The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Philosophy of Religion & Ethics June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SCheng
We haven't been taught Ethical Language lol So I couldn't help you there :confused:

We've just been taught Religious Ex, Ontological, Life after Death, Religious Lang, Ethical Theory, and Justice, Law and Punishment. There's no way i'm going to revise all of that considering we only have to do three questions :colondollar:

Ps. Do you have any Developments papers you could send me? I've only got June 2010 + 2011, and when i've searched online the older Development papers seem to have a different mark scheme/question format.

Okay, no worries then. We weren't taught it really (only in as much as it comes into Ayer & Donovan for Implications) but I looked at the text book, saw it didn't cover many pages so thought it might be an easy topic to revise. We've been taught RE, Ontological, Atheism, RL, Ethical Theory plus kind of Ethical Lang.

Well, the mark scheme and paper layout changed in 2010 to the way it currently is so I can't help you there. I have all the papers since about 2007 but they're a little bit different before 2010 - AO1 & 2 aren't two seperate questions is the main thing. If I run out of questions to do, I'm just gonna do some of the earlier ones as though they were written for the new mark scheme. I can send you them if you like but they'll be the ones you saw online :smile:

Regarding Atheism in Developments, I'm kind of wary of this one because it hasn't come up in its own question yet, but its theoretically in the same box as RE and Ontological. The June 2011 Ontological questions makes reference to Atheism and I think the specific mark scheme suggested that answers might use some Atheism stuff (Durkheim and Marx etc). Atheism is one of the reasons I'm revising Ethical theory - if there's a heavily Atheism question and no question on RE or RE/Atheism I would perhaps do an ethical theory. The good thing about ET is that depending on whether critiques of morality and religion comes up there can be 2 questions just on ET. Like you I'd probably do Deontology (which is basically just Kant?) if I go the choice but I'm not revising M&R so it'd have to be pure Deontology.

What do you need in this exam? I only need a C overall at A2 to get the grade I need but I want to do better in Developments cause I don't trust myself with Implications haha
Reply 21
Original post by savvy100
Hi guys - can i ask for the may 31st exam are you planning on doing 1 philosophy or 2 philopsophy questions?
I seem to be the only one in my class to be doing 2 ethics questions :/. Last year it was a pretty much certain that i would get an A in philosophy and ethics but this year im starting to get a bit nervous about it...the anthology is really worrying me. Anyone else have the same concerns? i dont feel like my teacher has taught us HOW to answer correctly.
Philosophy and Ethics is pretty much my strongest subject so really hoping on a good grade (also the may 31st exam is on my birthday :/ ) but yeah hope you guys are finding revision easy :smile:

Well, depends what comes up in the first philosophy box - I want a pure RE question and would definately switch to two ethics if there was a pure Atheism question. Definately doing Religious and ethical language then ethical theory and religious experience as back ups.

I've got exactly that feeling! I have no idea how to write the implications essay - when I got my AS resits in philosophy results in March I was sure I was going to get an A but now I'm not sure. I am so confused about implications and how to write the essays - Developments should be okay, revision is okay and the exam is very similar to foundations I spose. Good luck :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by 12lightf

What do you need in this exam? I only need a C overall at A2 to get the grade I need but I want to do better in Developments cause I don't trust myself with Implications haha

Overall I really want an A*, but i'm aware that i'm being quite ambitious :s-smilie:

I've got an A in Philosophy so far 97/100 in Unit 1, and 82/100 in Unit 2. I originally only got a mid B (75/100) in Unit 1, which dragged my overall grade down, which is my i resat the exam in January. I think for me to get an A overall i could get low Bs, but like everyone else i would like to get 90+ in both units :colondollar:

I've firmed Sheffield Uni to do English lit and Philosophy, so i really need to get an A haha. What grades did you get in other units?
Reply 23
Original post by SCheng
Overall I really want an A*, but i'm aware that i'm being quite ambitious :s-smilie:

I've got an A in Philosophy so far 97/100 in Unit 1, and 82/100 in Unit 2. I originally only got a mid B (75/100) in Unit 1, which dragged my overall grade down, which is my i resat the exam in January. I think for me to get an A overall i could get low Bs, but like everyone else i would like to get 90+ in both units :colondollar:

I've firmed Sheffield Uni to do English lit and Philosophy, so i really need to get an A haha. What grades did you get in other units?

Well I would be ecstatic with an A just to meet my offer. After 3 attempts at Unit 1 and 2 at Unit 2 I now have full marks in both so only need low Cs in both Units 3 & 4 so would be so happy with just my 3 As that I need to meet my offer..
Reply 24
It worries me that everyone is talking about Donovan and Ayer for the implications paper... My class is doing texts by Lafollete, Schneewind and Jamieson. Is anyone else doing texts from these three? I and my whole class are so stuck! We literally have no idea how to write the essay for it. We did a timed essay in class, we haven't got them back yet, but I spent the whole time literally just rewording the text ha! Our teachers arent even too sure how to teach us it! We're all fine on developments, it's just implications ahhh!!! How's everyone else finding it? Any tips? haha
Reply 25
Well I would be ecstatic with an A just to meet my offer. After 3 attempts at Unit 1 and 2 at Unit 2 I now have full marks in both so only need low Cs in both Units 3 & 4 so would be so happy with just my 3 As that I need to meet my offer..

Wow full marks in both, i wish i was able to get full marks in something lol If you don't mind me asking where are you going for uni/what are you doing?
Reply 26
Original post by TalieAnn
It worries me that everyone is talking about Donovan and Ayer for the implications paper... My class is doing texts by Lafollete, Schneewind and Jamieson. Is anyone else doing texts from these three? I and my whole class are so stuck! We literally have no idea how to write the essay for it. We did a timed essay in class, we haven't got them back yet, but I spent the whole time literally just rewording the text ha! Our teachers arent even too sure how to teach us it! We're all fine on developments, it's just implications ahhh!!! How's everyone else finding it? Any tips? haha

You must be doing a different implications paper, because the Donovan, Ayer and Westphal articles come under the Philosophy of Religion. For that reason i don't think i could help you sorry. It is quite unusual why your school has chosen those articles.
Reply 27

Is that the ethics one? I think most people do philosophy of religion - afraid I can't help you there
Reply 28
Original post by SCheng
Wow full marks in both, i wish i was able to get full marks in something lol If you don't mind me asking where are you going for uni/what are you doing?

Haha, thanks. I don't really have any particular aptitude for the subject - I took 3 attempts at Foundations and 2 at Investigations before I had full marks. Before I only had a mid-B.

All being well, provided I get an A in either Philosophy or Spanish I'm hopefully going to Oxford to do History. Fingers very very crossed haha
Can someone please let me know exactly what I have to know for;
1) Ethical Language?
2) Religious Language?
Reply 30
Original post by headbands,
Can someone please let me know exactly what I have to know for;
1) Ethical Language?
2) Religious Language?

1) Some problems of Ethical Language. 2 is a good number - metaethical problems of defining 'good' and 'right' etc and secondly the Naturalistic Fallacy, Is-Ought Problem, differences between Descriptive and Prescriptive Language. In an essay you can outline these, then talk about how Intuitionism (GE Moore) and Emotivism (AJ Ayer) would deal with these problems.

2. Types of RL - Analogy, Myth & Symbolism, Via Negativa, Equivocal and Univocal Language. Some approaches to RL like Verificationism (Verification and Falsification Principles) and Language Game Theory.
1) Some problems of Ethical Language. 2 is a good number - metaethical problems of defining 'good' and 'right' etc and secondly the Naturalistic Fallacy, Is-Ought Problem, differences between Descriptive and Prescriptive Language. In an essay you can outline these, then talk about how Intuitionism (GE Moore) and Emotivism (AJ Ayer) would deal with these problems.

2. Types of RL - Analogy, Myth & Symbolism, Via Negativa, Equivocal and Univocal Language. Some approaches to RL like Verificationism (Verification and Falsification Principles) and Language Game Theory.

thanks for this, better get revising it, haven't touched either topic :s-smilie:
What are you learning for the actual exam?
Reply 32
thanks for this, better get revising it, haven't touched either topic :s-smilie:
What are you learning for the actual exam?

No worries. :smile: I'm learning EL, RL, Religious Experience and Atheism. I have ethical theory as a kind of back up if I want to avoid one of the other three questions.
No worries. :smile: I'm learning EL, RL, Religious Experience and Atheism. I have ethical theory as a kind of back up if I want to avoid one of the other three questions.

:O :O :O is that all?! i think I might be panicking then!
So far I have learnt
-Religious experience
- Ontological argument (but i hate this topic so I really don't want to do it haha
- Virtue ethics
-Natural Moral Law
- Little bit of Kant

I don't want to revise all the topics, but I'm worried in case they mix things together with ao1 and ao2 :frown:

No sorry our class have been doing;
- Ayer
- Westphal
- Donovan
:s-smilie:
are you doing Edexcel?
Reply 35
:O :O :O is that all?! i think I might be panicking then!
So far I have learnt
-Religious experience
- Ontological argument (but i hate this topic so I really don't want to do it haha
- Virtue ethics
-Natural Moral Law
- Little bit of Kant

I don't want to revise all the topics, but I'm worried in case they mix things together with ao1 and ao2 :frown:

Nah, we've done virtually the same. Ethical Theory encompasses Virtue Ethics, NML and Kantian Deontology. You can plan what to revise by familiarising yourself with the option blocks. Block one is Ontological Arg, Religious Experience and Atheism. Because there's two questions you'll only ever have to learn 2/3. Similarly with block two, there's only RL and Life After Death which can only ever have a question on each (probably fair because both are pretty big).

In terms of ethics, because Ethical Theory is so massive that it often gets both questions to itself in Ethics block 1, sometimes with Morality and Religion thrown in. Block two has Justice, Law and Punishment, Objectivity and Subjectivity (tho i'm never sure if this is its own subject or part of Justice, Law and Punishment) and Ethical Language which always seem to get its own question.

Ergo, with RE, Atheism, RL and EL you'd have it covered. I threw in Ethical Theory in case they do something unforeseen with another question :smile:
Reply 36
Anyone else doing

Religious Experience
Ontological Argument
Atheism
Religious language (verification,falsification,analogy,myth,symbol,language games)

Virtue ethics
natural moral law
the relationship between religion and morality
deontology

????
Reply 37
Nah, we've done virtually the same. Ethical Theory encompasses Virtue Ethics, NML and Kantian Deontology. You can plan what to revise by familiarising yourself with the option blocks. Block one is Ontological Arg, Religious Experience and Atheism. Because there's two questions you'll only ever have to learn 2/3. Similarly with block two, there's only RL and Life After Death which can only ever have a question on each (probably fair because both are pretty big).

In terms of ethics, because Ethical Theory is so massive that it often gets both questions to itself in Ethics block 1, sometimes with Morality and Religion thrown in. Block two has Justice, Law and Punishment, Objectivity and Subjectivity (tho i'm never sure if this is its own subject or part of Justice, Law and Punishment) and Ethical Language which always seem to get its own question.

Ergo, with RE, Atheism, RL and EL you'd have it covered. I threw in Ethical Theory in case they do something unforeseen with another question :smile:

What's ethical theory??

And can you explain about ethics block 1 ?? :smile: x
Reply 38
Original post by Sadsnail
What's ethical theory??

And can you explain about ethics block 1 ?? :smile: x

Ethical theory is Virtue Ethics, Kantian Deontology & Natural Moral Law. In the textbooks they are lumped together as Ethical Theory :smile: Ethics Block 1 consists of Ethical Theory with Critiques of the Link Between Morality and Religion sometimes in one of the questions. However, because ethical theory is so massive it sometimes is the only component of both Block 1 questions :smile:
Reply 39
Ethical theory is Virtue Ethics, Kantian Deontology & Natural Moral Law. In the textbooks they are lumped together as Ethical Theory :smile: Ethics Block 1 consists of Ethical Theory with Critiques of the Link Between Morality and Religion sometimes in one of the questions. However, because ethical theory is so massive it sometimes is the only component of both Block 1 questions :smile:

Oh okay cool! We haven't called it ethical theory and we don't use a textbook :tongue: haha That's why I got confused. Do you think you can get away with not learning religion + morality???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending