The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by star_123
Hi

At AS I got 4As (in bio, chem, maths and psychology). I'm happy with my UMS for biology and maths but i only just got As in chemistry and psychology (literally A on the dot). Would this be a major disadvantage for me or not?

Not particularly. I don't recall UCL asking for UMS marks from candidates.
Reply 181
Original post by Revent
Not particularly. I don't recall UCL asking for UMS marks from candidates.

OK, thank you! :smile:
Reply 182
Hey guys, do you think an E in critical thinking will hinder my chances?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 183
Original post by Frankiej
Hey guys, do you think an E in critical thinking will hinder my chances?

I will say what I have said to all people posting here: UCL look at a candidates entire application so a weak aspect (such as an E in critical thinking) may be offset by a stronger overall application due to higher BMAT results, better A2 predictions, high GCSE results, a strong personal statement and/or reference.
Original post by Revent
I will say what I have said to all people posting here: UCL look at a candidates entire application so a weak aspect (such as an E in critical thinking) may be offset by a stronger overall application due to higher BMAT results, better A2 predictions, high GCSE results, a strong personal statement and/or reference.

This is true!
Reply 185
Do UCL have a good look at your A2 predictions?
im predicted A*A*A*A, got AAAA at AS but my GCSE's werent great, 3A* 4A 3B
As youv said a weak factor can be offset by stronger areas in your applications, im just wondering if my predictions are enough to offset my GCSEs?
Any help would be great, thanks.
Original post by Boom533
I've heard they interview (or offer an interview) some applicants before BMAT is even taken. Anyone verify this?

I wouldn't say before BMAT was taken, but at interview we were told some people were offered interviews before the results of BMAT (before either the uni or the students got them) :smile:

Original post by zy55
Do UCL have a good look at your A2 predictions?
im predicted A*A*A*A, got AAAA at AS but my GCSE's werent great, 3A* 4A 3B
As youv said a weak factor can be offset by stronger areas in your applications, im just wondering if my predictions are enough to offset my GCSEs?
Any help would be great, thanks.

I have same GCSEs as you. I would not worry I don't think, they seem to use GCSE less compare to other stuff. They look at GCSEs to see how academic you have been before A levels and they say they use it as a 'general indicator'. I think the BMAT, AS grades, PS and reference have more weighting, not sure about predictions.
:smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Boom533
I've heard they interview (or offer an interview) some applicants before BMAT is even taken. Anyone verify this?

Before they take into account BMAT scores, yes.
Reply 189
Original post by Boom533

Is it just me who would be gutted if they did this? Imagine putting all that effort into revising/practising for the BMAT, for them to not even look at your results! :lol:
Reply 190
Original post by raveen789
I have same GCSEs as you. I would not worry I don't think, they seem to use GCSE less compare to other stuff. They look at GCSEs to see how academic you have been before A levels and they say they use it as a 'general indicator'. I think the BMAT, AS grades, PS and reference have more weighting, not sure about predictions.
:smile:

thanks :smile: the general indicator thing is a little worrying but hopefully they dont write us off too soon! have you sent off your application yet?
Reply 191
Original post by suncake
Is it just me who would be gutted if they did this? Imagine putting all that effort into revising/practising for the BMAT, for them to not even look at your results! :lol:

well, not really, id be quite happy for them to give me an interview, regardless of why, i dont really get why you would be annoyed :smile:
Original post by zy55
thanks :smile: the general indicator thing is a little worrying but hopefully they dont write us off too soon! have you sent off your application yet?

I would not worry, they seem to care more about AS grades when it comes to academics rather than GCSEs :smile:
Reply 193
Hi guys!

I've got a firm deferred offer for Medicine 2013 Entry. If you've got any questions about my experience in the 2012 entry process, feel free to PM me or post here (try to quote me so I can see :P)

If not then I look forward to seeing you all next September! :biggrin:
Original post by camurro
Hi guys!

I've got a firm deferred offer for Medicine 2013 Entry. If you've got any questions about my experience in the 2012 entry process, feel free to PM me or post here (try to quote me so I can see :P)

What were your applicant stats like cam? :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by zy55
well, not really, id be quite happy for them to give me an interview, regardless of why, i dont really get why you would be annoyed :smile:

Original post by Boom533
nah I'd just be happy I got called for an interview at UCL :P

Yeah I'd be ecstatic too, I just mean it would be much easier if we didn't have to worry about the BMAT in the first place :redface: I'll stop complaining now hahah
Original post by camurro
Hi guys!

Hi! I also have a deferred offer, what are you hoping to do this year? :h:
Reply 197
Original post by idontevenknow
Hi! I also have a deferred offer, what are you hoping to do this year? :h:

Congratulations :smile: thats a great achievement
question regarding bmat; how much AS maths does it contain, is it just C1? i do three sciences but picked up economics instead of maths :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by zy55
Congratulations :smile: thats a great achievement
question regarding bmat; how much as maths does it contain, is it just C1? i do three sciences but picked up economics instead of maths :/

GCSE
Reply 199
Original post by Revent
GCSE

Thats what i thought but i heard it has as level maths?

Latest

Trending

Trending