The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by im7
I am on OCR, what about you? :smile:

Me too :smile: are you doing global, transport or leisure this january, or finishing two early?
Coming to that point where I kind of wish I did not apply to UCL, I think they are too cool for me :rolleyes:
Original post by salsharifi
Thanks for your replies :smile: Is it necessary for me to do a lot of preparation? (Aside from going over my PS of course) I'm just wondering if they will ask me questions about the current state of the NHS and things like that

Yeah, they asked me about the reforms, and whether I think the NHS is cost effective (but mainly because my EPQ was related to that I think). So I was able to compare it to the American healthcare system, gave advantages and disadvantages and concluded it's pretty damn good :smile: Makes sure you show anything that even slightly relates to your PS, they could go off on a tangent about anything you say. Make sure you know a bunch of things that have been in the news. I wasn't asked this, but some of the other people that got interviewed by different panels on the same day got asked about lots, and even then the interviewer kept asking 'any more?' after they had mentioned 5+.
Reply 1583
Original post by j.t-Jack
The bog standard: talk about both sides of the argument and then give your own opinion. Sure you have heard this a million times before but there is no one right answer

so they will give you a situation and ask what would you do and you talk about both sides. what would you say is the best way to prepare for them???? thank you very much
[insert generic panic statement about my application]
Original post by AspiringGenius

[generic comment saying your application is fine and amazballs]
Original post by Jsheridan
[generic comment saying your application is fine and amazballs]

[insert panic comment about how I cant be mazballs because I havent got an interview]
Reply 1587
Original post by zy55
Me too :smile: are you doing global, transport or leisure this january, or finishing two early?

Doing transport in January and global in June, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[insert panic comment about how I cant be mazballs because I havent got an interview]

[insert sceptic scaremongering comment about how all applications without full marks in every exam is doomed here]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elisabethr
[insert sceptic scaremongering comment about how all applications without full marks in every exam is doomed here]

Posted from TSR Mobile

[insert more panicking!]
Reply 1590
pick me, choose me, interview me!

im not even joking, i love ucl, love everything about it!! ill be the happiest person on earth if i get called in for an interview!!
Reply 1591
Original post by srahman
so they will give you a situation and ask what would you do and you talk about both sides. what would you say is the best way to prepare for them???? thank you very much

Interviewers want to hear your process of thought and see if you are aware of ethical issues that are involved with medicine. They need to see if you are aware of both sides of the argument. So when they ask what would you do, pretty much talk as if you are making up your mind there and then so e.g I was once asked in a practice interview from a panel of imperial students what if deaf parents ask for you to select for deaf embryos during IVF. My response was like: well one must consider the fact that.... but it is also important to remember that... so in general I think that...

I suppose the best way to prepare is to read up on some of the ethical issues in medicine, I read a book on medical ethics so it has got me programmed into a certain way of thinking and it helps you use all sorts of sexy sounding words
(edited 11 years ago)

Don't worry, you're sure to get in! You're much more interesting than most of the people I know. And even if you don't, I'm 100% positive that you'll succeed in whatever you do. :smile:
Reply 1593
Hello everyone!

This is my first post ever. I'm from Portugal and I hope I'll be a 2013 medic.
I got a rejection letter from cambridge a couple days ago, which is ok because I always wanted to go to London. And now I am panicking!!! I can't help thinking that I screwed up my interview, so does anyone has any advices and tips for me? If I ever get called in for an interview...

I read some previous posts and I don't know almost anything about the NHS in the UK, so that might be another problem...:s-smilie:
Hey everyone :smile: I've been called for interview on the 17th of January and I'm so nervous! (UCL is my top choice). Was just wondering if any one who has had an interview already could tell me how it went, any tips etc. It would seriously help me so much. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1595
Original post by Sohee Koh
Hey everyone :smile: I've been called for interview on the 17th of January and I'm so nervous! (UCL is my top choice). Was just wondering if any one who has had an interview already could tell me how it went, any tips etc. It would seriously help me so much. Thanks in advance!

Care to share your stats? :smile:

Good luck btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1596
Original post by Sohee Koh

Did you just get the invite today? congratz btw :wink:
Reply 1597
Have UCL sent most of their interview invitations by now?

Haven't heard back and getting slightly worried.... :dong:
Reply 1598
Original post by Vk3595
Have UCL sent most of their interview invitations by now?

Haven't heard back and getting slightly worried.... :dong:

Are you a gap year applicant, graduate or international, if you are not then I have no idea why you are worried. The email very clearly said that the majority of school leaver applicants will be interviewed in February and seeing as we are only a week into January, there is absolutely no reason to get so freaked out.
Reply 1599
Original post by im7
Doing transport in January and global in June, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both now :s trying to finish it early, might have been a mistake haha, our school generally does global now though

Latest

Trending

Trending