The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Anybody ever read the Upanishads?
Reply 781
How are Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva related to each other? How are the related to the all-pervading God mentioned in Hindu scripture?

At it's core, Hinduism is a monotheistic religion (I think), so how do these 3 tie into all that?
Reply 782
Original post by Noor90
How are Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva related to each other? How are the related to the all-pervading God mentioned in Hindu scripture?

At it's core, Hinduism is a monotheistic religion (I think), so how do these 3 tie into all that?

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva represent the three stages of the universe's life. Brahma is responsible for its creation, Vishnu is responsible for its maintenance and operation. Shiva is responsible for the destruction of the universe. This design persists in Hinduism as Hinduism views time in a cyclical manner, not linear.

There are multiple stories in the Puranas about how they came about. Some stories show Shiva as the dominant God, some show Vishnu as this figure. Brahma is not prayed too.

You'll meet some Hindus (uncommon though) who believe Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are independent of each other and are Gods in their own right. However most believe (myself included) that they are just forms of the eternal in something we understand (just about).

Sanatan Dharma is pluralistic and one can be a complete pantheist or atheist and still be a Hindu. It has been the work of many Hindus since colonialism to make Hinduism an acceptable religion in the West. The first step in this acceptability is to show Hinduism as a strictly monotheistic religion which it is definately not. Any and every text is open to the individuals interpretation.

The Vedas rarely speaks of one God. The Vedas also includes elements of pantheism. The Upanishads are a much bigger proponent of monotheism than the Vedas.

But Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are quite symbolic on every level as everything has a beginning, middle and end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 783
Original post by Ggmu!
Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva represent the three stages of the universe's life. Brahma is responsible for its creation, Vishnu is responsible for its maintenance and operation. Shiva is responsible for the destruction of the universe. This design persists in Hinduism as Hinduism views time in a cyclical manner, not linear.

There are multiple stories in the Puranas about how they came about. Some stories show Shiva as the dominant God, some show Vishnu as this figure. Brahma is not prayed too.

You'll meet some Hindus (uncommon though) who believe Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are independent of each other and are Gods in their own right. However most believe (myself included) that they are just forms of the eternal in something we understand (just about).

Sanatan Dharma is pluralistic and one can be a complete pantheist or atheist and still be a Hindu. It has been the work of many Hindus since colonialism to make Hinduism an acceptable religion in the West. The first step in this acceptability is to show Hinduism as a strictly monotheistic religion which it is definately not. Any and every text is open to the individuals interpretation.

The Vedas rarely speaks of one God. The Vedas also includes elements of pantheism. The Upanishads are a much bigger proponent of monotheism than the Vedas.

But Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are quite symbolic on every level as everything has a beginning, middle and end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay, that makes more sense, thank you :smile:

So Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are kinda like personifications of the Universe's life, like you don't actually believe that there is a God named Brahma, a God named Vishnu and a God named Shiva that are controlling everything, they have just been created to make things easier to understand for the human mind? By "you" I mean you specifically, since I'm sure there are alternative views within the religion :redface:

I hear you about the bold bit, it is the same with Sikhism, it is so sad that people try to make the Eastern philosophies fit into Abrahamic cubbies instead of being proud of their uniqueness.

What are the Upanishads? I remember you saying that the authors of the Vedas are unknown, is it the same with the Upanishads? How many different sets of scripture are there in Hinduism? I know about Vedas, Bhagavad Gita and now Upanishads, are there more?
Hello fellow Hindus :smile:
Reply 785
Original post by Noor90
Oh okay, that makes more sense, thank you :smile:

So Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are kinda like personifications of the Universe's life, like you don't actually believe that there is a God named Brahma, a God named Vishnu and a God named Shiva that are controlling everything, they have just been created to make things easier to understand for the human mind? By "you" I mean you specifically, since I'm sure there are alternative views within the religion :redface:

I hear you about the bold bit, it is the same with Sikhism, it is so sad that people try to make the Eastern philosophies fit into Abrahamic cubbies instead of being proud of their uniqueness.

What are the Upanishads? I remember you saying that the authors of the Vedas are unknown, is it the same with the Upanishads? How many different sets of scripture are there in Hinduism? I know about Vedas, Bhagavad Gita and now Upanishads, are there more?

Exactly, they are concepts embedded in people's mind. The idea of birth, life and death is woven in the belief of Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh. I think it is a fantastic method of putting across such philosophy and mindset through faith and belief. I believe life is exactly as the concept of the trinity. We must all go through these three stages. The genius is, Vedic scriptures then later on from the the Vedas speak on the underlying eternal reality that simply pervades everything and nothing. In the same way, if we are to break free from the constant cycle of rebirth we may also become one with whatever that is eternal.

I dont belive in their literal existence. However next year I will go to Kailash Parvat and I know my heart will be beating like a drum when i'm there. Whenever I've been to places like Haridwar, Gokul, Rishikesh, Mahabalipum, something takes over and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

It sickens me that we feel the need to have our faiths 'approved' by the West. I always see it. Hindus love to quote westerners on our religion and culture as if their opinion holds more weight. The desperate attempt to portray it as strict monotheism probably hurts the most as it remove my favourite thing about Hinduism, the flexibility. We may all believe different things but each and every Hindu will have something in common with one another which shows (to me) that what they have in common are fundamental.

The Upanishads are written in a student-guru conversation. The Upanishads have been written for thousands of years. They have provided the philosophy and deep thought of ancient India. It was less focused on deities and rituals. It was probably highly valued by intellectuals which is the reason it was an exclusive text. Not entirely, Yagnavalkya Rushi was one of first authors and there have been many (I think females too). It only stopped in the previous millennium.

Oh lord, there are so many. It'll hurt your head trying to get them all. The only others on top of the Vedas, Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita would probably be the Brahma Sutras. They are a commentary of the Vedas if I can remember correctly. It has been remembered through time for its quality and some say it is instrumental.

Religious scriptures in Hinduism are set in two groups. One is Shruti (revealed, not of human origin) and the other is Smriti (to be remembered).

In Shruti we technically only have the Vedas. However nowadays, people tend to include the Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and sometimes the Brahma Sutras. Which is fine imo, very thoughtful scripts.

Smriti contains things like the Mahabharata (which contains the Bhagavad Gita), Ramayan, Manu Smriti etc.

Shruti is dominant to Smriti EVERY single time with 0 exceptions. However in practice, it may differ.

It's nice to be able to talk about my religion. Never get a real chance to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
Original post by Deycallmeboo
Hey! I'm not Hindu but I think it is not only a beautiful religion but a beautiful lifestyle, an accepting and kind lifestyle. I like the idea that it is more what you do than what you Believe that defines Who you are. I'm doing some research for a self chosen project and I would like to ask a couple of questions to Hindus who could probably give me a more informed response. Sorry if some of these sound like I am ignorant to Hinduism and do not know much about it but I am trying to discover more and so I must learn!
i was wondering, in Hindu weddings, why is the brides head covered? Is it a sign of modesty and respect?
also, are arranged marriages a common occurence?
What is dharma?
and the last one, I understand that Hindu gods are infact forms of Brahman, does that mean that all gods of other religions could be regarded as Brahman?

oh wait and one last one (sorry!) I was wondering if anyone knew any passages from the scriptures about love, or family?? Sorry I seem so uneducated, I just want to learn more!
thanks

Welcome!

I'm not the most knowledgeable Hindu to be honest so i may not some answers, so sorry about that.

I think it may be a respect thing, I don't even now about this. I dont know why. Women someone cover the top of their head in the Mandir (no rules saying heads must be covered or unwritten rule).

Dharma is a complicated word. It's a Sanskrit word and one of the four objectives of all humans. Dharma has been translated as duty, incorrectly. It cannot be translated into English. It could be said that the dharma of the ear to listen. It could also be said that it is my dharma to do well at university. It's a diverse term.

Yes, certainly, as I see it. There is no need to recognise the individual Gods with their names. God is one no matter how we may disagree and the theists all pray to one God.

I'll try and find some :smile:

Something like this? You have to read it from the bottom up.

124:18 So, like the past, with days of happy fortune, may the new Dawns shine forth on us with riches.
124:17 To all these Sisters who ere now have vanished a later one each day in course succeedeth.
124:16 She decks her beauty, shining forth with sunbeams, like women trooping to the festal meeting.
124:15 The Sister quitteth, for the elder Sister, her place, and having looked on her departeth.
124:14 Dawn, like a loving matron for her husband, smiling and well attired, unmasks her beauty.
124:13 She seeketh men, as she who hath no brother, mounting her car, as 'twere to gather riches.
124:12 Proud of her spotless form she, brightly shiming, turneth not from the high nor froom the humble.
124:11 She, verily, exceeding vast to look on debarreth from her light nor kin nor stranger.
124:10 Wider and wider still she spreadeth onward, and filleth full the laps of both heir Parents.
124:9 There in the east half of the watery region the Mother of the Cows hath shown her ensign.
124:8 She cometh like a fly awaking sleepers, of all. returning dames most true and constant.
124:7 Near is she seen, as 'twere the Bright One's bosom: she showeth sweet things like a new song-singer.
124:6 Truly she fo1loweth the path of Order, nor faileth, knowing well, the heavenly quarters.
124:5 There in the eastern region she, Heaven's Daughter, arrayed in garments all of light, appeareth.
124:4 The last of endless morns that have departed, the first of those that come, Dawn brightly shineth.
124:3 Not interrupting heavenly ordinances, although she minisheth human generations.
124:2 Savitar, God, hath sentus forth to labour, each quadruped, each biped, to be active.
124:1 THE Dawn refulgent when the fire is kindled, and the Sun rising, far diffuse their brightness.

-Rig Veda Book 1
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 787
Original post by Ggmu!
Exactly, they are concepts embedded in people's mind. The idea of birth, life and death is woven in the belief of Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh. I think it is a fantastic method of putting across such philosophy and mindset through faith and belief. I believe life is exactly as the concept of the trinity. We must all go through these three stages. The genius is, Vedic scriptures then later on from the the Vedas speak on the underlying eternal reality that simply pervades everything and nothing. In the same way, if we are to break free from the constant cycle of rebirth we may also become one with whatever that is eternal.

This is one thing I really love about Hinduism, it is not afraid of creativity. Hinduism, more than any other faith in the world today, is a true reflection of the greatness of human imagination. Hinduism really does things out of the box but it does them well, I think it is a great way to get the message across. But it only works because Hinduism allows for individuality and flexibility, which I think are another of it's main strengths.

I dont belive in their literal existence. However next year I will go to Kailash Parvat and I know my heart will be beating like a drum when i'm there. Whenever I've been to places like Haridwar, Gokul, Rishikesh, Mahabalipum, something takes over and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Have fun! Are all those places you listed in Gujarat? What would you say is the number one must-see Hindu temple/pilgrimage site in the world?

It sickens me that we feel the need to have our faiths 'approved' by the West. I always see it. Hindus love to quote westerners on our religion and culture as if their opinion holds more weight. The desperate attempt to portray it as strict monotheism probably hurts the most as it remove my favourite thing about Hinduism, the flexibility. We may all believe different things but each and every Hindu will have something in common with one another which shows (to me) that what they have in common are fundamental.

Agreed, hopefully it doesn't last much longer. Our people try so hard to be accepted by westerners but the funny thing is, many westerners are more fascinated by Eastern philosophy than the Abrahamic religions with which they are familiar. How ironic. I certainly hope this mindset doesn't last much longer, from what I have been told, India is westernizing quite quickly but from my observations, the Indians in the diaspora tend to be much more appreciative of their religion, culture and traditions than the ones in the subcontinent. Personally, I don't want to see India become westernized, it is possible for a country to develop while staying true to it's traditions, India would be better off following the example of Japan.

The Upanishads are written in a student-guru conversation. The Upanishads have been written for thousands of years. They have provided the philosophy and deep thought of ancient India. It was less focused on deities and rituals. It was probably highly valued by intellectuals which is the reason it was an exclusive text. Not entirely, Yagnavalkya Rushi was one of first authors and there have been many (I think females too). It only stopped in the previous millennium.

Oh lord, there are so many. It'll hurt your head trying to get them all. The only others on top of the Vedas, Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita would probably be the Brahma Sutras. They are a commentary of the Vedas if I can remember correctly. It has been remembered through time for its quality and some say it is instrumental.

Religious scriptures in Hinduism are set in two groups. One is Shruti (revealed, not of human origin) and the other is Smriti (to be remembered).

In Shruti we technically only have the Vedas. However nowadays, people tend to include the Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and sometimes the Brahma Sutras. Which is fine imo, very thoughtful scripts.

Smriti contains things like the Mahabharata (which contains the Bhagavad Gita), Ramayan, Manu Smriti etc.

Shruti is dominant to Smriti EVERY single time with 0 exceptions. However in practice, it may differ.

Thank you for the information :smile: I think I am going to stick with trying to get through the Bhagavad Gita first, from what I have been told, it isn't as hard to comprehend as the Vedas but it still provides a very good insight into Hindu/Dharmic philosophy.

This is what I have been using to read it: http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/index-english.html

Every verse has commentaries underneath it, but do you perhaps know of any other resources which would help explain the message, it is still kinda hard to udnerstand at times :tongue:

Btw, do Hindus know who wrote the Bhagavad Gita?

It's nice to be able to talk about my religion. Never get a real chance to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I enjoy it as well, Hinduism is such a fascinating philosophy. Do you think Hinduism has a bright future in India? I know India is westernizing, but does that also mean that people are throwing their religion out the window? I'd imagine that westernization in India would have less adverse affects than it did in the west since Hinduism is flexible and can adapt, whereas Christianity is far more rigid.
Reply 788
Original post by Noor90
This is one thing I really love about Hinduism, it is not afraid of creativity. Hinduism, more than any other faith in the world today, is a true reflection of the greatness of human imagination. Hinduism really does things out of the box but it does them well, I think it is a great way to get the message across. But it only works because Hinduism allows for individuality and flexibility, which I think are another of it's main strengths.

Have fun! Are all those places you listed in Gujarat? What would you say is the number one must-see Hindu temple/pilgrimage site in the world?

Agreed, hopefully it doesn't last much longer. Our people try so hard to be accepted by westerners but the funny thing is, many westerners are more fascinated by Eastern philosophy than the Abrahamic religions with which they are familiar. How ironic. I certainly hope this mindset doesn't last much longer, from what I have been told, India is westernizing quite quickly but from my observations, the Indians in the diaspora tend to be much more appreciative of their religion, culture and traditions than the ones in the subcontinent. Personally, I don't want to see India become westernized, it is possible for a country to develop while staying true to it's traditions, India would be better off following the example of Japan.

Thank you for the information :smile: I think I am going to stick with trying to get through the Bhagavad Gita first, from what I have been told, it isn't as hard to comprehend as the Vedas but it still provides a very good insight into Hindu/Dharmic philosophy.

This is what I have been using to read it: http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/index-english.html

Every verse has commentaries underneath it, but do you perhaps know of any other resources which would help explain the message, it is still kinda hard to udnerstand at times :tongue:

Btw, do Hindus know who wrote the Bhagavad Gita?

I enjoy it as well, Hinduism is such a fascinating philosophy. Do you think Hinduism has a bright future in India? I know India is westernizing, but does that also mean that people are throwing their religion out the window? I'd imagine that westernization in India would have less adverse affects than it did in the west since Hinduism is flexible and can adapt, whereas Christianity is far more rigid.

I like the unique nature of Hinduism. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction in my eyes.

Gokula is near Mathura, in the state of Uttar Pradesh :smile: Haridwar and Rishikesh are in Uttarakhand which is a northern state close to the Himalayas. Mahabalipuram is an old mandir built on the sea near Chennai in 7th century AD (or at least near that time). Hmmm... Wouldn't say there is one. I'd say there are MANY pilgrimage sites a Hindu can visit which are considered very holy all throughout India from top to bottom and i'm sure there are many in Pakistan too.

India seems to be westernising quite rapidly. But I also think there are a generation of young Indians who recognise the beauty and practicality in their culture and traditions. I can't say i'm too worried for India to be honest. It's in a terrible state to be honest when I think about all the negatives, but there are many good things happening too. I suppose it depends on the political class, who leave MUCH to be desired. I don't feel to uncomfortable in saying that I see an 'upgrade' in philosophy of Eastern religions to Abrahamic religions. Maybe people in the West are recognising it too.

The Bhagavad Gita to appears virtually spotless. I'm sure there is something in there that i'm not totally aware of. But the few times i've read it, not seen anything I could very much disagree with. I think it can be made into a VERY complex scripture, but i'm not sure what the need for that is. The Gita was written as it was for everyone with few complications. I'm afraid I have not read any commentaries or explanations of verses. I've decided I'd like to read lots of times before I pick up any commentary or explanations. The Bhagavad Gita is part of a much, much longer epic called the Mahabharata. The Bhagavad Gita is set in the part just before the war starts in the middle of Kurukshetra (name of the battlefield) where Arjun and Krishna speak in the chariot. It's around 800 verses and written as a song.

Hinduism has been around so long and has survived in harsh conditions, I have no worries it will live with Indians forever, if not the rest of the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghazwatul_Hind - Although the work of a pro-minority votebank government brings this fear into my mind sometimes!
Reply 789
Original post by Deycallmeboo
Thank you so much! You explanation of dharma makes sense, I can't explain how but I understand it better now. I appreciate your help with the scriptures :smile: thank youuu!

My pleasure, if I come across any more verses to do with family or love i'll send them your way.
Reply 790
95:1 Ho there, my consort! Stay, thou fierce-souled lady, and let us reason for a while together.
95:2 Such thoughts as these of ours, while yet unspoken in days gone by have never brought us comfort.
95:3 What am I now to do with this thy saying? I have gone from thee like the first of Mornings.

-Rig Veda, Book 10
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 791
Do any Hindus keep images of figures from other religions in their mandirs at home?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 792
191:1 THOU, mighty Agni, gatherest up all that is precious for thy friend.
191:2 Bring us all treasures as thou art enkindled in libation's place
191:3 Assemble, speak together: let your minds be all of one accord,
191:4 As ancient Gods unanimous sit down to their appointed share.
191:6 A common purpose do I lay before you, and worship with your general oblation.
191:7 One and the same bt your resolve, and be your minds of one accord.
191:8 United be the thoughts of all that all may happily agree.

-Rig Veda Book 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 793
212:1 Prayer to Kâla (time), personified as a primordial power.
212:2 Time, the steed, runs with seven reins (rays), thousand-eyed, ageless, rich in seed. The seers, thinking holy thoughts, mount him, all the beings (worlds) are his wheels.
212:3 With seven wheels does this Time ride, seven naves has he, immortality is his axle. He carries hither all these beings (worlds). Time, the first god, now hastens onward.
212:4 A full jar has been placed upon Time; him, verily, we see existing in many forms. He carries away all these beings (worlds); they call him Time in the highest heaven.
212:6 Time begot yonder heaven, Time also (begot) these earths. That which was, and that which shall be, urged forth by Time, spreads out.
212:5 He surely did bring hither all the beings (worlds), he surely did encompass all the beings (worlds). Being their father, he became their son; there is, verily, no other force, higher than he.
212:7 Time created the earth, in Time the sun burns. In Time are all beings, in Time the eye looks abroad.
212:8 In Time mind is fixed, in Time breath (is fixed), in Time names (are fixed); when Time has arrived all these creatures rejoice.
212:9 In Time tapas (creative fervour) is fixed; in Time the highest (being is fixed); in Time brahma (spiritual exaltation) is fixed; Time is the lord of everything, he was the father of Pragâpati.
212:10 By him this (universe) was urged forth, by him it was begotten, and upon him this (universe) was founded. Time, truly, having become the brahma (spiritual exaltation), supports Parameshthin (the highest lord).
212:11 Time created the creatures (pragâh), and Time in the beginning (created) the lord of creatures (Prâgapati); the self-existing Kasyapa and the tapas (creative fervour) from Time were born.

-Atharva Veda

To action alone thou has the right to never to the fruits thereof. Let not the fruit of action be thy motive, nor let thy attachment be to inaction" 2:47 Bhagavad Gita.

Probably my favourite shlok from the Gita.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 794
Anybody have any info on Soma?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
Bump...

Hopeless bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello!

Why would you consider Hinduism better than Buddhism or Sikhism?
Reply 797
Original post by Ankabout
Hello!

Why would you consider Hinduism better than Buddhism or Sikhism?

In for this. :cookie: :biggrin:
Original post by Noor90
In for this. :cookie: :biggrin:

Hehe, let me pose this in your society as well. :wink:
Reply 799
Original post by Ankabout
Hehe, let me pose this in your society as well. :wink:

End well this shall not, I predict a war between Hindu-soc and Sikh-soc :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending