Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Hindu Society

Announcements Posted on
At uni or currently applying? Take our short accommodation survey to win one of 5 x £20 Amazon vouchers 25-06-2016
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:

TSR Hindu Society

"We meditate upon the glorious effulgence of That Supreme Reality from which emanates Existence, Conciousness and Bliss;
    May It enlighten our minds and direct our understanding."
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Aum Bhoor Bhuvah Svaha
    Tat Savitur Varenyam
    Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi
    Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat"

In Devanagari script:

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व:
    तत सवितुर वरिण्यम
    भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि
    धियो यो नः परचोदयात

In Tamil Script:

ஓம்
    பூர்: புவ: ஸுவ:
    தத் ஸவிதுர் வரேண்யம்
    பர்கோ தேவஸ்ய தீமஹி
    தியோ: யோந: ப்ரசோதயாத்

Gayatri Mantra, Rig Veda 3.62.10

Welcome to the TSR Hindu Society!
    Please join us by clicking HERE

Questions about Hinduism may be asked HERE

The Hindu Academy
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The Hindu Academy

A YouTube channel dedicated to teaching Hindus and non-Hindus alike about Hinduism.

What is Dharma?

Facebook

The "Shruti" scriptures
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The primary scriptures of Hinduism are called "Shruti" which translates as "heard" since they were transmitted orally/aurally from teacher to student or parent to child before they were written down. These are the four Vedas:

(Click on the names for direct links to the translations)

1. Rig Veda
    2. Yajur Veda which is split into two parts: Shukla Yajurveda and Krishna Yajurveda
    3. Atharva Veda
    4. Sama Veda

"Vedas" comes from the Sanskrit root "Vid-" = "knowledge" and thus the Vedas are considered books of knowledge; both spiritual and secular.
    The four Vedas themselves are each comprised of four layers:

- Sanhitas (hymns and mantras used during prayers and rituals)
    - Brahmanas (commentaries on hymns and instructions for rituals)
    - Aranyakas (philosophy behind the rituals)
    - Upanishads (abstract philosophy and spiritual concepts)

The Upanishads are the most widely read parts of the Vedas and the ten principal ones are shown here:

1. Isa Upanishad
    2. Kena Upanishad
    3. Katha Upanishad
    4. Prashna Upanishad
    5. Mundaka Upanishad
    6. Mandukya Upanishad
    7. Taittiriya Upanishad
    8. Aitareya Upanishad
    9. Chandogya Upanishad
    10. Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

The Upanishads, however, are highly abstract and difficult to understand for the lay person since they are principle orientated, hence they are not widely read by Hindus.

The Bhagavad Gita
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The Gita is perhaps the most accessible Hindu scripture since it puts the abstract and lofty philosophy of the Upanishads into some context and is hence considered a link between the "Shruti" and the "Smriti".
    It is a philosophical dialogue between Krishna and his cousin, Arjuna, and touches on a range of different concepts such as Dharma, reincarnation, karma, as well as the many ways through which an individual can attain Moksha (liberation from the cycle of reincarnation).

Translations can be found here:
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/gita/agsgita.htm
    http://www.dlshq.org/download/bgita.pdf (from pg. 9)
    http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/intro.html

A selection of significant verses from The Gita:

"Just as a person puts on new garments after discarding the old ones; similarly, the living entity or the individual soul acquires new bodies after casting away the old bodies." (2.22)
    "Weapons do not cut this Spirit, fire does not burn it, water does not make it wet, and the wind does not make it dry. The Spirit cannot be cut, burned, soaked, or dried. It is eternal, all pervading, unchanging, immovable, and primeval." (2.23-24)
    "You have control over doing your respective duty only, but no control or claim over the results. The fruits of work should not be your motive, and you should never be inactive." (2.47)
    "Whenever there is a decline of Dharma (Righteousness) and a predominance of Adharma (Unrighteousness), O Arjuna, then I manifest Myself. I appear from time to time for protecting the good, for transforming the wicked, and for establishing world order (Dharma)." (4.07-08)
    "As the blazing fire reduces wood to ashes; similarly, the fire of Self-knowledge reduces all bonds of Karma to ashes, O Arjuna." (4.37)
    "A yogi, who is in union with the Supreme Being, sees every being with an equal eye because of perceiving the omnipresent Spirit abiding in all beings, and all beings abiding in the Supreme Being." (6.29)
    "Whosoever desires to worship whatever deity with faith — using any name, form, and method, I make their faith steady in that very deity. Endowed with steady faith they worship that deity, and obtain their wishes through that deity. Those wishes are, indeed, granted only by Me." (7.21-22)
    "The same multitude of beings comes into existence again and again at the arrival of the creative cycle; and is annihilated, inevitably, at the arrival of the destructive cycle." (8.19)
    "Self-realization is more difficult for those who fix their mind on the impersonal, unmanifest, and formless Absolute; because, comprehension of the unmanifest by embodied beings is attained with difficulty." (12.05)
    "The one who sees the same eternal Supreme Lord dwelling as Spirit equally within all mortal beings truly sees." (13.27)
    "Thus the knowledge that is more secret than the secret has been explained to you by Me. After fully reflecting on this, do as you wish." (18.63)

The "Smriti" texts
    Spoiler:
    Show
    These are texts of lower authority and yet are the most widely read Hindu works since they are much easier to relate to and understand. The word "Smriti" means "remembered" or "tradition".
    This group of texts help explain the abstract "Shruti" philosophy using narratives and story telling as well as being the records of prevalent traditions in Ancient India.
    However, whenever there is a contradiction between what the "Shruti" teaches and what the "Smriti" teaches, the former is always considered to supersede the latter.

Hindu organisations within the UK Eternally grateful to jr2007 for creating the Hindu Soc
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    ye alright then, if there int one already :cool:

Happy belated Shivratri!
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Surprising there isnt already a Hindu Soc but cool !
    Im in :yy:
    Sumit
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    well i guess it would be good but these societies are pointless to be honest...
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    i'll join
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    This is good but I reckon with a couple more members we could start some real discussions.

(Original post by parag)
    ye alright then, if there int one already

Happy belated Shivratri!
    And to you too!
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Count me IN!! This society should be linked in some way with IFG, dont you think?
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I want to join but when i post a message it will say that i'm a member of the Hindu society. I spend alot of time in the D and D forums, and there i dont want people to know which religion I am. Is there anyway of being a member, but not letting it show up when its convenient?
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    Count me IN!! This society should be linked in some way with IFG, dont you think?
    Dont see why not

(Original post by papad)
    I want to join but when i post a message it will say that i'm a member of the Hindu society. I spend alot of time in the D and D forums, and there i dont want people to know which religion I am. Is there anyway of being a member, but not letting it show up when its convenient?
    You could be like a secret member (?) but im not sure about that, I guess its one for the mods.
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I think the "papad" gives it away tho lol!
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    i'll join
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Not sure yet how to add members manually but we're on the socs panel so everyone can join formally. I need to redo logo, it didnt turn out how it should have
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    iv got a hangover
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky, try drinking water with honey and eat some bananas
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    As Hindus you shouldn't be drinking
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Can I join??
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    im hindu, can i join?
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papad)
    i agree!

youve been a naughty boy! :mad:

lol kidding. Although i do think you should not drink.
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Can I Join?
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papad)
    Exactly right, its tamas and will make you dull and detract your energy away from your studies. Anyway, alcohol is a poison, you wouldnt drink cyanide would you??

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which way did you want the referendum to go?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.