The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Not sure whats up, we seem to have come to a standstill.

Any ideas how to liven things up?
Reply 81
strippers?
Reply 82
lol! count me in :wink:.
heeeeeeelllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...?
yeah, afterall we have very less to talk abt....anycase, its vishu/tamil new year next week, on friday to be precise....pretty important one for us malayalees...
Reply 85
yea sure go for it.
Reply 86
What's the meaning/symbolism behind the Tamil New Year then?
Lets sing some Bhajans. Anyone know any good ones?
Reply 88
thumaka chalat ram chandra??
SolInvincitus
Lets sing some Bhajans. Anyone know any good ones?

om jai jagdish hare?

and as we know, we have diff calendars, saka and i dunno the rest. each starts at different times. this one is the malayalee/tamil calendar and the new year falls on April 14th
Reply 90
Did you guys hear about that bomb blast at a mosque in Dilli? I hate it when Muslim blow up places in India. :mad: Can't India pay countries like Pakistan and those in the middle east to take their Muslims off them.

Why does Hinduism get such bad media? I saw on the bbc news a report of child sacrafices to the godess Kali in Northern India. The report was very derogatory towards Hinduism, and the priests were portrayed very primitively. This was a tantric thing though. BBc also had a program called 'sister of Kali' ages ago. It was about an Irish woman who worked within the bounds of Hinduism doing charity work. Just because she helped some sri Lankan rebels, the BBC dubbed her an 'Irish terrorist'. The program failed to pick up on her charitable causes. Compared to Mother Teresa-who worked within christianity. Of course the BBC sees her as saintly...Also on programmes about the Kumb mehla, the portrayal of naked Saddhus wouldn't have done Hinduism any good. You may have read in the new scientist about Indias sucess in combating AIDS, and how AIDS has decreased in India. Have you seen a news report on this though? I haven't. Its just another example of the MAJOR media companies ignoring Hinduisms good causes.

Taj Mahal is actually a Hindu mandir BTW
Reply 91
There are so many Islamic propaganda websites out there. The stuff they say about Hinduism is horrible.

Do any of you have that bad feeling that 'Westernisation' in india is going to lead to a loss of culture?
Reply 92
Hi,

Is anyone goin or going to bristol?
I want to join :biggrin:
Reply 94
what exactly is a good Hindu? I was asked this question at college the other day!
Reply 95
hey when can we actually discuss things in general such as rituals an things like that? like new threads or subject topics. i like to understand more about hinduism and as far as it goes i hav been considered an anti-hindu lol!!!
Reply 96
what do you want to know, im sure somebody knows the answer.
Reply 97
Hi everyone, sorry for being away for so long - so much work and revision to do im struggling to even get some sleep!

Lets try this for a topic - it seems that as Hindus, we are generally kind of quiet and to ourselves. Like for example, when an image of some of our deities were on shoes or even toilet seats we didnt cause much of an uproar.

Unlike our Sikh brothers, we didnt take to the streets or anything like that. However, I know that passive protests and attempting to resolve the situation behind the media may have occured - my question:

Do Hindus care if what they believe is ridiculed or do we have other means of showing our distaste and attempting to resolve a situation?
Reply 98
hindus= peaceful religion=peacful people= pacifism
Reply 99
to an extent- however, hinduism does say that everything must be taken in terms of its circumstances- just as one example- the mahabharat (and the bhagvad gita) shows that sometimes violence is the lesser of the evils. However, in general hinduism has a general policy of live and let live.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending