The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SWdon
thanks for the welcome back, lets get this thread rolling again !

hell yeh, make it big :tongue:
Reply 581
Original post by dogra
Listen Sanatan dharma -hinduism is over 5000 years old, corrupt practices have developed, some hindu are moving back to scriptures, and during time a number of people had tried to remove corrupt practices like Sri Ramunuja

Exactly, given how old our dharma is there is bound to have been people who have developed misconceptions and have created bad rituals, thankfully great sages over time have eradicated these.
Original post by Indian_Prince
lololol possibly :wink:

go to sleep you went to sleep at 4 the day before too :redface: and you got work experience, should rest before you exhaust your body completely and become ill. Go sleep :redface:

I won't get I'll. I'm used to the late nights. Plus I slept pretty early last night so I did get some good sleep.:smile:
Original post by dreamer9501
I won't get I'll. I'm used to the late nights. Plus I slept pretty early last night so I did get some good sleep.:smile:

hmm :redface: well hopefully you dont:smile: should really sleep on time you know :redface: bad habit to sleep late:smile:
Original post by Indian_Prince
hmm :redface: well hopefully you dont:smile: should really sleep on time you know :redface: bad habit to sleep late:smile:

Hmmm yeah but I think I got used to it when I was revising for exams. Anyways I am going to sleep now because I have to get up early tomorrow.

Good night manesh :smile:
Hmmm yeah but I think I got used to it when I was revising for exams. Anyways I am going to sleep now because I have to get up early tomorrow.

Good night manesh :smile:

i see, well get back used to sleeping at normal times :redface:

yup yup good night :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by SWdon
The statues (murtis) provide us with a divine concentration so that we can perform our prayers.

Its important to know that we believe in 1 god who appears in different forms and whose avatar has incarnated on earth many times during different eras of time.

Please note that idol worship is not in vedas:

Is Ishwar with form or formless?
A: He is formless as per Vedas and commonsense.

1. He cannot be omnipresent if He has form. Because form implies existence of boundary. And hence He should not exist beyond the boundary if He has form.

Does it mean all these temples and worship of Ram, Krishna, Durga, Lakshmi wrong?
If we can unite to counter these in rightful manner, that would be true glorification of Ram. Same with Krishna, Durga, Hanuman etc.

I have been a fan of Hanumanji throughout my life. My way of his glorification has been preservation of my moral character and putting efforts for a strong and healthy body that serves the society. What point is in worshipping Hanuman with weak body and irritable stomach yet consuming heavy laddus!

While the motive behind all these modes of worship is worth greatest respect and we humbly bow to the purity of true devotees of any cult, it is our wish to see all devotees to adopt the same methods of worship that Ram or Krishna adopted in their own lives!

not a fan of pouring milk and these other idol rituals, this is distraction from main message of humanity in sanatan dharma, which we should focus on
Original post by dogra
Listen Sanatan dharma -hinduism is over 5000 years old, corrupt practices have developed, some hindu are moving back to scriptures, and during time a number of people had tried to remove corrupt practices like Sri Ramunuja

so idol worship is a corrupt practice in hinduism?
Original post by SWdon
The statues (murtis) provide us with a divine concentration so that we can perform our prayers.

Its important to know that we believe in 1 god who appears in different forms and whose avatar has incarnated on earth many times during different eras of time.

so hindus do believe in one god? (but which comes in different forms).... Is idol worship part of hinduism or a corrupt practice which has found its way into the religion?
Reply 589
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
so idol worship is a corrupt practice in hinduism?

yes, but not as corrupt as discriminating against so called different people who do different jobs.
Sanatan dharma teaches to practice humanity as clearly shown from scriptures.
Original post by dogra
yes, but not as corrupt as discriminating against so called different people who do different jobs.
Sanatan dharma teaches to practice humanity as clearly shown from scriptures.

so you could call "pure hinduism" a monotheistic religion?
Reply 591

Yes
Original post by dogra
Yes

very interesting indeed!

At a guesstimate, what percentage of british hindus do you believe share this view and what % of indians share this view?

Do you believe that monotheism or polytheism came first into practice in the world?
What do you guys think about the Arya Samaj?
Reply 594
very interesting indeed!

At a guesstimate, what percentage of british hindus do you believe share this view and what % of indians share this view?

Do you believe that monotheism or polytheism came first into practice in the world?

% MONOTESIM, one god, is majority, others more education is needed..

As regards 2nd do not know, but would say Monotheism
Original post by dogra
% MONOTESIM, one god, is majority, others more education is needed..

As regards 2nd do not know, but would say Monotheism

would it be blashpemous to pray/worship to thin air rather than hand-made statues. Do you think there will ever be a time in hinduism when the idols are thrown out and worship is conducted like other monotheistic religions?
Reply 596
would it be blashpemous to pray/worship to thin air rather than hand-made statues. Do you think there will ever be a time in hinduism when the idols are thrown out and worship is conducted like other monotheistic religions?

1st point, there is no condemnation of ways to worship your own choice, it is the message and carrying out good deeds, as only then can Moksha-going to heaven so to speak, the main end point for a hindu faith, so any discrimination, intolerance, bad behaviour will not result in Moksha.

At some point, yes, as more knowledge is established people will move away from idols and decoration and other rituals around idold, which are not in scriptures but a cultural practice developed in hindu culture so to speak

Nooooooo it's pluralistic religion. One divine being with many forms. :smile:
Original post by dogra
1st point, there is no condemnation of ways to worship your own choice, it is the message and carrying out good deeds, as only then can Moksha-going to heaven so to speak, the main end point for a hindu faith, so any discrimination, intolerance, bad behaviour will not result in Moksha.

At some point, yes, as more knowledge is established people will move away from idols and decoration and other rituals around idold, which are not in scriptures but a cultural practice developed in hindu culture so to speak

What sort of knowledge is required for people to move away from idol worship. If one is allowed to worship how one wishes, why would and should people move away from this practice?
Nooooooo it's pluralistic religion. One divine being with many forms. :smile:

But there is one god with many characteristics/powers? Isn't that one god then?

didn't hinduism orginate as a monotheistic religion?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending