The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Anyone enjoyed the Navratri Garbas?I think I burned off a stone from nine nights of dancing.
Reply 161
Thankyou for accepting me
Reply 162
I done dandiyah once, but im a bit shy to do the dance.
Reply 163
SolInvictus
Anyone enjoyed the Navratri Garbas?I think I burned off a stone from nine nights of dancing.

I did and it was great fun. :biggrin: Everyone is so happy during that festival.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HinduAs some of you may know that I am one of the leaders of this society so I am writing this message to inform you that I may not be online alot these days so I won't be a leader.

This society will be lead by the founder: jr2007

If he want, he will choose another leader for this society. :smile:
Reply 164
Woah its been a long time!

Sorry I have been away for so long its been a while since I have had time to go on TSR! Im now at Kings College studying away hard but hopefully will be posting much more regularly.

As many of you may know, Anived will not be online as regularly as before and so it has come the time for me to choose a new co-leader. Just PM me your interest and a reason why you think you will be a good leader and I will set up a poll for everyone to select the best person.

Hope you all had a good Navratri, Diwali is just round the corner so I'm already geared up for that! I have already lost a lot of weight from dancing and dandiya but I guess thats all coming back on now my parents have dropped off some food for me!

Anyway, take care and will hear from everyone soon!
Reply 165
[Rainbow]Happy Diwali![/Rainbow]
Reply 166
Wow, I'm so detached from my Hindu-ness, as well as my Indian-ness.

I don't own a single kurta pajama. I can't speak, read, or write Hindi. I have no clue what the **** navratri garba is. I don't care or know when diwali is. I do NOT know how to make friends with Indians. I've tried joining my college's Indian student union, and HATED it because I just can't FIT IN!

You guys are so lucky.
Reply 167
Happy diwali all:smile:
svdesi

I don't own a single kurta pajama. I can't speak, read, or write Hindi. I have no clue what the **** navratri garba is. I don't care or know when diwali is. I do NOT know how to make friends with Indians. I've tried joining my college's Indian student union, and HATED it because I just can't FIT IN!

You guys are so lucky.

Why are they lucky? You just said you don't care when Diwali is... that kind of implies that you don't care!
Reply 169

You guys are so lucky.

Im afraid that this is the status quo now adays for many young Hindus.

Try learning Hindi. Buy a book on Hinduism. Make sure its written by a HIndu.
Do you like cricket? Indian food? Ever been to India?
Dont give up what ever you do. Dont forget your roots.
I admit I don't know a lot about Hinduism, but I know enough. Just wanted to say Happy Diwali everyone! Though I sure Diwali's over for you guys over there, it's still 8:30 here.

HAPPY DIWALI!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 171
yo! Could some1 explain to me sanatana Dharma. I know it is the 'eternal religion' but could any tell me a bit more about it :smile: thanks
svdesi

You guys are so lucky.

Hinduness does not mean Indianess. There are, and have been Hindus who are South East Asian, Indonesian, Central Asian and even Greek! They all had their own cultures, but were united by relgion.

A kurta pyjama doesn't make you Hindu. In fact it is an modern form of dress adopted from Turko-Islamic peoples who ruled Northwest India.

Hindi is no special language to Hinduism. Most of the worlds Hindus do not use Hindi as a mother tongue, and many different groups use different languages. If you are looking for a unique and truly "Hindu" language, then I recommend Sanskrit. It is a gorgeous language, and it helps improve your mind in so many ways.

And Garba is a regional dance that is part of some Hindus culture of celebrations. I didn't even know what they were until I came to Uni.

And don't worry about what race, ethnicity, religion or culture your friends are. If they are good people and are a good influence on you, thats all that really counts.
Reply 173
heyy can i join please :biggrin:
hope you all had a good diwali..i need to shed some pounds now!!
Reply 174
lol..hmm no one posts here anymore :s-smilie:
Reply 175
Happy Bhagavad Gita Jayanti :smile:

:wavey:
Reply 176
to be fair i dont blame anyone here for not posting too much. Afterall Hinduism is not mentioned much in the media, so we generally have very little to talk about.
Reply 177
hmm true..ok umm..what do u guys think of the caste system in Hinduism?
Reply 178
I think that at one stage in time, it served its purpose in creating a functional social structure, but it has no place in today's world, which is why I think that it is good that it is starting to die out. I don't think, however, that it is something that can be eradicated forcefully, it can only slowly fade from society.
Reply 179
just to say:

a part of our hindu culture...have a look at it:
http://www.akshardham.com

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending