The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elise_26
Okay, I will! I have a year and a half more education here before I would go, though! And wow! (I can do pythagoras as a side note :biggrin:)

Yeah in the first lesson of AS maths we were given a test to give the teacher an idea of what we remembered from GCSE maths and this girl totally freaked out.. It was quite funny actually. Yeah it's pretty easy lol. Most of the further education (A-levels, BTECs etc) colleges over here will accept you to do A-levels providing you attend evening classes and do your maths and english GCSEs. Normally that's for people who failed them the first time round due to things like family problems or illnesses. I know people who have been allowed to do certain BTECs like public services etc. after failing their GCSEs due to low intelligence. Colleges aren't REALLY that strict.
Reply 21
Original post by Clare~Bear
If you have equivilent qualifications to gcses then you should be fine although unis often have gcse requirements and you might have to inform them that your quals are equivilent if they're going to reject you because you havent met the gcse requirements.

Okay, thanks for your help! Hopefully the unis would understand that I have equivalent schooling.

Original post by Periwinkle
There are no strict 'entry requirements' for A levels like there are for unis. For example, my college has let people onto languages courses without the GCSE even though it's *technically* required, because they had already reached the required standard. I assume the Australian system is fairly close to the British one (it's not like Australian society is totally different to ours!), and you'll have no language difficulties, so as long as you're at a similar level it should be fine. You might be asked to sit a test, provide a reference or show some of your previous work or something but I wouldn't expect anything more than bureacratic hurdles.

As for uni, don't worry - there are many international applicants (as I assume you have Australian qualifications, as well as the English A-levels you'll get) and so the system is well set up for international qualifications. That will definitely not be a problem.

Yeah, talking to my cousins I'm pretty sure it's a similar level. And yeah, that's what I have been expecting. I hope so, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by littleone271
Yeah in the first lesson of AS maths we were given a test to give the teacher an idea of what we remembered from GCSE maths and this girl totally freaked out.. It was quite funny actually. Yeah it's pretty easy lol. Most of the further education (A-levels, BTECs etc) colleges over here will accept you to do A-levels providing you attend evening classes and do your maths and english GCSEs. Normally that's for people who failed them the first time round due to things like family problems or illnesses. I know people who have been allowed to do certain BTECs like public services etc. after failing their GCSEs due to low intelligence. Colleges aren't REALLY that strict.

Ahaha yes xD

Okay, I'll definately have a look into that, thanks!
I'd honestly do the IB because the Aus system has prepared you better for that.
Okay, thanks for your help! Hopefully the unis would understand that I have equivalent schooling. :smile:

You'd think so but I've heard of people on here who've met the entry requirements but were rejected because they didn't meet the gcse requirements. BECAUSE the uni didn't realise that what they'd got was equivilent to gcses, which is ok. So if that does happen and the only reason they give is the lack of gcses, just give them a ring and explain and it should be ok. But they'd probably know about Australian qualifications so hopefully it won't come to that.

:smile: good luck.
Reply 25
Original post by Calllu-m
I'd honestly do the IB because the Aus system has prepared you better for that.

Yeah, since making this thread I think my opinion has changed.
I'd wanted to do the IB for ages..I hadn't ever considered another option. I thought A Levels would be good because I could focus and excel in three or four subjects, whilst in the IB I would be doing 'unnecessary' subjects and would give me extra pressure.
But now I think about the IB really seems more appealing because firstly, it is recognised in a LOT of countries, and I can see myself living all over the world when I'm older. Also, now that I think about it, doing the IB would make me a more balanced and rounded person, and I could have other career options in the case I changed my mind. I've also heard that it is more challenging than A Levels and prepares you for university better.
And then, there's the fact that I would be a lot better prepared for the IB. I'd only miss out on two terms of schooling before I would do it here, anyway, whilst the A Level curriculum is propbably based a lot on GCSE work.
So overall, yeah, I agree. I still want to keep my options open, but I think I might just do the IB instead.
Reply 26
Original post by Clare~Bear
You'd think so but I've heard of people on here who've met the entry requirements but were rejected because they didn't meet the gcse requirements. BECAUSE the uni didn't realise that what they'd got was equivilent to gcses, which is ok. So if that does happen and the only reason they give is the lack of gcses, just give them a ring and explain and it should be ok. But they'd probably know about Australian qualifications so hopefully it won't come to that.

:smile: good luck.

Eeek, I really hope that's no too big of a problem! Hopefully I would get good enough grades in the IB or A levels for that not to matter TOO much. I'm sure that if I ever get in that situation I'll try and find some way to work around it, even if it means studying at a different uni.
Original post by 16dan2life
I'm not entirely sure Australian grades can be converted into GCSE's, doubt they can.
Nearly all 6th forms here in the UK require gcses to study A levels.
I think you may have to study iGCSE's but don't worry as you may have studied a lot of the content already.

it doesnt matter if they can/cant be converted. All they need to know is if he is capable of studying the AS content.

My headmistress said she might be able to collate my grades throughout the past two years and get a percentage? Hmm...:/

I don't think it really matters if you haven't go GCSEs. I doubt that the system in Auz is a polar opposite of the one in the UK, so you should have then knowledge required.

What I reccommend is that you go on to the AQA or CCEA website and find the past papers for biology, chemistry and maths. Don't worry about psychology as nobody will have done a gcse in that. If you do a few past papers and get bad results, don't worry. Just go on to BBC bitesize gcse and revise all summer. Make sure you revise the higher tier papers though as the content required in that will be needed for a-level study.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Maths-Revision-Guide-Higher/dp/1841465364/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333786008&sr=8-1

Also, these books are a great help. So if you find that you don't know the gcse content, get the exam paper textbooks and the revision guides for biology/chem/maths like the one above. In fact if you do that you'll be better off than the rest of your class who will have forgotten most of the gcse content come september anyway.
Reply 28
Original post by bestofyou
it doesnt matter if they can/cant be converted. All they need to know is if he is capable of studying the AS content.

I don't think it really matters if you haven't go GCSEs. I doubt that the system in Auz is a polar opposite of the one in the UK, so you should have then knowledge required.

What I reccommend is that you go on to the AQA or CCEA website and find the past papers for biology, chemistry and maths. Don't worry about psychology as nobody will have done a gcse in that. If you do a few past papers and get bad results, don't worry. Just go on to BBC bitesize gcse and revise all summer. Make sure you revise the higher tier papers though as the content required in that will be needed for a-level study.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Maths-Revision-Guide-Higher/dp/1841465364/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333786008&sr=8-1

Also, these books are a great help. So if you find that you don't know the gcse content, get the exam paper textbooks and the revision guides for biology/chem/maths like the one above. In fact if you do that you'll be better off than the rest of your class who will have forgotten most of the gcse content come september anyway.

I think that I am going to do the IB instead, as I had originally thought. However I do think that I should still check out some of the GCSE content, because anyway I get in I will still not have covered /exactly/ the same content. Thankyou so much for the advice, I will look into that :smile:
I think that I am going to do the IB instead, as I had originally thought. However I do think that I should still check out some of the GCSE content, because anyway I get in I will still not have covered /exactly/ the same content. Thankyou so much for the advice, I will look into that :smile:

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. IB is the better choice, I did A-levels but can't reccommend IB enough. But yeah, most IB students I know all did GCSEs as well. So best to still check out the gcse subjects you plan on doing your highers in.
Why the devil is there an apostrophe in 'GCSE's'? What are you indicating with it?

There is no need for one.

GCSEs is correct.
Reply 31
Original post by bestofyou
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. IB is the better choice, I did A-levels but can't reccommend IB enough. But yeah, most IB students I know all did GCSEs as well. So best to still check out the gcse subjects you plan on doing your highers in.

Yeah, now I think it might be! and yes, I will, thanks :smile:

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Why the devil is there an apostrophe in 'GCSE's'? What are you indicating with it?

There is no need for one.

GCSEs is correct.

Oh, because I just thought it would be easier to read, you know how some people put an apostrophe in abbreviations like CDs because it looks neater?
does anyone know if its possible to do chemistry A-level when you have a D at GCSE chem?
my friend just got her gcse results and wants to do chemistry at a-level but didnt achieve the required B grade... anyone know of any colleges in london that allow a D grade?
Original post by marcusfox
I did my A-Levels and GCSEs at the same time. I had no prior equivalent qualifications. However, this was a good 17 years ago.

What in the same Subjects or?

Latest