The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Im just referring to the others point that if you are of mixed race then you have no identity.

Also Tamilponu.. Hindu Dharma has 1 GOD but in different forms. Please make that fact clear with yourself. We are not a polytheistic religion as the Western religions make it out to be
Original post by Tamilponu
Mxed religion as well One side is Hindu and the other catholic :smile:

Nice thats cool mix
Reply 982
Original post by sachinisgod
Im just referring to the others point that if you are of mixed race then you have no identity.

Also Tamilponu.. Hindu Dharma has 1 GOD but in different forms. Please make that fact clear with yourself. We are not a polytheistic religion as the Western religions make it out to be

Oh... I don't know about that. I don't subscribe to that point of view.

And I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Polytheism has a scope for belief in Hinduism as well as monotheism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daindian
Nice thats cool mix

What mix are you?
What mix are you?

Hindu and Buddhist

Well we Sri lankans follow a different form of Hinduism ,we worship Lord shiva and many other gods,we do not believe in one god in many forms.
Original post by Ggmu!
Oh... I don't know about that. I don't subscribe to that point of view.

And I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Polytheism has a scope for belief in Hinduism as well as monotheism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The word polytheism means = numerous gods

As we do not have numerous gods just 1 God in different forms therefore Hinduism is not polytheistic
Hindu and Buddhist

It's like the same religion in my opinion ^^.

Superb mix.

As we do not have numerous gods just 1 God in different forms therefore Hinduism is not polytheistic

It depend of what hinduism you follow,remember Hinduism is just the name given to many different culture.Like the South and North Hinduism is completely different,the Sri lankan one is similar to the South Indian one.
It depend of what hinduism you follow,remember Hinduism is just the name given to many different culture.Like the South and North Hinduism is completely different,the Sri lankan one is similar to the South Indian one.

x

It depends too be fair. Different areas of India worship different God's. Bengalis kali and durga. There's a
Ganesh mandir. And a radha krishna mandir near me. You also have iskon and Hare krishna too
(edited 9 years ago)
x.

Mate whoever you are, looking at your grammar and spelling you dont seem like a Canadian born and bred.

2. I know what the Dravidian hinduism is as I was born in India so i think i am slightly more qualified to know the difference.

3. You do realise all people of South Asia including Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans were all Hindu ?
(edited 9 years ago)
It depends too be fair. Different areas of India worship different God's. Bengalis kali and durga. There's a
Ganesh mandir. And a radha krishna mandir near me. You also have iskon and Hare krishna too

Omg are you telling em that Durga and Ganesh are not one?

Really surprised that you guys know very little. I will repeat it again. These are just different FORMS of the SAME GOD.
Mate whoever you are, looking at your grammar and spelling you dont seem like a Canadian born and bred.

2. I know what the Dravidian hinduism is as I was born in India so i think i am slightly more qualified to know the difference.

3. You do realise all people of South Asia including Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans were all Hindu ?

Yes I know that,yes I am canadian but from Montreale..........

Really surprised that you guys know very little. I will repeat it again. These are just different FORMS of the SAME GOD.

I think you should not force your aryans beliefs on us ,we do not believe in your form of Hinduism...We are the original hindus.You follow the hinduism which was created by the aryan people,who forced the cast system on our beautifull religion.

Revise your history first,instead of thinking that you know everything...

Exactly.
Reply 995

I don't believe the Vedas explicity states anywhere that there is only one God in multiple forms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
I don't believe the Vedas explicity states anywhere that there is only one God in multiple forms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the beauty of Hinduism is that everyone is free to believe what they want to. That is the reason there are so many sects and ways of worshipping in one religion. Each to their own eh
This is why I don't get into religious debates. It ends up turning into a typical Muslim, one, just cos someone believes differently, they ain't that religion :/
This is why I don't get into religious debates. It ends up turning into a typical Muslim, one, just cos someone believes differently, they ain't that religion :/

Exactly but don't worry ,ignore him he doesn't know anything about what is our religion...

Im a Dravidian myself. Im a Tamil from Eelam("now" known as Sri Lanka).

First off i should say that "officially" im a Hindu. But i do not like to use the word "Hindu" because it is a term used by the Persians to refer to people who lived to the west+south of the Indus river(they were not able to pronounce "Indus" hence they called us "Hindu").

I prefer to call myself a saivan(saivite)

I Would also like to make it clear that regardless of what some Hindus might claim, there are some sects in Hinduism that are totally Atheistic.

I believe In this religion because; Hinduism(i use this word for the lack of a better word) because Hinduism is all about free will. It does NOT have a central authority; it does NOT have a central text(those who claim that the Vedas are the core of Hinduism know ziltch/nothing about Hinduism cos Hinduism is practiced differently in different reagions). a good example is the Tamils in south india and Srilanka. For us the Vedas are almost as alien(unknown) as the Bible or the koran. Our sacred texts(at least for the saivites who are the only sect in Eelam) are the "thevarams","thiruvasakams" and the other philosophical works by the ancient Tamil poets and sages.

We hardly ever use sanskrit in our Siva temples, everything is done on Tamil.

I am a firm believer in science and technology and from what i have learned and read that Hinduism fits modern science very well. In fact; i suggest that you read the book "Tao of Physics" by the prominent astrophysicist Fridjoff Carpa.

Siva is not a "god" but a manifestation of the all-pervasive force of this universe. It is neither man Nor woman.(im a firm believer in equal rights for everyone).

Also; there is another important reason for Us Tamils(Dravidian) to Be Hindu Saivites

the reason is that Siva is a pre-vedic Dravidian Deity. He is a Native god of the Indian Indigenous population as proven by the Excavations at the Dravidian Civilization of the Indus river

http://www.maravot.com/shiva.gif

The Dravidian origins of the Indus Civilization proven (all linguistic scholars agree) by the world renowned Linguist Asko Parpola(the one who was instrumental in decoding the Babylonian writings)

http://harappa.com/script/parpola0.html

Siva(north Indians call it "shiva") derives from the Dravidian(Tamil) word "Sivappu" meaning "red".
he was and has been the deity of the Ancient Dravidian people; it is not surprising that he is also called as "Dhakshinamoorti"(literally meaning the "god of the south").

and we shouldn't forget that the King of Eelam "Ravanan" was and ardent Siva devotee.

The fact that Yoga is a Dravidian system(found in Indus valley) also reinforces my beliefs. I love Yoga Meditation because it accepts that fact that there is not a "set path" but many different paths; many paths as there are many differences amongst Humans. It does not clump everyone together and say"hey you! all of you should follow this exact path or you will fail". Hinduism is all about "self realization' and achieving enlightenment.

And another reason why i like Hinduism is that there is no one to say "this is right/this is wrong". I can do anything i want and no one will say "oh god! you godless heathen! you will surely go to hell!"....lol cos there are no heaven/hell In Hinduism

The thing I love about Hinduism is how it does not say that other religions are wrong. it in fact says that "all rivers lead to the ocean". It does not ask a person to blindly believe in dogma.Hindus are the most tolerant and accepting people in the world

Also; the Caste system that had subverted Hinduism to serve its own ends is no different from the Inquisition justified by christianity and the jihad justified by islam

In fact; you would be surprised to know that in Eelam(Srilanka), Brahmins are Not the high caste!. Ask any Srilankan Tamil about it and they would agree with me!. The High cast are the "Vellala" community and they(and other Hindus) have clearly confined the Brahmin's priests to the temples. The Brahmin's have no say whatsoever in politics or the day-to-day social life of the Tamils in Eelam.

but sadly, in India Brahmins who were supposed to be priests have practically twisted the system to serve their own ends(i hasten to add that not "all" Brahmin's are like that and i hate to generalize)

So for me; Being a Saivite is not only about self realization and achieving enlightenment; but also about preserving the timeless Dravidian culture and feeling part of my community..of connecting with my ancestors who lived millenia ago..and about discovering myself.

Source:From a devout dravidian brother and Historian

http://tamilelibrary.org/teli/tamil.html
http://harappa.com/script/parpola0.html
http://tamil.berkeley.edu/Tamil%20Chair/...
http://www.pitt.edu/~asian/week-1/i-shiv...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian_s...
(edited 9 years ago)

The word "hindu" itself is not an Indian word. Its a word used by the Persians to refer to the people who lived to the east+south of the river "Indus" . as Persians had trouble pronouncing "Indus" correctly they pronounced it as "Hindu". The brits used the same name to refer to the Religion of these people and now the name had stuck.

Hinduism is an amalgamation of 2 different traditions; Of the Native religion of the Indus valley civilization-people of India and the Indo-European(aryan) people who later migrated into india.

The earliest evidence for elements of Hinduism dates back as far as the late neolithic, to the early Harappan period (ca. 70000–3300 BCE).This consists of some core concepts of Hinduism that was part of the native religion of the Dravidian people of south asia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehrgarh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_valle...

Many figurines of female deities have been discovered. These most probably signified creativity and the origin and continuity of life, and they may have been worshipped as symbolic embodiments of the female principle of creative Energy and Power. In modern Hinduism, the counterpart of these symbols is called Shakti. These "mother Goddess" figurines may have been worshipped in the home rather than in any major state cult, but scholars have seen ancient Dravidian feminine divinity sculptures in groups of seven that date back to the Harappan era which mirror the Hindu belief in a Mother Goddess (Devi) being represented in seven modes.

The beliefs and practices of the pre-classical era (ca. 1500-500 BCE) are called the "Vedic religion". The oldest surviving text of Hinduism is the Rigveda, which is dated to between 1700–1100 BCE based on linguistic and philological evidence.

Figures of a male deity with elaborate horns (or horned headgear) have also been uncovered. He is typically seen surrounded by cattle and is called Pashupati, (the Protector of Animals), and is seen by some to be the prototype of Hinduism's ascetic God of Destruction, Shiva. Indeed, in modern-day Shaivism, Shiva has absorbed the names, stories and attributes of not only Pashupati, by which name he is still commonly known, but also the Vedic 'Rudra.' Pashupati is seen sitting in the meditative posture of yogis, suggesting that yoga or inner contemplation was one of their modes of discovering the secrets of life and creation. To this day, the Tantric schools of Hinduism know Shiva to be Yogeshwara, Lord of Yoga, and he is said to be the master of Self-knowledge, meditating for centuries at a time.

Siva(also known as Shiva) seems to have been a Indus God who was later merged into the religion of the aryan tribes as both religious traditions merged into whats known today as Hinduism.

Siva In Indus Valley civilization-In Yogic posture
http://www.pitt.edu/~asian/week-1/i-shiv...

http://www.indiana.edu/~isp/cd_rom/image...

Later The aryan religion of the Aryan tribes(which moved into india about 1700 bc (they did not come as invaders but as a series of migrations, because by 2000Bc the Indus civilization has collapsed due to the shifting of rivers))

The aryan gods were mostly male. they had Indra, Agni, Vayu ..and so on. The Vedas are an important part of the Aryan religious tradition. Later on when both the Aryan and the Indigenous(Dravidian) religious traditions merged, many of the female godesses/deities of the Dravidian people became to be the goddesses of the merged religion. But So did some of the Core gods of Hinduism: Siva. He was later associated with the Aryan god "Rudra" and was known as Rudra-siva.

Interestingly, the Rigvedic deities, like Indra, Agni, Vayu etc., are not the principal gods of present day Hindus. Those Indo-Aryan gods have equivalents in other Indo-European gods worshiped by other Indo-European speaking peoples. Those gods occupied the highest position until the advent of Christianity in those societies, with little discernible trace remaining of the Pre-Indo-European deities and traditions. However in India the traditions of native groups such as the Dravidians seem to have mingled more fluently with those of the migrants and have taken the pride-of-place.

As Hinduism as we now know it emerged from the merging of the 2 different traditions it began to spread outside of India, through trade routes, mostly.

South east asia was mostly Hindu by the 8th century AD.
and surprisingly, the largest Hindu temple (and the largest Temple of any religion in the world too) is in cambodia. It is the Anghkor wat
http://www.sacredsites.com/asia/cambodia...

Buddhism began as a reform movement within Hinduism and was prominent In india for a few centuries, But due to the advent of the bakhti(devotional) movement In southern India and the reforms/teachings of the southern Hindu-apostle of India "Adi Sankara" Hinduism revived In India and again became the religion of the country

We have to keep in mind that Hinduism does not have any central-authoritative figure or even central cannon(religious texts). Each region has its own religious texts /priorities and no Hindu would consider it to be somewhat heretical.It is an "encompassive" religion that takes into itself many different philosophies and ideas into itself without seemingly contradicting itself.

Buddhism and Jainsn got re-absorbed into Hinduism in India.
Its influence is felt as far east as japan, and as far west as the americas; where Yoga is now more popular than ever. So all in all, Hinduism is a Thriving religion

You know very little about our religion,please learn about the subject...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending