The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by ElationAndPathways
Yes but a paraphilia you're born with is still not a choice...

I'm just mad that people still think that one's sexual attraction is a choice. :angry:

Homosexuality won't hurt people, homophobia will.
Reply 581
Original post by minimarshmallow
I don't have any to hand but I would probably be able to find some using google scholar or google books when it isn't half 5 in the morning.
And non of the studies you have presented are flawless, because no study is. The 5% type 1 error rate is the convention, but would only apply to studies that have absolutely no confounding variables at play. So I don't need 400.
Read the entire post next time.

Well you need at least one, it's not like I'm actually expecting you to find 400. I'm not expecting you to find any. You are certain they exist?

As I said earlier, did you having sex have no impact on your life whatsoever? I assume you had no feelings for her, and you knew for certain she'd had no sexual contact before you so had no chance of STIs and was infertile so you didn't have to think about pregnancy. No? Well then...
I'm not sure what you mean by impact. I suppose it gave me confidence and sexual prowess. I did have feelings for her, of course she had sexual contact before me. She was on the pill and used a condom when you claim she "raped" me. :lol:

Really don't see how this is in any way relevant to this discussion? What's this got anything to do with people under 16 being able to consent to sexual activity? :lolwut:
Original post by kuteascake
Being gay really isn't a choice and it blows my mind that so many people still think it is! Even if being a paedophile isn't a choice either, you can't compare the two because they are completely different. Gay people don't harm anybody; if two adults both want the same thing, what does it matter if they are both the same gender? Paedophilia is different, simply because there's a unconsenting child in the equation.

You shouldn't 'struggle' to accept homosexuals, because there's no reason not to.

Ok, so if the child consents, then should we allow children to have sex with adults? You'd be saying yes following up what you've said.

And also, gay people don't harm anybody, but the gender ratio within a successful population is extremely important (1:1.07 to be precise, any serious deviations from this and you've got a problem which perpetuates itself). There are no immediate evident harms, but you have no clue what could happen in the future if homosexuality is accepted as a perfectly normal thing, and it's encouraged, by 'proud' homosexuals advertising it everywhere as they do. It could have serious consequences.

I don't have a problem with homosexuals, not in the least, but no one should be encouraging it as it's being done now. If someone is definitely gay already then fine, but if a teenager growing up is on the cusp between homosexuality and heterosexuality or is bisexual, then wouldn't you rather - for the sake of him, his future etc. - turn out to be straight?
Ok, so if the child consents, then should we allow children to have sex with adults? You'd be saying yes following up what you've said.

Except a child is incapable of consenting to sexual activity.

And also, gay people don't harm anybody, but the gender ratio within a successful population is extremely important (1:1.07 to be precise, any serious deviations from this and you've got a problem which perpetuates itself). There are no immediate evident harms, but you have no clue what could happen in the future if homosexuality is accepted as a perfectly normal thing, and it's encouraged, by 'proud' homosexuals advertising it everywhere as they do. It could have serious consequences.

Source? What are you talking about?

You also seem to be implying that sexual orientation is a choice...except all evidence says otherwise.

I don't have a problem with homosexuals, not in the least, but no one should be encouraging it as it's being done now. If someone is definitely gay already then fine, but if a teenager growing up is on the cusp between homosexuality and heterosexuality or is bisexual, then wouldn't you rather - for the sake of him, his future etc. - turn out to be straight?

Again...you are implying that sexual orientation is a choice....but there is no evidence to support such a position.
Reply 584
And these could just have easily been negatives.
I know plenty of people who had sex underage who got STIs or got pregnant/got their girlfriend pregnant or were used and heartbroken - but couldn't see any of this coming beforehand due to the underdeveloped frontal lobe!
What has that got to do with an underdeveloped frontal lobe? :confused: That's a nonsensical argument. You're referring to a lack of experience. How can people have prior experience if they aren't allowed to gain it? Adults can catch STIs and get pregnant too you know. Prepubescent children generally can't have sexual intercourse or fall pregnant.This would only refer to sexual intercourse, not all the more common types of sexual activity. The only problems you cite can be solved with the use of a condom. You do not need a fully developed frontal lobe (which you actually gain in your mid/late 20s) to operate a condom.

The STI argument is weak regardless, why don't children not require developed frontal lobes to consent to breathing air or eating something? They may breathe in infectious diseases or consume dangerous pathogens.:rolleyes: STIs are far rarer and less harmful than those diseases. Your argument ignores the existence of free contraception and condoms.
Reply 585
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
that doesn't make the two comparable. Also...no evidence suggests people are born with paraphilia. It may be that they aren't a choice but that doesn't mean they were 'born with it'.

Interesting how you swing your argument when it favours you.

This thread is 30 plus pages long, you have not provided any conclusive evidence that homosexuality is not a choice, you have not provided any evidence that someone is not born a paedophile. So if you are going to make an assumption, at least state your assumptions before making them like I do - otherwise we may get get the wrong impression that you are trying to convey a disproved notion as fact.

Original post by Auzuki
Me again! But I just cannot get my head around this. How can you think like this? From this one post, you've already disgusted me.

Quick question, you're against gays, what about blacks? Jews? Anyone who's not the same as you? We live in a modern society, and I think it's about time your morals caught up with everyone else. Stop living in the dark ages, and accept people for who they are!

They're not pretending they're gay to piss the likes of you off. Tbh, the majority of homosexuals don't even know you exist. They're gay because that's what they're attracted to. I fail to see how your point of veiw makes a difference to this. If two men fall in love, I say let them! Who the hell are you, am I, is anyone to tell them no? There's no difference in the feeling of two men, or two women, or a man or a woman falling in love.

If two people of the same sex want to get married, let them! If you think you can somehow prevent this with your opinions, then you really are big headed. I think homosexual, and hetrosexual, couples are adorable, and I don't see why anyone has the right to tell them they're not allowed to be together, just because they happened to be born with the same genitalia.

There's a 50% chance you'll be born a girl, 50% chance you'll be a boy. It's just genetics. And two guys, who both happen to have a Y chromosome, should be allowed to be together, without people like you frowning upon them. It's nothing like incest, and nothing like paedophilia. It's just two people in a relationship, possibly having sex. Get the hell over it, and move on with your life.

Again let us investigate your claims. Adorable is a subjective opinion based term.

Currently it is illegal in the UK for anyone to practise incest in the UK. Most people draw to saying children produced of incestuous relationships will be disadvantaged, I do personally agree with this. However we all know one can maintain a sexual relationship without procreating, secondly incest may also refer to a homosexual incestuous couple.

So explain to me why it is illegal for two adult consenting homosexual siblings to maintain a sexual relationship and not homosexuals? After all they are both adult and consenting, so why is one wrong and one right?
Not sure why everyone is so keen to preserve the human race...

No, that's not what I meant at all. I meant that the two are completely different, in that one circumstance doesn't involve minors and the other does. Paedophilia is wrong and I definitely didn't mean to suggest that if a child is consenting to sex with a paedophile, it makes it all okay.

The thing you say about gender ratios is interesting, but at the same time you cannot assume that if everybody in the world were straight, they'd reproduce. Plus the fact that people should be able to enjoy life how they want to without carrying the fate of the entire world on their shoulders. There are enough heterosexual couples in the world, plus gay couples who want to adopt, plus new forms of science that mean babies can be created, to mean that we're not going to run out of people in the near future (or before the species dies out because of another factor).

I don't believe that sexuality is black and white and I don't like how you suggest that somebody who is confused about their sexuality or somebody who is bisexual should just be straight and have done with it. Why is being gay such a bad thing?
Reply 588
Original post by Jamie
Its a completely arbritrary line drawn by this society. This society as others have set the bar lower.

But one should differentiate between two sorts of underage sex. That with a sexually mature teenager like a 14 year old is very different to that with a sexually immature 8 year old.

This however does not answer the question why it would be harmful. Why do you keep avoiding the question?

Original post by Jamie

Therein lies the problem. You view sexual intercourse as a completely benign entity. Whereas it technically has more risk and consequences than many medical procedures such as taking a bloodtest.

I'm not talking about sexual intercourse. I'm talking about all forms of sexual activity. There are more types of sexual activity than just intercourse you know.

How exactly does having safe consensual sexual activity have "more risk and consequences" than most invasive medical procedures?

Why is everyone incapable of answering this simple question?

Original post by Jamie
THere are various aspects to consent which require a level of maturity, understanding and dealing with long term consequences.
Its not simple. You don't become competent to consent at a specific age, and not all children will be at the same level of others of the same age.
Again, arbritray lines for 16 were created, with specific tests and rules applied to consent in under 16 years of age.
I can't see a 40 year old guy checking the 12 year old he is about to bang is Fraser competent.

What are these "long term consequences" you are actually talking about? All these vague non-descript problems you keep bringing up, why can't you actually explain anything? Is it doublethink?
Reply 589
Nobody is trying to say that homosexuality isn't a choice

I am sorry, but some members have endlessly tried to and failed to debate homosexuality not being a choice. I am happy that their claims have been founded to be untrue.
Reply 590
Exactly this. I wasn't allowed to fill a prescription for antacids when I was aged 15, this carries much less risk than having sex.
Yes there are individual differences and 16 is arbitrary, but it is an average. It wasn't just plucked out of thin air.

The current age of consent was decided to lower rates of prostitution in Victorian England. It was brought in to prevent people from having sex with and marrying daughters of wealthy families without their permission and getting their wealth. Nothing to do with your frontal lobe argument. I don't know why you have this naive belief that public policy is decided upon by science. This has never been the case.

Why we still have policies dictated by repressive and puritan Victorian age morality, I do not know.

Maybe if you knew a bit more about history and politics of your own society you wouldn't be so naive in this regard.
Original post by kuteascake

I don't believe that sexuality is black and white and I don't like how you suggest that somebody who is confused about their sexuality or somebody who is bisexual should just be straight and have done with it. Why is being gay such a bad thing?

But that's what I mean! Sexuality is not black and white, so even if there are genetics involved, sometimes, when a person is 'grey', environmental factors could potentially heavily influence someone's sexuality. The way things are going with the media etc, more of these people who are grey about their sexuality will circumstantially turn out to be homosexual. 'Why is being gay such a bad thing'? I'm not saying it's not a bad thing, but if it can be avoided, I'm sure anyone would want to avoid it. Whatever you say about it being part of choice or not, I'm sure you'd agree that it is not normal. That is fact. Biologically, a man is supposed to reproduce sexually with women. Our sexual drive is, essentially, merely a tool that our genetic material uses to make us procreate. Therefore homosexuality is not normal (notice I'm not saying it's bad), so it shouldn't be encouraged
Reply 592
Original post by konvictz0007
Interesting how you swing your argument when it favours you.

This thread is 30 plus pages long, you have not provided any conclusive evidence that homosexuality is not a choice, you have not provided any evidence that someone is not born a paedophile. So if you are going to make an assumption, at least state your assumptions before making them like I do - otherwise we may get get the wrong impression that you are trying to convey a disproved notion as fact.

Again let us investigate your claims. Adorable is a subjective opinion based term.

Currently it is illegal in the UK for anyone to practise incest in the UK. Most people draw to saying children produced of incestuous relationships will be disadvantaged, I do personally agree with this. However we all know one can maintain a sexual relationship without procreating, secondly incest may also refer to a homosexual incestuous couple.

So explain to me why it is illegal for two adult consenting homosexual siblings to maintain a sexual relationship and not homosexuals? After all they are both adult and consenting, so why is one wrong and one right?

Well, of course I'm going to have a subjective opinion based term, it's my point of view!

I never said it was wrong. And even though I don't agree with it, I don't write posts here saying that they're wrong and stuff. Tbh, I don't really care about what the law says, I'm all for anarchy anyway. All I would say is, if it is herosexual siblings, it is unfair on any offspring they produce, as they have a lesser chance of surviving. I don't judge an entire genre of people though, unless they're biggots, because I have no time for people who can't give all humans equal rights. I wouldn't automatically start saying how disgusting homosexual siblings are, because ther could be lovely people.

All I'm say is don't judge people withought knowing them.
I must say, you have a point. I am in no way homophobic, but one must see it from a logical point a view, very well done!
Reply 594
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Quote it or it didn't happen.
In the literature CSA stands for "Child sexual abuse". Read the bits in bold.

Rind, Bruce, Tromovitch, Philip, and Bauserman, Robert (1998). "A Meta-Analytic Examination of Assumed Properties of Child Sexual Abuse Using College Samples," Psychological Bulletin, 124(1), 22-53
"Many lay persons and professionals believe that child sexual abuse (CSA) causes intense harm, regardless of gender, pervasively in the general population. The authors examined this belief by reviewing 59 studies based on college samples. Meta-analyses revealed that students with CSA were, on average, slightly less well adjusted than controls. However, this poorer adjustment could not be attributed to CSA because family environment (FE) was consistently confounded with CSA, FE explained considerably more adjustment variance than CSA, and CSA-adjustment relations generally became nonsignificant when studies controlled for FE. Self-reported reactions to and effects from CSA indicated that negative effects were neither pervasive nor typically intense, and that men reacted much less negatively than women. The college data were completely consistent with data from national samples. [...]
Fifteen studies presented data on participants' retrospectively recalled immediate reactions to their CSA experiences that were classifiable as positive, neutral, or negative. Overall, 72% of female experiences, but only 33% of male experiences, were reported to have been negative at the time. On the other hand, 37% of male experiences, but only 11% of female experiences, were reported as positive. [...] Seven female and three male samples contained reports of positive, neutral, and negative current reflections (i.e., current feelings) about CSA experiences. Results were similar to retrospectively recalled immediate reactions, with 59% of 514 female experiences being reported as negative compared with 26% of 118 male experiences. Conversely, 42% of current reflections of male experiences, but only 16% of female experiences, were reported as positive. [...] The overall picture that emerges from these self-reports is that (a) the vast majority of both men and women reported no negative sexual effects from their CSA experiences; (b) lasting general negative effects were uncommon for men and somewhat more common for women, although still comprising only a minority; and (c) temporary negative effects were more common, reported by a minority of men and a minority to a majority of women."

Oellerich, T.D. (1998). "Identifying and Dealing with 'Child Savers'", IPT Journal.
"Kilpatrick (1992) concluded that early child and adolescent sexual experiences, unless there was force or high pressure involved, had no influence on later adult functioning regardless of the type of partner involved (i.e., relative or non-relative) or the age differences. She reported that, when she discussed her findings with professionals, they closed their ears to them. They were most closed to those findings that indicated positive reactions to these early sexual experiences and to those findings that indicated that incestuous experiences did not cause irreparable harm."

Arreola, Sonya; Neilands, Torsten; Pollack, Lance; Paul, Jay; Catania, Joseph (2008). "Childhood Sexual Experiences and Adult Health Sequelae Among Gay and Bisexual Men: Defining Childhood Sexual Abuse," Journal of Sex Research, 45(3), pp. 246 - 252.
"Childhood sexual experience [minor-minor and adult-minor was included in this definition] was composed of three categories: None (no sex before age 18); consensual only (sex before age 18 that was NOT considered by the respondent to have been forced); and forced (having been "forced or frightened by someone into doing something sexually" at least once before age 18). [...] Interestingly, the forced sex group and the no sex group were statistically indistinguishable in their level of well-being, while the consensual sex group was significantly more likely to have a higher level of well-being than either of the other two groups. This suggests that consensual sex before 18 years of age may have a positive effect, perhaps as an adaptive milestone of adolescent sexual development. The emphasis in these data on pathology does not permit further exploration of this possibility. [...] There were no differences in rates of depression and suicidal ideation between the consensual- and no-sex groups. The consensual- and forced-sex groups had higher rates of substance use and transmission risk than the no-sex group. The forced-sex group, however, had significantly higher rates of frequent drug use and high-risk sex than the consensual group. Findings suggest that forced CSEs result in a higher-risk profile than consensual or no childhood sexual experiences, the kind of risk pattern differs between forced and consensual childhood sexual experiences, and the underlying mechanisms that maintain risk patterns may vary. It is important to clarify risk patterns and mechanisms that maintain them differentially for forced and consensual sex groups so that interventions may be tailored to the specific trajectories related to each experience."

Rind, Bruce (1995). "An Analysis of Human Sexuality Textbook Coverage of the Psychological Correlates of Adult - Nonadult Sex", Journal of Sex Research, 32(3), p. 219-233
"First, researchers using college samples who have investigated consequences of adult-nonadult sex have generally found either no effects on psychological adjustment attributable to this experience (e.g., Cole, 1987; Fromuth, 1986; Harter, Alexander, & Neimeyer, 1988; Hatfield, 1987; Higgins & McCabe, 1994; Hrabowy & Allgeier, 1987; Pallotta, 1991; Predieri, 1991; Silliman, 1993; Zetzer, 1990), or only a few effects out of many measures--effects that have been small in terms of effect size (e.g., Alexander & Lupfer, 1987; Bergdahl, 1982; Edwards & Alexander, 1992; Fromuth & Burkhart, 1987; Haggard & Emery, 1989; Sarbo, 1984; White & Strange, 1993). Thus, college students who have experienced sex with adults when they were younger do not, as a group, exhibit the kind of maladjustment that has been frequently reported in clinical studies (for reviews of clinical studies, see, e.g., Beitchman, Zucker, Hood, DaCosta, & Akman, 1991; Beitchman et al., 1992)."

Stanley, Jessica L., Bartholomew, Kim, and Oram, Doug (2004). "Gay and Bisexual Men's Age-Discrepant Childhood Sexual Experiences ", The Journal of Sex Research, 41(4), pp. 381-389
"This study examined childhood sexual abuse (CSA) in gay and bisexual men. We compared the conventional definition of CSA based on age difference with a modified definition of CSA based on perception to evaluate which definition best accounted for problems in adjustment. The sample consisted of 192 gay and bisexual men recruited from a randomly selected community sample. Men's descriptions of their CSA experiences were coded from taped interviews. Fifty men (26%) reported sexual experiences before age 17 with someone at least 5 years older, constituting CSA according to the age-based definition. Of these men, 24 (49%) perceived their sexual experiences as negative, coercive, and/or abusive and thus were categorized as perception-based CSA. Participants with perception-based CSA experiences reported higher levels of maladjustment than non-CSA participants. Participants with age-based CSA experiences who perceived their sexual experience as non-negative, noncoercive, and nonabusive were similar to non-CSA participants in their levels of adjustment. These findings suggest that a perception-based CSA definition more accurately represents harmful CSA experiences in gay and bisexual men than the conventional age-based definition. [...] no differences in adjustment were found between participants with CSE histories and participants who did not report an age-based CSA experience. Additionally, the perception-based definition predicted maladjustment in four areas of interpersonal difficulties over and above that predicted by the age-based criterion. [...] empirical evidence indicates that age-discrepant childhood sexual experiences are not necessarily harmful (e.g., Constantine, 1981; Rind et al., 1998; Steever et al., 2001). Therefore, it must be acknowledged that a violation of social norms, which is the basis for the age-based definition, does not necessarily result in harm. A definition of CSA based on social norm violations is further problematic for same-sex relations because same-sex sexual activity is considered a social norm violation by many. Some in the gay community believe that some sexual experiences involving mature adolescents and older partners may be beneficial (e.g., Sandfort, 1983; Savin-Williams, 1998). Several arguments can be made supporting this position. These sexual experiences may provide these adolescents with the opportunity to explore their sexuality and feel affirmed by the gay community. Gay youth often speak of feeling different from their childhood peers and unaccepted by the dominant culture. It may be less threatening for young gay males to seekout an older gay male than to risk rejection and possible humiliation from making sexual advances toward a peer (cf. Savin-Williams, 1998). A sexual advance toward a peer may be dangerous for a gay youth if it is responded to with physical aggression, outing to the larger group of peers, and/or social rejection (Fisher & Akman, 2002). Combining perception-based CSA experience with noncoercive, nonnegative, nonabusive experiences, as the age-based definition does, presents a misleading picture of childhood sexual abuse. An age-based CSA definition inflates prevalence rates of childhood sexual abuse and inaccurately suggests that the maladjustment associated with perception-based CSA experiences applies to all childhood age-discrepant sexual encounters. In contrast, these results suggest that gay men with histories of nonnegative, noncoercive child-hood sexual experiences with older people are as well adjusted as those without histories of age-discrepant childhood sexual experiences."

Rind, Bruce (2001). "Gay and Bisexual Adolescent Boys' Sexual Experiences With Men: An Empirical Examination of Psychological Correlates in a Nonclinical Sample", Archives of Sexual Behavior, 30(4), 345-368
"Over the last quarter century the incest model, with its image of helpless victims exploited and traumatized by powerful perpetrators, has come to dominate perceptions of virtually all forms of adult-minor sex. Thus, even willing sexual relations between gay or bisexual adolescent boys and adult men, which differ from father-daughter incest in many important ways, are generally seen by the lay public and professionals as traumatizing and psychologically injurious. This study assessed this common perception by examining a nonclinical, mostly college sample of gay and bisexual men. Of the 129 men in the study, 26 were identified as having had age-discrepant sexual relations (ADSRs) as adolescents between 12 and 17 years of age with adult males. Men with ADSR experiences were as well adjusted as controls in terms of self-esteem and having achieved a positive sexual identity. Reactions to the ADSRs were predominantly positive, and most ADSRs were willingly engaged in. Younger adolescents were just as willing and reacted at least as positively as older adolescents. Data on sexual identity development indicated that ADSRs played no role in creating same-sex sexual interests, contrary to the "seduction" hypothesis. Findings were inconsistent with the incest model. The incest model has come to act as a procrustean bed, narrowly dictating how adult-minor sexual relations quite different from incest are perceived."
Baurmann, Michael C. (1983). Sexuality, Violence and Psychological After-Effects: A Longitudinal Study of Cases of Sexual Assault which were Reported to the Police.
"The victimological analysis was based on a 4-year questionnaire study (1969 - 1972) of virtually all sexual victims known to the police in the German state of Lower Saxony (n = 8058). [...] To recapitulate, only half of the declared victims (51.8%) of indecent assault suffered from injuries or even severe trauma. The other 48.2% had no problems in connection with the experience. In most of these cases the sexual offense was relatively superficial and harmless and/or the "victim" consented to the offense (page 459). [...] Homosexual contacts played no important statistical or criminological role in this study. On the one hand, they composed only 10-15% of the cases, and on the other, the sexual contacts were described by the victims themselves as "harmless", almost exclusively without the use of violence by the suspect (page 287), and as a result, none of the male victims questioned felt themselves to have been injured. In addition no injury could be determined in these cases with the help of test procedures."

Steever, E. E., Follette, V. M., & Naugle, A. E. (2001). "The correlates of male adults' perceptions of their early sexual experiences," Journal of Traumatic Stress, 14(1), 189–204.
"Three groups of participants were assessed for this study: (1) men who report no history of childhood sexual experiences or report a history of consensual childhood and adolescent sexual experiences with peers (less than five years age difference; NSA), (2) men who do not identify themselves as survivors of childhood sexual abuse, but report a history of childhood or adolescent (before age eighteen) sexual experiences that were coercive/forced in nature, occurred with an individual at least 5 years older than the subject, or were incestuous in nature (involved an older family member), thus satisfying typical research definitions of child sexual abuse (ESE), and (3) men who report a history of childhood sexual experiences that they label as sexual abuse (CSA). [...] Analysis of variance between groups revealed that Group CSA (M = .71, SD = .42) reported significantly more distress than Group NSA (M = .40, SD = .36) or Group ESE did (M = .46, SD = .22). [...] Consistent with our hypotheses, participants in Group CSA were twice as likely to have participated in psychotherapy as participants in Group ESE. In fact, more than half of Group CSA reported that they had sought mental health treatment. [...] Participants in Group ESE, who by standard research criteria would be classified as "abused" did not seek out mental health counseling to a statistically greater degree than participants in Group NSA. Because the participants in Group ESE did not report higher levels of psychological distress than those in Group NSA, it seems likely that these men did not seek treatment because of lack of distress."

Finkelhor, David (1990). "Early and long-term effects of child sexual abuse: An update," Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 21(5), pp. 325-330.
Using mostly clinical samples: "Almost every study of the impact of sexual abuse has found a substantial group of victims with little or no symptomatology. Runyon (personal communication, September 23, 1988) found one quarter to one third of the victims without symptoms on the study's major clinician-rated measure of trauma. Mannarino and Cohen (1986) found 31% to be symptom-free. Tong et al. (1987) noted 36% of the children within the normal range on the Child Behavior Checklist. Conte and Schuerman (1987), using an extensive list of symptoms that included such minor items as “fearful of abuse stimuli” or such global items as “emotional upset,” found that 21% of abused children had no symptoms whatsoever (see also Sirles, Smith, & Kusama, 1989). [...] Research shows that such asymptomatic children are more likely to have been abused for a shorter period of time, without force and violence or penetration, by someone who is not a father figure and to have gotten support from parents in the context of a relatively well-functioning family (Browne & Finkelhor, 1986)."

Rind, Bruce & Tromovitch, Philip (1997). "A meta-analytic review of findings from national samples on psychological correlates of child sexual abuse," Journal of Sex Research, 34, 237-255.
"The self-reported effects data contradict the conclusions or implications presented in previous literature reviews that harmful effects stemming from CSA are pervasive and intense in the population of persons with this experience. Baker and Duncan (1985) found that, although some respondents reported permanent harm stemming from their CSA experiences (4% of males and 13% of females), the overwhelming majority did not (96% of males and 87% of females). Severe or intense harm would be expected to linger into adulthood, but this did not occur for most respondents in this national sample, according to their self-reports, contradicting the conclusion or implication of intense harm stemming from CSA in the typical case. Meta-analyses of CSA-adjustment relations from the five national studies that reported results of adjustment measures revealed a consistent pattern: SA respondents were less well adjusted than control respondents. Importantly, however, the size of this difference (i.e., effect size) was consistently small in the case of both males and females. The unbiased effect size estimate for males and females combined was ru = .08, which indicates that CSA, assuming that it was responsible for the adjustment difference between SA and control respondents, did not produce intense problems on average."
Reply 595
Original post by Auzuki
Well, of course I'm going to have a subjective opinion based term, it's my point of view!

I never said it was wrong. And even though I don't agree with it, I don't write posts here saying that they're wrong and stuff. Tbh, I don't really care about what the law says, I'm all for anarchy anyway. All I would say is, if it is herosexual siblings, it is unfair on any offspring they produce, as they have a lesser chance of surviving. I don't judge an entire genre of people though, unless they're biggots, because I have no time for people who can't give all humans equal rights. I wouldn't automatically start saying how disgusting homosexual siblings are, because ther could be lovely people.

All I'm say is don't judge people withought knowing them.

The point was not whether you or I desire according to our opinions.

My point was what the law says and why is one treated different to another (homosexual couple versus homosexual incestuous couple), one is illegal and one is legal, why?
minimarshmallow
Nobody is trying to say that homosexuality isn't a choice

I am sorry, but some members have endlessly tried to and failed to debate homosexuality not being a choice. I am happy that their claims have been founded to be untrue.

Woah, way to misquote me. Or not read the entire post. Either way, don't do it again.
I said that nobody is trying to say 'homosexuality=not choice' and 'paedophilia=choice'. Neither one is a choice. Doesn't make them the same or even similar because they have one thing in common.
I have blonde hair and so does Marilyn Monroe, are we the same or similar? No.

My original post that was misquoted:
Nobody is trying to say that homosexuality isn't a choice and paedophilia is, so there is no invalid argument.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 597
You are an excellent troll, and that was a painful read.
Reply 598
The point was not whether you or I desire according to our opinions.

My point was what the law says and why is one treated different to another (homosexual couple versus homosexual incestuous couple), one is illegal and one is legal, why?

Well, tbh, the law is ****ed up anyway. Why should some goverment have the right to tell us what to do, and what not to do? Who are they to control us as individuals? Whenever I make this point, people always say "We voted them in,"

Well,

1. I'm seventeen, I didn't
2. Everyone knows controlling realtionships are wrong. You are told that as soon as your partner begins to control you, you get the hell outta there. And yet, we chose to be with them in the first place. Is the government so different?

Anyways, fts, if you're in love with someone, be with them. I don't see how it makes a difference to anyone elses life.
Reply 599
Exactly, I acknowledged the difference between being a similar age, and a 40 year old and an 8 year old. I never said that it 'all was coercive'. The difference is that a 40 yr old is more physically and mentally developed than an 8 year old, and fully understands the consequences, whilst an 8 year old can't understand, and has not yet gone through puberty. You are quite frankly an idiot, if you cannot see the difference.

You need to go through puberty in order to reproduce, not to engage in sexual activity. So you admit that it's not always coercive, and therefore not always harmful. But why is an 8 year old incapable of understanding the concept of sexual activity? What are all these consequences you keep bringing up but never bother to explain?

You still haven't explained why it would matter if there is a difference in age. You've again, conveniently ignored that question.

Of course someone needs a mental capacity in order to have sex, would you have sex with someone in a coma? Or someone with mental health issues, in that they wouldn't understand what was going on? No.
I'm pretty sure a 15 year old has the mental capacity to understand the concept of sexual activity. How have children got the same mental capacity as someone in a coma? :lolwut: Care to come up with anything less nonsensical? Or at least make your strawman arguments less obvious?

It was the risk that pedophiles would try and defend sexually abusing children, that led them to backtrack.

Do you know what? I can't even be bothered. I find your views astounding, that you think it is okay to have sex with a child that hasn't fully developed mental capacity in order to understand what is going on.
No, the issue is that you cannot prove they don't have the mental capacity to understand what's going on, when it's obvious they clearly can and it's not a very difficult concept to understand. Amazingly, a natural process somehow comes naturally to humans. Who would have thunk it. So that's what's it's very hard tale to believe.

You need to back up your claims before you start making outrageous assertions you obviously cannot prove.

There may be some evidence to back up that not all sexual interactions with children are harmful, but to suggest that it does not matter if there is like a thirty year age gap between adult and child, is abhorrent.
So you admit that child sexual activity is not necessarily harmful? Finally. :congrats:

However what has even LESS basis is the idea that an age gap between people matters. Why would it matter? You still haven't explained why. Except that it's apparently "abhorrent". Your wanton moralising has no basis in reality.

Why is thirteen better than sixteen sorry? Do we want children in second year a t school becoming mothers, when they can't get a job, and many children of that age can barely look after themselves?

:facepalm: You talk as if the age of consent actually prevents children from experimenting with sex. Children in second year at school are already becoming mothers, and have been doing so for years. The problem is a lack of sexual education, which people like you, self-appointed moral guardians, fail to realise might actually be beneficial.

Lowering the age is irresponsible, as one of the consequences of sex can be pregnancy. Nothing is 100% effective, and to invite young children to take that risk is completely stupid.
It's not inviting people to take risks, it's decriminalising young people from doing something which is completely harmless and natural.

It's not ignoring reality and thinking that will somehow work, the reality is that most normal people start having sexual activity much younger than 16. It's in line with other European countries such as Spain. Who guess what? Have a much lower teenage pregnancy rate.

I can see why you hold some of your views, as there has been studies to back up your claims, however you fail to see the bigger picture on the matter. Even if 'we just lowered the age of consent' as you say, there would be huge ramifications to that, as there is the potential to have lots more mothers who are barely in their teenage years, and can barely look after themselves let alone provide for a child. Also, there would be children younger than that, as people would argue 'what is the big difference between 11 and thirteen', as you have said about 16 year olds.

The idea that children will start having more sex just because the age of consent is lowered is a stupid idea with no basis in reality. It's like saying that people will stop drinking alcohol or smoking cannabis because it's illegalised. :rolleyes: The age of consent has never stopped anyone having sex if they want to.

I'm afraid the slippery slope argument/fallacy won't work here.

I have had enough of this conversation, it is tiring and we have polar opposite views on the matter, so there is really no point for it to continue. We aren't going to convince each other! Have a nice day.

One day if you choose to embrace reason, instead of prejudice, ignorance and dogma, you will be happier for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending