The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cool Cat
Soooo I got my mop cut

shorter than I wanted :unimpressed: but I guess it will grow out soon enough

Too short? Nah, looks good. :yy:
God I hate university sometimes: I met this amazingly fit, buff and intelligent (to boot!) guy a few weeks ago and we sort of had a thing going, but taking it nice and slow for a change. Then, today, we sat down and had a chat about both of us going away for the summer in a few weeks, and how crap the timing of everything was, so maybe it would be best if we just stayed friends.

I never seem to catch a break. The one time I actually meet a decent guy, we're both about to leave for the summer. Which basically translates to 'lets be friends instead' because by the time we see each other again it'll be too awkward to be anything more than friends.

So gutted. :-(
Reply 2162
Original post by Mod Calm
God I hate university sometimes: I met this amazingly fit, buff and intelligent (to boot!) guy a few weeks ago and we sort of had a thing going, but taking it nice and slow for a change. Then, today, we sat down and had a chat about both of us going away for the summer in a few weeks, and how crap the timing of everything was, so maybe it would be best if we just stayed friends.

I never seem to catch a break. The one time I actually meet a decent guy, we're both about to leave for the summer. Which basically translates to 'lets be friends instead' because by the time we see each other again it'll be too awkward to be anything more than friends.

Not necessarily :smile: Why not just stay friends until you're back at university together then start again?
Reply 2163
Picking modules for the next two years... omg I am so excited. And I'm getting an intensive year-long language course paid for by the university :grin:

Original post by Lacus
Not necessarily :smile: Why not just stay friends until you're back at university together then start again?

About time you followed that advice with your fella, too :yes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2164
Original post by thurin
And I'm getting an intensive year-long language course paid for by the university :grin:

Congrats :smile:

Picking modules for the next two years... omg I am so excited.

I can't wait until I get to do this.

... If I ever do get to do this, that is :emo:
Original post by thurin
Picking modules for the next two years...

I did it about a month ago, so much fun. How much freedom do you have with yours?
Has anyone heard Ben Howard's cover of Call Me Maybe? I'm in love. <3

[video="youtube;sPU8V-nvUEk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPU8V-nvUEk[/video]
Reply 2167
Original post by goodcookies
Has anyone heard Ben Howard's cover of Call Me Maybe? I'm in love. <3

His voice in general tbh :moon:
Original post by Liam_G
His voice in general tbh :moon:

I agree. When you see them smiling at eachother in the video, just melts my heart.

:love:
Original post by Tortious
Too short? Nah, looks good. :yy:

cheers :hat2:

I have a chance to go laser questing tomorrow but I feel sick :sick:

I think I have a bad cold that's been brewing for a while. I've been poorly lots recently :unimpressed:
Original post by WantCakeGetCake
Saw this yesterday, it is heartbreaking what he went through, you can see why he wants to speak out, after he was cut out of his partner's life like that.

:frown:

Heartbreaking. :frown:

Original post by The Puppet Master
Did anyone watch the Obama speech? One step in the right direction.

Yes I did. The guy's got balls. I don't know how successful he'll be in getting legislation passed at Federal level - if that's even his plan, but I hope it paves the way for a change in the way the LGBT community in the US are often marginalised.
Original post by thurin
Picking modules for the next two years... omg I am so excited. And I'm getting an intensive year-long language course paid for by the university :grin:

About time you followed that advice with your fella, too :yes:

So are you first year going into second, or second year going into year abroad?? What language(s) do you study?
Reply 2172
I have a chance to go laser questing tomorrow but I feel sick :sick:

I think I have a bad cold that's been brewing for a while. I've been poorly lots recently :unimpressed:

Blates gaymanflu. I've heard it's even worse than manflu.

Go find a nice person and make them wash your dishes and whatnot until you feel better. Threaten them with illnesses if necessary.

:angel:
Reply 2173
Original post by seanfromtheblock
I did it about a month ago, so much fun. How much freedom do you have with yours?

Loads - two out of my seven papers are compulsory (interdisciplinary) but after that I practically get free rein :h:

I'm thinking of taking modernism and Old Norse/Icelandic as my English papers - I'm going to know so many useful languages by the end of this :colondollar: I would so love to learn Icelandic / live there / anywhere in Scandinavia. And that's not just because of their Eurovision entry (mostly)... probably should focus on Russian first, though.

If not Old Norse/Icelandic, maybe Milton or Shakespeare. Don't want to be too obscure. And Milton's such a babe.

I'll only have four exams at the end of third year - three components are extended essays!

Did you get a lot of choice? I love the freedom of the next two years, seeing as three of my four this year were compulsory! :smile:

Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
So are you first year going into second, or second year going into year abroad?? What language(s) do you study?

First year into second. And I don't do a languages degree (well, I am taking an Old English paper) - just one of my modules requires Russian. Oh, so nerdily happy :grin:

Edit: Zomfg. Depending on the level I get to by the end of my second year, I can go travelling over that summer now. Even going by myself, I'd have knowledge of the language so it'd still be worth it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thurin
First year into second. And I don't do a languages degree (well, I am taking Old English) - just one of my modules requires Russian. Oh, so nerdily happy :grin:

As interesting as Russian probably is, it's probably too difficult for me to get to grips with haha. I did German up to A Level, and that was hard lol. However, I'm currently studying French at university - this is almost the end of my eighth year learning the language - I am NOWHERE near fluent, but I love the language and culture. I, too am also going into my second year :biggrin: Can't believe 'Fresher's Year' has gone sooooo fast!
Original post by thurin

Did you get a lot of choice? I love the freedom of the next two years, seeing as three of my four this year were compulsory! :smile:

two out of my 6 modules for next year were compulsory (Ethnomusicology and Practising Music Analysis), then for my four I had to take at least one applied module, and one historical module. I toyed with taking a language, but decided against it. Ended up taking Performance, Opera, Organology and Greek & Roman Music (Which is a Classics module rather than a music one, hopefully I don't need too much knowledge of ancient greek or latin, as I have absolutely none).
Original post by Liam_G
Blates gaymanflu. I've heard it's even worse than manflu.

Go find a nice person and make them wash your dishes and whatnot until you feel better. Threaten them with illnesses if necessary.

:angel:

LAWL de ja vu

:h: :h:

and, I've washed all my dishes myself already tonight :frown:
Reply 2177
Original post by seanfromtheblock
two out of my 6 modules for next year were compulsory (Ethnomusicology and Practising Music Analysis), then for my four I had to take at least one applied module, and one historical module. I toyed with taking a language, but decided against it. Ended up taking Performance, Opera, Organology and Greek & Roman Music (Which is a Classics module rather than a music one, hopefully I don't need too much knowledge of ancient greek or latin, as I have absolutely none).

6 in one year! :redface: My seven are stretched over two years!
Yay, Greek Music :smile: (I realise that's not ancient but still...)

Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
However, I'm currently studying French at university - this is almost the end of my eighth year learning the language - I am NOWHERE near fluent, but I love the language and culture. I, too am also going into my second year :biggrin: Can't believe 'Fresher's Year' has gone sooooo fast!

I'm envious! Do you get to spend a year abroad/have you chosen where you want to go? I wish I'd carried French on into A-level (and got rid of maths - I found that so dull)
I can't believe it's nearly the end of first year too! And even this term is going quickly :\
Original post by Lacus
Why is no one ever helpful?! :angry:

What's the matter sweetheart?

Original post by Crisps
I bet you wouldn't mind having a bit of a play with him either :sexface:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

Lol, he's straight, and not my style, his apprentice on the other hand..

Soooo I got my mop cut

shorter than I wanted :unimpressed: but I guess it will grow out soon enough

Looks good :smile:

Original post by Mod Calm

Why not keep in touch, it might work out? Be optimistic, the summer isn't that long!
Original post by WantCakeGetCake

Looks good :smile:

cheers :h: just worried that the longness of the fringe and the shortness of the rest of my hair looks odd. Also it doesn't seem to want to flip up properly but I can't work out why :s-smilie:

Latest