The Student Room Group

Why is Babar Ahmed being extradited to the US?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Gokul1
Oh and the only reason he has been detained 8 years was because he kept appealing against rulings to extradite him. If the man really was actively involved in the promotion of terror whats to stop him committing an act of terror if he is bailed?

If the US wasn't trying to extradite him, he would be a free man now - the UK courts have not found him guilty, so that's why you shouldn't think if freed he'd commit a terrorist attack - because he is innocent until proven guilty.
Original post by nosaer
I know, its the treaty that everyone is claiming is completely ridiculous and unfair. Its a one way system where by they can request our citizens with no evidence but we cant reciprocate. Tell me how that isn't putting America before us?

According to the official review contucted by Sir Scott Baker "there is no substantial difference in evidence standards, that the treaty is balanced and that there is not "any basis to conclude that extradition from the United Kingdom to the US operates unfairly or oppressively"

We have to provide probable cause if we want someone extradited, the US has to provide reasonable suspicion, according to the review done in 2011 there is no significant difference between the two and both require almost exactly the same amount of information submitted to request an extradition.

If you want to argue sending citizens to the US without a submission of evidence is wrong, fair enough, tbh i tend to agree but i don't agree the US has an easier time getting people from the UK than we do of getting people from the US. (in regards to this treaty that is, generally our membership in the EU does make it harder for the US to get someone over but thats not really related to the extradition treaty)

It is the extradition treaty that everyone is claiming is the thing wrong here, not whether or not this case falls under it or not. Its an inherently unfair and messed up treaty and simply because it has been enacted, does not mean it can't or shouldn't change or that it is right and just.

And it is one-sided. The reason America haven't received a request in kind from us is because we cant do that:

So in this system, the Americans can extradite any British citizen they want without showing evidence. We cannot do the same because the US values its sovereignty and will not allow its citizens to be treated this way.

Do you still think its fair? Do you still agree with it?

We don't have to show evidence, they need to provide reasonable suspicion and we need to provide probable cause. In this instance the two terms require almost identical information and neither require any hard evidence.

I don't agree with sending people to the US without any prima facie evidence, I've wrote numerous letters to my MP about the Gary McKinnon case and how ridiculous it is the US are claiming he intentionally sought to steal their secrets and we basically have to take their word for it. However i don't view the treaty as some kind of American inspired political dominance, i disagree with the terms of the treaty for both sides as neither require prima facie evidence which in my eyes is putting to much trust in a country that although we are friends with has lied to us before and constantly seems to disregard some human rights when their feelings are hurt although never openly towards a British citizen.

I see absolutely no evidence that this treaty is one sided or the the US is abusing it, i agree the treaty is flawed and will eventually lead to some serious tensions between the UK and US so revising it now so each must provide preliminary evidence with an extradition request is a much better option. Unfortunately i don't think my MP cares since i have yet to even receive an automated template response.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Darth Stewie
According to the official review contucted by Sir Scott Baker "there is no substantial difference in evidence standards, that the treaty is balanced and that there is not "any basis to conclude that extradition from the United Kingdom to the US operates unfairly or oppressively"

We have to provide probable cause if we want someone extradited, the US has to provide reasonable suspicion, according to the review done in 2011 there is no significant difference between the two and both require almost exactly the same amount of information submitted to request an extradition.

If you want to argue sending citizens to the US without a submission of evidence is wrong, fair enough, tbh i tend to agree but i don't agree the US has an easier time getting people from the UK than we do of getting people from the US. (in regards to this treaty that is, generally our membership in the EU does make it harder for the US to get someone over but thats not really related to the extradition treaty)

We don't have to show evidence, they need to provide reasonable suspicion and we need to provide probable cause. In this instance the two terms require almost identical information and neither require any hard evidence.

I don't agree with sending people to the US without any prima facie evidence, I've wrote numerous letters to my MP about the Gary McKinnon case and how ridiculous it is the US are claiming he intentionally sought to steal their secrets and we basically have to take their word for it. However i don't view the treaty as some kind of American inspired political dominance, i disagree with the terms of the treaty for both sides as neither require prima facie evidence which in my eyes is putting to much trust in a country that although we are friends with has lied to us before and constantly seems to disregard some human rights when their feelings are hurt although never openly towards a British citizen.

I see absolutely no evidence that this treaty is one sided or the the US is abusing it, i agree the treaty is flawed and will eventually lead to some serious tensions between the UK and US so revising it now so each must provide preliminary evidence with an extradition request is a much better option. Unfortunately i don't think my MP cares since i have yet to even receive an automated template response.

I guess for every report you find saying one thing, another says something different. Without getting into the details of who to believe, its clear the case isn't clear-cut and I'm not the only one who thinks the treaty is not fair.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9101464/Home-Office-accused-of-cover-up-on-extradition-evidence.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9175480/US-extradition-treaty-is-one-sided-and-must-be-amended.html

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/us-extradition-treaty-one-sided-mps-report
Reply 63
Original post by nosaer
It means he isn't a self-proclaimed terrorist.

That's the point: he should be tried in this country were he alledgedly collect the info, not in the US. .
The agreement between UK and US provides, on a reciprocal basis, for extradition of respective citizens

agreements have to be either executed, or modified (by mutual consensus) or terminated (with the advance notice provided for in the agreement itself)

that's all
Reply 64
Original post by Phantom_X
1. Ive already said that there isn't actually ample evidence that he posessed the information, just that the information had been logged onto a server connected to a website concentrated in the UK- that is the crux. Is it right to prosecute someone in a court for information they dont actually have?

2. Many websites promote terrorism- stormfront for example, could be said to promote terrorism. Or websites that hold copies of the anarchists cookbook. Why arent they being prosecuted?

As I said before, he'll have a chance to say he knew nothing of the information in court. The fact is that sensitive US information was compromised and passed to somebody connected to the website. The US believe they have enough evidence to accuse babar. Yes that does not mean it definitely was him, but let them make their case in court and he can defend himself. The alleged crime is specifically against the US. Running an extremist website is obviously bad, but not to the same degree as obtaining information about military targets. If these targets were british i'd want him tried here.

Sites like stormfront are probably heavily monitored by the fbi and in any case i don't think they promote armed struggle to the same extent as islamic extremist sites. If you have preachers such as Abu Hamza promoting attacks, you have suicide bombings on the london underground, planes being flown into buildings etc by Islamic extremists, then it's understandable that special attention would be paid to the type of website this guy ran. After the oklahoma bombing i'm sure right wing websites were targeted.
Reply 65
Original post by nosaer
I'm not the only one who thinks the treaty is not fair.
the agreement can be criticized, but it is in force

as I said, it can be modified (by consensus), or terminated (as provided for by the agreement itself)
Reply 66
Original post by mariachi
the agreement can be criticized, but it is in force

as I said, it can be modified (by consensus), or terminated (as provided for by the agreement itself)

Thank you for stating the obvious. Clearly, any further critical discussion is beyond you.
Reply 67
Original post by Phantom_X
1. no evidence he is a 'terrorist'. There is evidence he had jihadist sympathies- but then again, should people be extradited for what they believe? Many people in this country sympathise with neo-nazi groups who endorse violence- should they be treated in the same way?

2. he is wanted by the US because a server linked to his website was located in the US- which was purely incidental.

As far as I'm concerned, lock up anyone with violent extremist religious or political views, they pose to much danger to the general public.

Should have thought about that before they started with their backward beliefs.
Reply 68
Original post by nosaer
the Americans can extradite any British citizen they want without showing evidence. We cannot do the same because the US values its sovereignty and will not allow its citizens to be treated this way.
This is not true.

In order to obtain extradition, the US have to show "reasonable suspicion", and the UK has to show "probable cause". Neither has to show "prima facie evidence".

"Reasonable suspicion" is considered as being less than "probable cause", and this is the reason why some accuse the treaty of being unbalanced.

Nothing to do with evidence.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by nosaer
Thank you for stating the obvious. Clearly, any further critical discussion is beyond you.
uselessly offensive

sad, sad
Reply 70
This is not true.

In order to obtain extradition, the US have to show "reasonable suspicion", and the UK has to show "probable cause". Neither has to show "prima facie evidence".

But the two are not the same. Whilst neither have to show any prima facie evidence, the US requirement of probable cause is less stringent what demand of them.

Also, Americans the UK are extraditing here can challenge the material against them, but British citizens are not allowed to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KMkIubsJJ98#!

(Watch from 2:04)

So why don't you give us your opinion on this rather than regurgitating the obvious?

Is it right to extradite someone without prima facie evidence at the very least?

And in light of the above video, do you still think the treaty is totally equal on both sides?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Eight years held in prison without trial. Shame on you, Britain.
Reply 72
Better still, why extradite him to the US? Send him to Afghanistan and be done with it!!
Reply 73
Original post by Chloe xxx
Better still, why extradite him to the US? Send him to Afghanistan and be done with it!!

You may as well just put a bullet in his head then? :rolleyes:
Original post by Chloe xxx

You have no clue about this case. It's easy to write off a Muslim "terrorist" -- that word is like 'rape', few seem to care whether it's true or not and the mere accusation means you lose all public support. I guess that's why politicians and media use the word. He's a British citizen and has rights. There is no evidence of wrong doing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by nosaer
why don't you give us your opinion on this rather than regurgitating the obvious?
because we already have people, such as yourself, who are spouting judgements on the case without having the necessary detailed knowledge

best
Reply 76
because we already have people, such as yourself, who are spouting judgements on the case without having the necessary detailed knowledge

best

That's fantastic, but I didn't ask for your judgement on the case, I asked if you had an opinion on the extradition treaty in general?
Reply 77
Original post by silent ninja
You have no clue about this case. It's easy to write off a Muslim "terrorist" -- that word is like 'rape', few seem to care whether it's true or not and the mere accusation means you lose all public support. I guess that's why politicians and media use the word. He's a British citizen and has rights. There is no evidence of wrong doing.

I havnt read about it. Whether hes a British Citizen or not, hes taking the piss out of the country having jihadist views anyway.

Good riddance IMO, let the US add even more to the scummy folk in jails over there.
Original post by Bonged.
To who? Him or the public? Throw him in the ****ing sea for all I care. Tired of people worrying about the "rights" that scum have.

you ******* he done nothing wrong open your pork fed eyes.
Reply 79
Original post by nosaer
You may as well just put a bullet in his head then? :rolleyes:

Dont be silly, if he has jihadist views he'll be happier there. Or send him to Saudi Arabia, he'll be fine there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending