The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Intercollegiate halls waiting list

Hi all, I'm looking to live in intercolleigate halls next year. However, because I have previously studied at a UK instituation this means I am not guaranteed a place in them. Therefore I expect to be applying to the waiting list when it opens in early september. I was wondering what people's experiences are of the waiting list? And if anyone has been in a similar situation. Cheers for any advice, Paddy!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did anyone else apply to the waiting list on 12th September?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Isometrix
Did anyone else apply to the waiting list on 12th September?

Yep, I'm not sure how long it takes to find out though. At this rate I'll probably just withdraw from King's and apply to another university for next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Eternal Crescendo
Yep, I'm not sure how long it takes to find out though. At this rate I'll probably just withdraw from King's and apply to another university for next year.

Have you already been at uni before or live in London?

Have you already been at uni before or live in London?

I was at another university (outside of London) previously, for a few months. I don't live in London either.
Reply 5
I was at another university (outside of London) previously, for a few months. I don't live in London either.

Ah I'm in the same boat as you. Let me know if you hear anything, I might ring up the office tomorrow to find out what the current situation is.

Reply 6
Hi I'm in a similar position and I applied on the 12th. Has anyone heard anything? Is it worth phoning?
Reply 7
Original post by archer2000
Hi I'm in a similar position and I applied on the 12th. Has anyone heard anything? Is it worth phoning?

Hey man, I rang them up yesterday and they basically just told me what I already knew - that we should be hearing something by the 20th (when they open up the next waiting list). The lady said there were 500 applicants for 200 places, and they had been giving out offers since last thursday.

I only put College and Connaught as my choices too. Regretting the decision because they're probably the most popular halls :facepalm:

Are you a Londoner or previous HE?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey man, I rang them up yesterday and they basically just told me what I already knew - that we should be hearing something by the 20th (when they open up the next waiting list). The lady said there were 500 applicants for 200 places, and they had been giving out offers since last thursday.

I only put College and Connaught as my choices too. Regretting the decision because they're probably the most popular halls :facepalm:

Are you a Londoner or previous HE?

When I phoned up a few weeks ago, I asked if previous higher education outside London is taken into account with the selection process. They said that it wasn't taken into consideration, (only one person's word, mind you).
Reply 9
When I phoned up a few weeks ago, I asked if previous higher education outside London is taken into account with the selection process. They said that it wasn't taken into consideration, (only one person's word, mind you).

That would be great news if true, because KCL treat previous HE like you've served a jail sentence :rolleyes:

But they do ask if you've stayed in uni before on the form? But they don't mention it in their selection criteria either:

assessing the student’s individual need and the particular type of room available:
a. The ratio of men to women across the eight Intercollegiate Halls should conform to the ratio
within the University.
b. The balance of students from the various Colleges and Institutes across the University.
c. The number of students new to the University should be at least 75% of the total Hall
population.
d. The number of postgraduates should reflect their number in the University as a whole.
e. No student may spend more than two years in Hall accommodation except in very special
circumstances.

I'm hoping the second point acts in our favour because if a lot of UCL and LSE students apply for intercollegiate halls (since their unis are central) then they'll have to balance the rest of the places out to KCL students, since the majority of them go for KCL accom instead :dontknow:
That would be great news if true, because KCL treat previous HE like you've served a jail sentence :rolleyes:

Indeed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys have faith, I finally got offered a room at College.

It might be worth ringing their office today because they told me I was next on the waiting list when I called. I also told them I was planning on moving down to London tomorrow so if there was any way they could let me know by today then I could move in by tomorrow. They said they couldn't guarantee anything but maybe that helped..

All the best, let me me know how it goes.
Hey guys have faith, I finally got offered a room at College.

It might be worth ringing their office today because they told me I was next on the waiting list when I called. I also told them I was planning on moving down to London tomorrow so if there was any way they could let me know by today then I could move in by tomorrow. They said they couldn't guarantee anything but maybe that helped..

All the best, let me me know how it goes.

Nice one, do you live in the UK or are you an international student?
Nice one, do you live in the UK or are you an international student?

UK, but I live in the north-east so I'm quite far out from London. Maybe that put me higher up in the list.

Those who applied on the 12th should definitely hear something this week according to the office.
UK, but I live in the north-east so I'm quite far out from London. Maybe that put me higher up in the list.

Those who applied on the 12th should definitely hear something this week according to the office.

I heard today and got offered a place at Connaught Hall.
I heard today and got offered a place at Connaught Hall.

Hey buddy that's brilliant news, chuffed for you :smile:

When you moving in?
Hey buddy that's brilliant news, chuffed for you :smile:

When you moving in?

Probably the end of next week. Have you already moved in? How is College Hall?
Probably the end of next week. Have you already moved in? How is College Hall?

Yeah, a few days ago. It's really nice, and I couldn't have asked for a better location. You will love it :smile:
The woman I spoke to said because I have a London address means I am considered much lower priority. It would still take me 50 mins to commute though! And I have extenuating circumstances, as to why I need halls. Has anyone else applied for intercollegiate halls with a "london" address? I live in north london so it's still quite a way from kcl
anyone in the same situation this year?

hoping to get a place by october

Quick Reply

Latest