The Student Room Group

How to get a first

I understand this might sound naive to some. I'll be starting a degree in computer science degree this September and due to the high level of competition for jobs (most asking for at least a 2:1) and huge fees I'd really like to get a first. I was wondering if anyone has good tips or suggestions for how to achieve this.

I'd like to hear from undergraduates and postgraduates who achieved a first (or those on track for one) as well as those who didn't and how they could have done better.*Practical answers, not just 'work hard' would be really appreciated.*

*Thanks
Reply 1
To be honest when you get to uni it will be common sense. Most of the people who get first are the people who either study hard or have done it before. For example, in my university we have time constraint programming lab. Meaning you have certain amount of time to complete a task. The people who get first in these labs are the people who know nearly everything we have covered and have gone beyond. However still a small amount of people can get first without going over the top just depends how you mange time.
I tried flirting with the teacher, when I was told he didn't actually mark the exams it was more than my face that was red.
Reply 3
It helps to have a genuine interest/be passionate about your subject. Obvious really, but a lot of people do go into their degree without much love for their subject.
Reply 4
As someone else said, love the subject. For me it isn't a chore to attend all the lectures because I love the subject (and attendance isn't compulsory)

Be realistic about how much effort you need to put in. I am lucky in that I can just sit down and read the course texts cover to cover and then be well ahead of the class, but that doesn't work for everyone. Put in the time working in the way which is best for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending