The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guren
I read that link and they have bascially changed the label of god to higher being, and their are branches like buddhism, but we all know he was a reincarnation of Lord Vishnu, so their isn't really much argument. It justs seems counter productive to do that.
Nothing wrong with living a good honest life, it's all lables at the end of the day, just don't like it when people misuse it.

"The early Mimamsa not only did not accept God but said that human action itself was enough to create the necessary circumstances for the enjoyment of its fruits.[17]
Samkhya is an atheistic[18] and strongly dualistic[19][20] orthodox (Astika) school of Indian philosophy. The earliest surviving authoritative text on classical Samkhya philosophy is the Samkhyakarika (c. 350–450 CE) of Iśvarakṛṣṇa.[14]:63 The Samkhyakarika accepts the notion of higher selves or perfected beings but rejects the notion of God.[21]"

I don't really understand what you're saying, but ok :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1201
Original post by Guren
I read that link and they have bascially changed the label of god to higher being, and their are branches like buddhism, but we all know he was a reincarnation of Lord Vishnu, so their isn't really much argument. It justs seems counter productive to do that.
Nothing wrong with living a good honest life, it's all lables at the end of the day, just don't like it when people misuse it.

"The early Mimamsa not only did not accept God but said that human action itself was enough to create the necessary circumstances for the enjoyment of its fruits.[17]
Samkhya is an atheistic[18] and strongly dualistic[19][20] orthodox (Astika) school of Indian philosophy. The earliest surviving authoritative text on classical Samkhya philosophy is the Samkhyakarika (c. 350–450 CE) of Iśvarakṛṣṇa.[14]:63 The Samkhyakarika accepts the notion of higher selves or perfected beings but rejects the notion of God.[21]"

No Hindu is made to believe in personal deity like Allah or the Christian God.

The reasoning behind Sankhya philosophy (if you believe in re-incarnation and karma) is solid.
Original post by Ggmu!
No Hindu is made to believe in personal deity like Allah or the Christian God.

The reasoning behind Sankhya philosophy (if you believe in re-incarnation and karma) is solid.

No hindu is made to do anything in that case. Karma says you will get punished for actions you know that are bad, no matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise.
Reply 1203
Original post by Guren
No hindu is made to do anything in that case. Karma says you will get punished for actions you know that are bad, no matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise.

That is correct, there is no dogma.

Who is to decide what is bad and what isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
That is correct, there is no dogma.

Who is to decide what is bad and what isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the scriptures do lay down certain things like eating beef, harassing people etc, but they don't force you not to stop doing that, just informs you that if you do, you will get what you dished out to others haha.
Reply 1205
Original post by Guren
Well the scriptures do lay down certain things like eating beef, harassing people etc, but they don't force you not to stop doing that, just informs you that if you do, you will get what you dished out to others haha.

Who wrote these scriptures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Who wrote these scriptures?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't have a traced source.
Reply 1207
Original post by Guren
It doesn't have a traced source.

Which do you derive your rules from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to join this society, are you the head of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1211
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
I want to join this society, are you the head of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah why not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks.
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? Google it, loads of people agree it doesn't have a traceable source, unlike the Abrahamic ones written by people.
Reply 1214
Original post by Guren
What do you mean? Google it, loads of people agree it doesn't have a traceable source, unlike the Abrahamic ones written by people.

Which of the scriptures do you derive your rules from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What an absolute shame this society isn't more active! You lot have some of the greatest spiritual scripture and literature in the entire world, your philosophers are no less praise-worthy than their Roman and Greek counterparts and your civilization is the oldest surviving in the entire world... too bad most Hindus would rather buy into western materialism and hedonism than even bother to learn about the herculean accomplishments of their ancestors.

In any case, I've found myself drawn to Hindu spirituality for some time now. Can anyone give me a rundown of major beliefs?
Original post by JasonGenova
What an absolute shame this society isn't more active! You lot have some of the greatest spiritual scripture and literature in the entire world, your philosophers are no less praise-worthy than their Roman and Greek counterparts and your civilization is the oldest surviving in the entire world... too bad most Hindus would rather buy into western materialism and hedonism than even bother to learn about the herculean accomplishments of their ancestors.

In any case, I've found myself drawn to Hindu spirituality for some time now. Can anyone give me a rundown of major beliefs?

I agree. It's a shame not a lot of people outside India know about Hindu literature and philosophy.

As for a rundown of major beliefs, I would argue the non-dualism (Advaita Vedanta) of Atman and the Brahman is a major theme in the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita. Then there's the 4 goals of life: dharma, artha, kama and moksha. I'm sure there's more, depending on which school of philosophy one follows.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I agree. It's a shame not a lot of people outside India know about Hindu literature and philosophy.

As for a rundown of major beliefs, I would argue the non-dualism (Advaita Vedanta) of Atman and the Brahman is a major theme in the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita. Then there's the 4 goals of life: dharma, artha, kama and moksha. I'm sure there's more, depending on which school of philosophy one follows.

Explain it more.
I was wondering today can I really call myself a hindu when I know nothing about the religion my family is hindu but all us next generation kids don't really know much about the religion would you think this is good or bad, I guess we all have hindu values because were all morale people and I am part of HSS
Reply 1219
Original post by SunDun111
I was wondering today can I really call myself a hindu when I know nothing about the religion my family is hindu but all us next generation kids don't really know much about the religion would you think this is good or bad, I guess we all have hindu values because were all morale people and I am part of HSS

You should only call yourself a Hindu if you wish to, you have no obligation to do so.

I'd advise reading the Gita if nothing else. For me, it's the essence of Hinduism condensed into the smallest number of words possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending