The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by Slick Fosbury
Do you have a bike?

There's a good little gym like 30 mins cycle from town/fallowfield that do student offers. They have bumper plates, squat rack thats always free, space to DL etc. Only issue is there's no power rack and the dumbells only go up to 30kg.

I'd look elsewhere first but its a good back up plan.

Won't have one for a bit but I suppose the bus would do? Got the address? Theres so many gyms but most are either commercial or too far. What about the aquatics centre? I heard that theres an older section with probably every thing I need, sadly I think its been torn down but I don't know for sure.
Original post by Arpie
Won't have one for a bit but I suppose the bus would do? Got the address? Theres so many gyms but most are either commercial or too far. What about the aquatics centre? I heard that theres an older section with probably every thing I need, sadly I think its been torn down but I don't know for sure.

Longford fitness or something. I don't know the address, its in an athletics stadium in a park (longford park). You get access to the track too.

Depending on where you're halls are the buses can be a pain. You might need to catch two buses but they are regular.
Any of you guys ever done lying barbell rows before? What are they like?

Seems like a good way of doing rows super strict minus lower back work but doing valsalva mechanism with your belly pressed against a bench seems a bit dodgy?
Original post by cowsforsale
Any of you guys ever done lying barbell rows before? What are they like?

Seems like a good way of doing rows super strict minus lower back work but doing valsalva mechanism with your belly pressed against a bench seems a bit dodgy?

just do a back supported machine/ t-bar row

also quick question, during the 4 week build up on madcows/texas method, would it make a difference if i paused everything to make it harder and had slightly less rest time?
To get 100kg from 80kg 5x5 is pretty impressive I'd say. It kind of depends how hard the 5x5 is really.
Original post by The Blind Monk
Are you primarily interested in bodybuilding/powerlifting/strongman/olympic lifting? Because I can tell you there's pretty much nowhere in Central that caters to strongman. The Third Space/some Soho Gyms have platforms for olympic weightlifting but as you said, they're very expensive.

For bodybuilding, you could get by in some of the Fitness Firsts like the one just off Russel Square, which doesn't get THAT busy and has some decent equipment (Hammer Strength squat rack, bench, Eleiko bar, some hammer machines) a while ago.

For powerlifting, I don't know any more. If you have the cash, I'd avoid UCL/ULU since they get extremely crowded at peak times, unless you want to train after 8pm or before 4pm, in which case they're passable if you're poor? UCL is better than ULU for lifting as there are more racks/bars etc. I've never been to the YMCA so I can't comment.

If you want real lifting kit, your options are either pay loads for The Third Space or something similar or to go further out towards Bethnal Green/Alperton or somewhere else in the suburbs.

I suppose there's Olympic Sports Gym near Manc but I don't know how convenient that is.

Thanks for the detailed post, but I will be living in Kings X/Euston and studying in Bloomsbury therefore a gym in the suburbs isn't convinient. I am a newb to the gym but have spent all summer making sure everything is ready for me to start SS when I go back to uni, I just need a gym which has a squat rack/power cage and a bench where I can get the basic squat/deadlift/benchpress in without too much congestion. I am willing to go to the gym at times when it will be less busy as soon as it opens or in the late evening (this is not a problem) and am willing to spend about £40 a month.

Would you recommend the Fitness First over the uni gyms?
Mark Rippetoe To Guest Announce at RUM VI
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/23311
Original post by SMed
I thought you/he were/was high 80s.

I take it this weightloss wasn't intentional?

I think there are a few factors including working a physical job, playing football non-stop for over a year, going out on Saturday, getting wasted and being spiked with rohypnol and being dehydrated a lot. I think the last one suggests I might be higher if I ever sort my room out because there are some days I wake up itching and with my joints stiff, just from dehydration I think. It wasn't intentional but I don't mind. Even with all this stuff I'm close-ish to being as strong as I've ever been. I used to be able to strict press 70 for 5, now I can do a triple as part of a high volume workout. My squats are a bit down, bench is a bit down but hard to judge since I do it after dips. I could maybe manage 110 instead of 115-120. Deadlift I don't think about because I don't train it - training it as a comp lift is pointless since I don't compete and training it heavy makes work horrible for 3+ days.

Original post by redbuthotter
What the ****. I don't know anything about you, just pictured you as some 220lbs+ mother****er.

Never been above 90 kg tbh. Pretty offended you don't know anything about me. I'm bigger than in these pictures I think. But we'll see if it's noticable.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2044620&page=4&p=38492790#post38492790
Reply 5988
Original post by The Troll Toll
I think there are a few factors including working a physical job, playing football non-stop for over a year, going out on Saturday, getting wasted and being spiked with rohypnol and being dehydrated a lot.

I never get why people do this to guys (obviously unless they are trying to rape them).

To be honest, when people had mentioned it - I always assumed that they were lying and had just drank too much or taken too much of something but I was out night and witnessed one of my mates having obviously been spiked. I basically saw how much he had to drink (literally 3 pints) and I was pretty sure he hadn't taken anything himself but the guy just got ****ed up and was all over the place. We took him home in a taxi and he was blacking out and being nonsensical.

If someone did it as some kind of prank or joke - they don't get any benefit from it because they see **** all of what happens.
I think there are a few factors including working a physical job, playing football non-stop for over a year, going out on Saturday, getting wasted and being spiked with rohypnol and being dehydrated a lot. I think the last one suggests I might be higher if I ever sort my room out because there are some days I wake up itching and with my joints stiff, just from dehydration I think. It wasn't intentional but I don't mind. Even with all this stuff I'm close-ish to being as strong as I've ever been. I used to be able to strict press 70 for 5, now I can do a triple as part of a high volume workout. My squats are a bit down, bench is a bit down but hard to judge since I do it after dips. I could maybe manage 110 instead of 115-120. Deadlift I don't think about because I don't train it - training it as a comp lift is pointless since I don't compete and training it heavy makes work horrible for 3+ days.

Never been above 90 kg tbh. Pretty offended you don't know anything about me. I'm bigger than in these pictures I think. But we'll see if it's noticable.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2044620&page=4&p=38492790#post38492790

you look like you lift with the back double bicep and rear poses, but from the front you look like a regular joe, i have the same issue ;(
If you want to look better then shave your chest/abs. Its faggy but worth it if you actually care.
Original post by Mark85
I never get why people do this to guys (obviously unless they are trying to rape them).

To be honest, when people had mentioned it - I always assumed that they were lying and had just drank too much or taken too much of something but I was out night and witnessed one of my mates having obviously been spiked. I basically saw how much he had to drink (literally 3 pints) and I was pretty sure he hadn't taken anything himself but the guy just got ****ed up and was all over the place. We took him home in a taxi and he was blacking out and being nonsensical.

If someone did it as some kind of prank or joke - they don't get any benefit from it because they see **** all of what happens.

****ing hell, it actually happens?

I thought TTT was joking.

How or why would people even slip it in?
Reply 5992
Original post by cowsforsale
****ing hell, it actually happens?

I thought TTT was joking.

How or why would people even slip it in?

Well, I thought he may or may not be joking but the point is that I am pretty sure it happens.

In a busy bar or club, I guess it is easy to slip something in someone's drink - I don't have a clue about the why though.
I'm pretty sure my mate did it for a joke (I work with some interesting characters).

Original post by Gallium
you look like you lift with the back double bicep and rear poses, but from the front you look like a regular joe, i have the same issue ;(

I don't think many regular joes necessarily look like my front double bi, but yeah I know what you mean. No chest.

Original post by Slick Fosbury
If you want to look better then shave your chest/abs. Its faggy but worth it if you actually care.

I'll probably do this for the comp. Money on the line. So long as it doesn't itch.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LZRSWRD

Just go train at UCL then. It's the cheapest gym and it's got all the kit you need to do SS. Just go before/after peak hours or be prepared to wait for stuff and look for plates.
Reply 5995
Best maxiraw flavour?

Had chocolate and it was decent, wondering whether strawberry or choc orange are any good?
I think half the time guys get their drink spiked it's cos dumbarse rapists put their **** in a drink thinking it belongs to a girl.

hey nun were you drinking g+t's again?
I was the only one in our group not drinking like a girl! The other two guys were on amaretto and cokes, I was drinking Carling. Well not drinking like a total girl at least.
Original post by The Blind Monk
Just go train at UCL then. It's the cheapest gym and it's got all the kit you need to do SS. Just go before/after peak hours or be prepared to wait for stuff and look for plates.

Will do, thanks alot for your advice - hopefully all works out!
Reply 5999
The other two guys were on amaretto and cokes,

Are they a bit chavvy? Amaretto is a weird one - a favourite of both middle-class housewives and chavvy young fellas.

Latest