The Student Room Group

At what age did you stop asking your parents

Scroll to see replies

First of all, I am so jealous that you're going :frown: aha.

Personally, I don't see the big problem if you're willing to pay for it all yourself. I probably would have run it past him to check for date clashes (just in case)...

All this talk of 'respect' is interesting. In my household, no one would get their knickers in a twist if somebody didn't ask permission to go to a festival at the age of 18. Then again, I suppose it's different strokes for different folks.
I don't ask for permission I say I am going to do something on date X (I usually mention it the night before) and then I ask for a lift.
Original post by zoeaw
Obviously none of you have an asian parent.

:lol: Nor do they have asian values :tongue: Half of these people think it's acceptable to swear at their parents (not on this specific thread)
Reply 63
I think after you turn 14, I fail to see how it's any business of your parents what you choose to do at the weekends.

But at 17? :lolwut: What business is it of your parents? They sound like obsessive control freaks.

Just ignore them and do what you want, what's the worst they can do?
Reply 64
Original post by Stefan1991
I think after you turn 14, I fail to see how it's any business of your parents what you choose to do at the weekends.

But at 17? :lolwut: What business is it of your parents? They sound like obsessive control freaks.

Just ignore them and do what you want, what's the worst they can do?

Seeing as I live with them and they provide a lot for me, that could't go down too well and it's just rude
Reply 65
Original post by zoeaw

HAHA! :p:p
Reply 66
Original post by TurboCretin
Assuming you're right, asserting your position and backing it up with an argument probably won't help. You don't exactly have an equal bargaining position, and if he's angry because you've simply assumed that he'll fall into line with your schedule then playing hardball is not a good idea. You want to grab an ice cold beer, apologise for jumping the gun and ask him for his view on the situation. Don't push the issue of your attendance, and when he seems like he's winding down offer not to go, and to sell your ticket on to someone else. If he's reasonable, he should at this point say no, at which point everyone's happy.

Well... It worked for me! I asserted my position and backed it up with several arguements and I WON!

READING FESTIVAL 2012 HERE I COME!!
Reply 67
Just wanna say thanks for all your help and opinions...

BRING ON READING FESTIVAL 2012!!
Late 16 - this was also Reading Festival! For me it was sort of lucky in a way because I have a late birthday and my parents generally take the approach that what my friends can do I can do, so I could do things at a younger age than a lot of my friends could. I think when your a teenager a year makes a big difference.

This year I told my parents I was going to a festival and on holiday; I took the approach that because I'm paying for it myself, it's OK, and they're fine with it, which is nice because they were often quite protective when I was young.
Reply 69
Original post by zoeaw

LOL that's what I'm thinking.

Insert asian with black though in my case.
Reply 70
Original post by YB101
If you could do this or do that, ranging from the little things such as "can I go to the cinema" to "I'm going on holiday" or "I'm going to *insert big festival here*

I ask because I'm in a bit of a predicament

Last summer, when I was 17, I wanted to go to Reading Festival with my best friends. I've always loved the thought of them! At first it was a straight no from my dad (mums easier to persuade), but after a little bit of negotiation (and a cheeky lie), he said yes, HE EVEN PAID FOR MY TICKET AND TRANSPORT!

I had a blast, and said to myself i'd definitely go again with my best friend who couldn't go. Booked my ticket for 2012 and the other day I went to ask my dad if we had any holiday plan. I told him not to book anything on the weekend of the festival and he went balistic, telliing me i'm not going this year.

My genuine facial expresion = :eek::s-smilie::eek::s-smilie::eek:
It just doesn't make sense that he'd let me go out 17 but is so against the idea at 18 when technically i should be able to make decisions for myself.

Should I try and negotiate again or straight up tell him i'm going, baring in mind I leave home for uni 2 weeks later?
And at what age did you stop asking your parents for permission to do certain things?

Help me out please guys!

Im also 18 and starting uni in september... for small things such as going out with mates and stuff i just tell my parents im going...but for bigger stuff such as festivals, i check with them first incase it clashes with family plans ect.
Original post by YB101
HAHA WHAT? What on earth makes you think that? I'm actually very good with alcohol.

Ah what I mean is there's stuff all over the news with alcohol and festivals etc, so I doubt they would know what you are like at parties and things. They might think you are like what they see in the news etc. They were probably ok last year, knowing that you wouldn't be able to get served at 17.
Reply 72
Original post by natty_d
LOL that's what I'm thinking.

Insert asian with black though in my case.

My parents are black, a lot of people are suprised that I "get away" with a lot of things right now, even though I don't believe anything I do is bad or wrong in anyway.

To be more specific, they are Nigerian
Original post by Iron Lady
You seem like an absolute delight.

Huh? What's wrong with telling your parents where you're going before you leave?
Reply 74
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Ah what I mean is there's stuff all over the news with alcohol and festivals etc, so I doubt they would know what you are like at parties and things. They might think you are like what they see in the news etc. They were probably ok last year, knowing that you wouldn't be able to get served at 17.

Ohhh I see! Too be fair I think everyone has to deal with it in order to learn how to drink and how not to drink. What I mean is, if you have one bad night (unfortunately i've had to many), you learn from your mistakes. That's what i've done and I now know that i'm never mixing cider this year -.-
Quite shocked at this thread haha I'm 18 and I still ask more so just to be on the safe side the parents are always 'You're 18 you don't need to ask! Just let us know!' But I think its more force of habit.
Reply 76
First world problems..
I don't ask if I can do something, I just say I'm going to do something and ask if they're cool with it. They're not strict at all so I can basically do whatever I like but I think it's courteous to ask if they're ok with it first. No point getting on their nerves.
If I was paying for it, I generally wouldn't ask.
It's utterly dependent on whether I'm paying or not. If I'm paying for a gig, then I'll say "I'm going" , if I'm asking for a loan ( as in I'll give you back the money when I have it but the tickets are going now) or money then well, I ask :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending