and things than I expected university to be. From what I’ve heard second year is going to get more work with more assignments and more important reading so I’m really looking forward to it!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve just completed the first year of psychology at Durham and honestly even though I love my course first years workload was kind of small. We only had a few essays/assignments throughout the whole year, some of our exams were multiple choice, the reading was not really important etc. etc. I would say for me I made my workload higher, I did the reading that many people didn’t do for example because I enjoy my subject and want to be good at it. Exam revision is also still important so something you can do to take up the time. There was never a lack of things to do to study, just it was less assignments and things than I expected university to be. From what I’ve heard second year is going to get more work with more assignments and more important reading so I’m really looking forward to it!

Thank you!!!!
Big difference is that Oxford is 8 week terms and Durham 10. So, Oxford covers the material at a faster pace.

Quick Reply

Latest