The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Gravastar
And the other is statistics :rolleyes:

In fact, it would probably be better if you left such embarrassing GCSEs as those (along with Food Technology, Business Studies, Jewish Studies etc.) off the forms altogether...

You can't just leave them off the forms - you have to give all your qualifications. Also, there's nothing wrong with Business Studies - I know someone who got into Cam with Business A level, and I'm sure plenty others have too.
Reply 21
What kind of AS modules scores do they expect (in particular A level History, English etc)?
Reply 22
if the predicted grades are nething like my school ull be fine. Most students are predicted B-E grades yet our school rarely achieves below C's in A Levels (Predictions are made by the council and our teaches say they mean nothing.)

Im predicted all 4s for IB and im currently on 7,6,5,5,4,4 which is well above my prediction (and i didnt revise for the exams cos they only first year mocks)
Reply 23
GCSEs mean nothing, my friend got in with very low scores (mostly Bs and Cs and maybe an A or two), as every one else has said- they're going to be interested in your AS/A level results and even more important, your interview. Looking at your grade predictions I'd ask why you were looking at doing medicine when you're doing much better in History- are you not interested in an arts degree?
~Bex~
You can't just leave them off the forms - you have to give all your qualifications. Also, there's nothing wrong with Business Studies - I know someone who got into Cam with Business A level, and I'm sure plenty others have too.

Are you sure about that? I left off a Young Enterprise exam I did - I know it's hardly a GCSE, but seeing as you enter everything else on your own, couldn't you just leave off what you like?

And I was talking about Business Studies GCSE, which is pretty useless.
moojoo
So you don't need straight A* as everyone is saying

Have you bothered to read the thread? No-one has said that you need straight A*s.
Reply 26
Well I got in with A*AAABBBCCC.

When they say that they want people who know about the subject they want to study, it's probably a good idea to listen and know your subject.
Reply 27
ramdayal
its embarassingly not a joke:redface: :redface: i just seem to find A levels a LOT harder! it just shows that people who get extremely good GCSEs dont always get straight As at A levels!

yeah then if you had half a clue you would realise you need minimum AAB.
Reply 28
puppy
GCSEs mean nothing, my friend got in with very low scores (mostly Bs and Cs and maybe an A or two), as every one else has said- they're going to be interested in your AS/A level results and even more important, your interview. Looking at your grade predictions I'd ask why you were looking at doing medicine when you're doing much better in History- are you not interested in an arts degree?

Such blanket statements are wrong. GCSEs do matter, they are just only one part of a complex admissions process. There are distinct advantages in having a string of A*s over Bs and Cs but equally not having great grades does not stop you getting in
Reply 29
I think they're extremely important at showing academic potential. All of my A-levels are arts based. Am I therefore able to do sciences/maths? Well I got an A in maths and AA in double science so I can't be all bad at GCSE lol.
drsmeeth
I think they're extremely important at showing academic potential. All of my A-levels are arts based. Am I therefore able to do sciences/maths? Well I got an A in maths and AA in double science so I can't be all bad at GCSE lol.

Oh, like GCSE sciences mean anything drsmeeth :rolleyes:
Reply 31
dragons_circle
Have you bothered to read the thread? No-one has said that you need straight A*s.

Yes I did bother to read the thread actually, but it probably would have helped if I'd put a comma in. i.e. So you don't need straight A*s, as everyone is saying.
Completely opposite meaning...:p:
~Bex~

Food Tech isn't the easiest subject in the world, there's a lot of science-related stuff in it, e.g. nutrition, bacteria, blood cells, etc.
phil_m88
usually as long as you have over B's for most of them (preferably As or A*s) they don't mind

Of course they'll accept the odd B*.
phil_m88
Food Tech isn't the easiest subject in the world, there's a lot of science-related stuff in it, e.g. nutrition, bacteria, blood cells, etc.

Sorry - first question on the test in our year:

1. Name one ingredient that one could add to muffins to make them more appealing.

Now, that's quite an easy A*...
Reply 35
Chocolate Chips
Gravastar
Sorry - first question on the test in our year:

1. Name one ingredient that one could add to muffins to make them more appealing.

Now, that's quite an easy A*...

Surely that's a bit of a subjective question: some people might think toothpaste on a muffin is appealing- would that get you the marks? I hate tomatoes, for example, so if I were marking the exam and saw someone had written tomatoes I wouldn't find that appealing. :confused:
Reply 37
Food tech cw is lot of time though...
Reply 38
I hate it when people give one question from an exam and try to make out that it is demonstrative of the whole thing. Of course GCSEs have micky mouse questions on, the whole point of the damn things is to have everybody sitting one common set of exams rather than siphoning people off into GCE's and CSE's as they used to, so they need to have questions to differentiate between E's and U's as much as they do A*s and A's. This is what irritates me about the whole debate about exams "failing" -- it seems to presume that our exams are meant to serve the purpose of differentiating between the top few people of any set. They're not, and frankly I do not think this is a massive failing of the system. Yes, it could and should be augmented, but to damn the whole system because you can't tell between the top percentile and the second percentile is ridiculous.

</rant>
Mostly I'm just amazed that you can do a whole GCSE about Food, and have NO idea how to cook even spaghetti once you get to the end of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending