The Student Room Group

Good Revision Structure?

Hi,

Now that exam season is fast approaching, it is time to do some intensive hardcore revision. :tongue:

After being bombarded with A2 coursework, it is safe to say that I'm finished :biggrin:.

So now that I have a two week holiday (Well technically it isn't, as you will be doing more work from 09:00 to 3:30 at home :tongue:) I have decided to take full advantage of it.

I have structured my time quite nicely, and I need you to analyse it. See if it is feasable or not.

Revision Structure (A typical day in the holidays)

05:00 AM - Wake Up :frown: (Gonna have to, to do well in the summer exams. Will be so worth it in the end).
05:30 AM - 07:00 AM - Revision for Design Technology (Resit Module)
07:30 AM - 09:00 AM - Revision for Design Technology (A2 Module)
09:00 AM - 09:30 AM - Breakfast
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Computing (A2 Module)
12:30 - 13:30 - Lunch Break
14:00 ONWARDS - Study with friends at local library
Reply 1
Make sure studying with friends doesn't turn out to be a waste
Of time. Also revising before breakfast - realllyyy
Reply 2
Original post by Sadsnail
Make sure studying with friends doesn't turn out to be a waste
Of time. Also revising before breakfast - realllyyy

Yes. Why?

I have been doing it for the past three months or so...
Reply 3
Where are the regular rest breaks and rewards

More importantly ... what will you actually be doing during these times ... a schedule is know good if it does not contain work that will actually bring success

Work Smart needs to be your key focus
Reply 4
Do you really need to get up at 5 AM? It seems kind of unrealistic to be honest, esp. since it's not necessary I don't see you sticking to it.

Good luck regardless but yeah. I'd personally recommend getting up at a more realistic time and doing more revision at home than with friends.

Though you know your own limits and how committed you can be.

EMZ=]
Reply 5
Getting up at 5am, I haven't seen 5am in a long time. That structure seems kind of bad in my opinion. For one you wont be able to do three hours straight on one topic and also your putting far to many hours in trust me. It will end up that your revising but not really revising your just sort of staring at pages because your all burnt out.
Reply 6
Your revision structure scares me :s-smilie:
Original post by exam2k10

I have structured my time quite nicely, and I need you to analyse it. See if it is feasable or not.

This will be feasible for some people and not for others. All that matters is that it is possible and effective for you, depending on how you learn best. Thus, asking people to 'analyse' it will not be helpful for you.

Out of all the people I personally know who gained 3 A's or higher in their A2 exams, none started revising that early in the day. Mainly because, to maintain that early start and keep productive, you need to go to bed at about 9, either missing out on a social life or on the best TV! So, thats something which, while impressive in a way, I wouldn't personally do or recommend for others.

My biggest tip is that it isn't necessarily how long you spend revising but what you choose to revise, and how you learn the information. For my A2s, I chose strategically a few topics to learn, and then absorbed a load of essay plans for a few hours a day.

Another thing - mix it up a bit. If you follow the same structure everyday then the exercise becomes repetitive, and whilst you cover material, this tends to be done superficially and ritually, rather than dynamically and interactively. Vary the way you revise, where you revise, how long revision sessions last, and keep happy and motivated.

Follow your own timetable by all means. But bear in mind that revising that early or for that long isn't necessary to do well. My advice is not to take it too seriously - that way you learn more quickly and enjoy it much more.
I think the very early start will tire you out. I suggest waking later, and meeting your friends in the early evening for just a few hours. Focus on what you need to revise. Also, try mixing up your revision into shorter periods, so your brain doesn't get stuck in a rut. Alternate hours say, of DT and Computing. And finally...remember that you wont do well if you don't feel well...get plenty of sleep!!
Reply 9
Ok. Thanks for the advice guys.

You are all telling me to wake up later, but I am so used to waking up early. Have been doing it for more than three months or so.

Need to get up this early anyway, what are you going to do at uni or if you are offered a good job that requires you to start early?

Like I said, I do appreciate what you are trying to say, but waking up early does help.
Reply 10
If you are getting up that early then you will have to also go to bed early because your brain needs sleep in order to process your revision. I'd also see if revising with friends really is that useful before dedicating that much time to it. Also - you feel the need to get up at 5 am but you have time for an hour's lunch? :tongue:
The most important thing that any revision schedule needs to be is realistic! Getting up at 5am is not realistic (or necessary) for the vast majority of people.

Remember it's quality as well as quantity, so you need to be doing worthwhile work in those revision slots, ie. not just reading through notes.

It depends on how you like to work best, but for me at least revising with friends would be a bad idea, too distracting.

Try splitting your work hours up more, going for 2.5/3 hours at a time is quite hard. Try maybe an hour, then a 10 minute break?
Yes. Why?

I have been doing it for the past three months or so...

Is it productive?
Reply 13
Hi,

Now that exam season is fast approaching, it is time to do some intensive hardcore revision. :tongue:

After being bombarded with A2 coursework, it is safe to say that I'm finished :biggrin:.

So now that I have a two week holiday (Well technically it isn't, as you will be doing more work from 09:00 to 3:30 at home :tongue:) I have decided to take full advantage of it.

Revision Structure (A typical day in the holidays)

05:00 AM - Wake Up :frown: (Gonna have to, to do well in the summer exams. Will be so worth it in the end).
05:30 AM - 07:00 AM - Revision for Design Technology (Resit Module)
07:30 AM - 09:00 AM - Revision for Design Technology (A2 Module)
09:00 AM - 09:30 AM - Breakfast
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Computing (A2 Module)
12:30 - 13:30 - Lunch Break
14:00 ONWARDS - Study with friends at local library

Well structured but at least give yourself 2-1 hours extra - wake up at around 7 and at least have a 15 minute break in total during all periods! Good luck
Reply 14
5 in the morning seems like overkill... I don't even get up that early to go to school. :s-smilie: If you get up at 9 and go to bed at 11, you could still fit in a good 8 hours of revision without killing yourself.
Reply 15
Ok. So far the plan is kind of failing due to the fact that I have the seasonal 'common cold'.

Currently recovering. Obviously my health is MORE important than my studies, as I wouldn't be able to study if I was unwell or 'under the weather'.

That being said, I am a bit behind schedule.

Therefore, I would like to know a good way to recover (in terms of studies).

Was planning to a topic a day for each subject (so I have to play catch up and brush up on two chapters that I missed yesterday & Monday).

Please can someone give me some advice.

Thanks
Ok. So far the plan is kind of failing due to the fact that I have the seasonal 'common cold'.

Currently recovering. Obviously my health is MORE important than my studies, as I wouldn't be able to study if I was unwell or 'under the weather'.

That being said, I am a bit behind schedule.

Therefore, I would like to know a good way to recover (in terms of studies).

Was planning to a topic a day for each subject (so I have to play catch up and brush up on two chapters that I missed yesterday & Monday).

Please can someone give me some advice.

Thanks

Let me give you solid advice. You seem to be in the situation where you want to study but somehow you just cannot open your textbooks, right? You really need to just soldier through it like a zulu warrior - there is no other way. Nobody's tips and tricks of study revision plans are going to help you, stop asking and start doing. Trust me, you won't regret it. It sounds harsh and experiencing what you're going through was a lot worst where I had to resit but I kept dreaming about getting good grades with doing nothing about it. And you do not want that to happen to you so stop asking and do your work. It sounds harsh but it needs to be said from the amount you keep asking about revising. Forget what everyone else does and focus on yourself :smile:
Any tips on how to prevent yourself from procrastinating? I'm the biggest procrastinator ever... Literally anything will distract me from revising.

Hm, not sounding too promising...!
Original post by Member737,514
Any tips on how to prevent yourself from procrastinating? I'm the biggest procrastinator ever... Literally anything will distract me from revising.

Hm, not sounding too promising...!

Make learning active.

What are you doing exactly when you're procrastinating? And read my post above to get the reality of procrastination in A Levels

Quick Reply

Latest