The Student Room Group

should give up my job for pub work?

The local pub have contacted me about doing some bar work at the pub. I asked one of the girls who work there and they said that its mostly weekend work and long hours..does anyone work in a bar/pub no what its like? and 5.30 an hour plus tips
I currently work in tesco and on 6.25 an hour but really do hate it! i like the people but just hate working there i am contracted to 10 hours and usually over time.. which includes all weekend and some nights n the week...
Just knowin them facts...what would you do? im so confused!!
Reply 1
In terms of money it doesn't sound like it'll be much different so go for whatever one you'd enjoy most
From what I've heard (I've worked in a supermarket, but not a bar), I would keep your current job. It's better value for money (about £40 extra a month for 10 hours, though with tips you could make that back), they are a big company so you know you will be treated professionally in terms of contract etc, and you know you like the people.

Working in a bar sounds fun, but I'm fairly certain you will be working just as hard, and have the same ungrateful annoying customers. That's not personal experience though, so other people may give better advice. Good luck either way :smile:
If your boobs are big enough you could get a job as a topless waitress and earn lodas :yep:
Reply 4
Bar work is good fun, but tips depend on the bar. Country pub will be the very occasional keep the change, high end bar in a town centre will bring in a few more. You need to be outgoing for bar work, you have to be able to talk to customers and handle slightly drunk customers too. Its not hard as long as your confident, but if your shy then either learn to be confident or forget it - you'll never be any good. Bar staff are generally a really good laugh to work with, its usually fairly relaxed and playful.

I would take the bar job - you'll learn something new, and I suspect it'll be more enjoyable for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by beth24xx
The local pub have contacted me about doing some bar work at the pub. I asked one of the girls who work there and they said that its mostly weekend work and long hours..does anyone work in a bar/pub no what its like? and 5.30 an hour plus tips
I currently work in tesco and on 6.25 an hour but really do hate it! i like the people but just hate working there i am contracted to 10 hours and usually over time.. which includes all weekend and some nights n the week...
Just knowin them facts...what would you do? im so confused!!

Why are you wanting to change jobs? From what you've put it seems you don't like being given more hours than you're contracted to do or working all weekend and some weeknights, but this is exactly what is likely to happen in a pub (personal experience). Also, you will get customers you don't like working in a pub too, and although you'll get tips these aren't guaranteed income so you may be better off financially sticking with the current job. Unless there is another reason you want to change jobs it seems you'd be better sticking to your current one.
You're unlikely to be making up your wages to your current levels in tips, unless you're waitressing all the time (although I find waitressing utterly soul destroying, compared to bar work), when you may be lucky and do so.

Unfortunately, in almost every bar / restaurant job I've ever had (and there have been a fair few) I've loved the people but hated the work itself. I say 'almost', because in the others I've hated both the people and the work.

On the upside, if it's a small rural or semi-rural pub, then you're likely to find that it's usually not too busy - I was once sent by an agency to a pub like that, and found that I had nothing but the neighbour's cat for company for over an hour!
Reply 7
I think you should take the bar job. My friend used to work in a pub and whilst waiting for the bus, he would always be raving about how much money he made from tips. Then, he used the bar work as experience and got a job as a waiter at Pizza Express. Lucky bugger...
Reply 8
Working in a pub is fun, the hours are long but if its busy the time flies by. Although £5.30 an hour sounds a little low, I'm sure employers are not allowed to use your tips to raise your wage to the minimum wage??
Reply 9
Original post by Em_Huong
Working in a pub is fun, the hours are long but if its busy the time flies by. Although £5.30 an hour sounds a little low, I'm sure employers are not allowed to use your tips to raise your wage to the minimum wage??

the minimum wage is £4.98 for people aged 18-21 which is what I'm assuming OP is
Reply 10
Original post by KKKKatie
the minimum wage is £4.98 for people aged 18-21 which is what I'm assuming OP is

Ahh I see now, I forgot there were different minimum wages for different ages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending