The Student Room Group

Primark Jewellery: good or tacky?

Is it good or tacky. I want lots of new fashion jewellery.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good.
I've found it's very good for the odd thing. But it is, fashion jewellery at it's best, you won't be able to wear it everyday as with the items I have had have broken/dis-coloured.

If you have sensitive skin i'd recommend you stay away from metal items :smile:

Go in and have a look, I often pick up the odd nice thing!
Reply 3
I love it! the earrings are great as you can buy several pairs for like £1 :biggrin: The wee scarves with wire in them are awesome for your hair also, really summery :cool:
Pretty good.
Reply 5
for something cheap and cheerful theyre fine :smile:
Reply 6
I didn't know that there was man's jewelry sold in Primark.
Reply 7
Arggh dont buy hoop earrings from there! They never last! I usually by my Jewellery from there, but I don't wear it all often because its cheap and will break easily from everyday use.
Reply 8
Accesorise the right way and it can look really amazing - we love a bit of Primarni!!
Reply 9
Hmm... depends, I have bought the odd ring from there but like every other inexpensive piece it turns your fingers green after a while, a tip is to coat it with clear nail varnish, then you wont stain your skin. Style wise, some things can be okay but a lot of the time I just see hideous coloured bangles.
I wouldn't dismiss its entire jewellery brand as 'tacky', however it is cheap and its quality may not be great. They do have some very cheap pieces in there, so you could be able to find something that is quite nice to go with your outfits. Just don't expect it to last very long, if that's your intention you are better off going some place else.

As others have said, it should be fine if you're after something for a bit of fun. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by politics_student
I wouldn't dismiss its entire jewellery brand as 'tacky', however it is cheap and its quality may not be great. They do have some very cheap pieces in there, so you could be able to find something that is quite nice to go with your outfits. Just don't expect it to last very long, if that's your intention you are better off going some place else.

As others have said, it should be fine if you're after something for a bit of fun. :smile:

how long does the jewelery usually last for?
Reply 12
some good, some very tacky...
the jewellery that has been copied from topshop's/and other retail stores are nice but the ones they design themselves are ooorgly.
Reply 13
Doesn't last that long but fr the prices you can;t complain. Also they update the range really often so I would just buy some pieces and keep them for a while before wearing them as after 6 months or so others unlikely to still be wearing them
Original post by cl_steele
for something cheap and cheerful, they're fine :smile:

this :yy:
Original post by 99luft Balons

I'm not sure, I've never bought anything from there. Some people I know have said a couple of months then the piece leaves an odd colour on their skin. It may not be the case for everyone, but it wouldn't surprise me as you're getting what you pay for.
I wouold say that the earrings are probably rubbish-you can tell they're bad quality. However, I think their bracelets and necklaces are nice and are value for money.
It's mostly crap that looks horrible and falls apart but you find the odd thing now and again that's pretty good (same with the clothes really). I one found an awesome necklace but it fell apart after 2 months :frown:
Original post by 99luft Balons

Until it tarnishes. This really depends on how much you sweat, which will most likely depend on what season it is. Also, how much effort you go to to make sure it doesn't get wet. I've found costume jewellery in the summer is a no go, and won't last longer than 2 or 3 wears, especially if it's a ring or a necklace.

Bracelets and earrings can be worn for longer, especially earrings, because of the fact you don't sweat (as much) there. I've never had a piece of Primark jewellery break, and over all I'd say they're good for the price.

The stuff will look somewhat tacky in the shop because of the way it's been displayed, and whilst they do have a fair amount of tacky items (the huge coloured plastic hoop earrings they seem to sell in packs of varying sizes come to mind), they have so much choice that you'll most likely find something you like.

It's not worth paying more than Primark prices for costume jewellery tbh. Places like Accessorize are overpriced. (I remember buying a long necklace there for £12 once, and it tarnished after the 2nd wear). It's better to spend money on good quality quality, and save on fashion jewellery.
Original post by politics_student
I'm not sure, I've never bought anything from there. Some people I know have said a couple of months then the piece leaves an odd colour on their skin. It may not be the case for everyone, but it wouldn't surprise me as you're getting what you pay for.

All costume jewellery does this when it reacts with liquids (mostly likely caused by sweat, but can be perfume or water).
On the rare occassions I visit a department store, it always makes me laugh when I see the oxymoronic 'designer' costume jewellery. £120 for a bracelet that will tarnish after a few wears? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest