The Student Room Group

Girls: Pole Dancing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by New...Romantic
No, everyone has not agreed. I'm amazed that anyone can actually believe this, especially when you're throwing the word 'ignorant' around to try to describe other people. Please tell me the similarities between stripping and practising moves fully dressed in a studio, other than the fact that one similar piece of equipment may be involved.

As for type of venue, ours was in a private function suite. The outfits were functional, not revealing. In fact for one routine the girls dressed like the 118 men! And the type of people watching? Their friends and family? How awful.

The OP actually asked if she should join a uni pole society, not if she should get a job dancing for men... Stop being so dramatic.

Read back over page 6. Even people that had previously been disagreeing all actually admitted that yes, I was basically right, pole dancing is still intrinsically sexually charged by its very nature.

For the 15th time, just because you do it differently in practice does not change the fundamental nature of the activity. I sometimes practice cricket against a bowling machine, not a real bowler, but its still cricket.

Sometimes pole dancers practice in a gym rather than going all the way to the strip club. So the **** what? Its still pole dancing, an activity designed specifically by strip club owners to showcase the flexibility and nubility of their strippers.
Original post by goape
Sounds awkward.

That's the point I'm trying to make, it isn't awkward. The girls aren't uncomfortable performing in front of family and their family aren't uncomfortable watching because they aren't trying to be sexy. It's like a dance routine, nobody would expect that to be awkward with family watching.

Original post by zara55
Why would anyone be learning pole dancing as if it's some kind of abstract dance form without that, or something like it, in mind? It's pretty obvious what pole dancing societies are about. The industry probably paid to help get them set up originally.

You're being even more ridiculous now. Because it's fun and you can start from any level and background and still be able to do moves reasonably well (unlike a lot of gymnastics and dance). Why do people do zumba or kickboxing or anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by zara55
Why would anyone be learning pole dancing as if it's some kind of abstract dance form without that, or something like it, in mind? It's pretty obvious what pole dancing societies are about. The industry probably paid to help get them set up originally.

The pole dancing society at my last uni was sponsored by the strip club, and the lessons were done with professional strippers.

Again, I don't see anything wrong with this. If you want to make a bit of cash as a stripper, more power to you. I just don't like these pathetic girls who think there is some huge moral divide between what they do (pole dancing) and what strippers do (also pole dancing, but in marginally skimpier outfits).
Reply 143
New...Romantic
That's the point I'm trying to make, it isn't awkward. The girls aren't uncomfortable performing in front of family and their family aren't uncomfortable watching because they aren't trying to be sexy. It's like a dance routine, nobody would expect that to be awkward with family watching.

pole.jpg

HI Gran! Can you see what I had for breakfast?
Original post by py0alb
Read back over page 6. Even people that had previously been disagreeing all actually admitted that yes, I was basically right, pole dancing is still intrinsically sexually charged by its very nature.

For the 15th time, just because you do it differently in practice does not change the fundamental nature of the activity. I sometimes practice cricket against a bowling machine, not a real bowler, but its still cricket.

Sometimes pole dancers practice in a gym rather than going all the way to the strip club. So the **** what? Its still pole dancing, an activity designed specifically by strip club owners to showcase the flexibility and nubility of their strippers.

Well I disagree that it's a 'slightly more athletic form of stripping'. Once again you've ignored valid points of someone's post so I'll repeat. Please tell me the similarities between stripping and practising moves fully dressed in a studio, other than the fact that one similar piece of equipment may be involved. Okay, the fact they may have both originated in strip clubs is one, do you have any more? Even then I'm not convinced, I'm going back to the chinese pole thing. I don't know how pole dancing originated but Wikipedia says it may have been in the circus. Do you know better?

Original post by py0alb
The pole dancing society at my last uni was sponsored by the strip club, and the lessons were done with professional strippers.

Again, I don't see anything wrong with this. If you want to make a bit of cash as a stripper, more power to you. I just don't like these pathetic girls who think there is some huge moral divide between what they do (pole dancing) and what strippers do (also pole dancing, but in marginally skimpier outfits).

As for this, I'm not making a moral judgement but you only have to watch some videos to see that stripper pole dancing and competitive pole dancing are really different. I have nothing against strippers but the routines are just different.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Nah I don't believe that for one minute. If they "like turning upside down" thereare plenty of appropriate gymnastic activities that don't happen take place in nightclubs with groups of sweaty men watching you do the horizontal splits in tight/non-existent pants. Pole-dancing is pole-dancing - if its was pole gymnastics then it would be called pole gymnastics and it would take place in a gymnasium.

You're going to tell me there's nothing inherently sexual about lap-dancing next and its actually just "lap gymnastics".

Pole dancing doesn't always take place in a club in front of "sweaty men", it is a fitness activity that is great for working different muscle groups. There is nothing sexual about it unless the context, such as a strip club, makes it sexual. People do it in their bathrooms for goodness sake.

Gymnastics with parallel bars? That's fine. Vertical pole? Aw we can't have that it makes you a slut! :rolleyes:

If you don't know about the topic you're criticising people for, don't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Pole dancing doesn't always take place in a club in front of "sweaty men", it is a fitness activity that is great for working different muscle groups. There is nothing sexual about it unless the context, such as a strip club, makes it sexual. People do it in their bathrooms for goodness sake.

Gymnastics with parallel bars? That's fine. Vertical pole? Aw we can't have that it makes you a slut! :rolleyes:

If you don't know about the topic you're criticising people for, don't.

I did gymnastics for a while before uni and the uneven bars (which are the only similiar apparatus female gymnasts have to the pole) are kind of different to the pole in that we did stuff like turning handstands and switching between bars. so there's more jumping and leaping involved as opposed to twisting and turning around a pole which does seem a bit more sexual. (Not saying that it makes you a slut obvs, it's just that the nature of gymnastics is rather different.)

With that said however, I havent seen fitness style pole dancing, only basing my judgment on the videos posted here so what do I know. :s-smilie:
Reply 147
As for this, I'm not making a moral judgement but you only have to watch some videos to see that stripper pole dancing and competitive pole dancing are really different. I have nothing against strippers but the routines are just different.

Are you suggesting this is 'just competitive', for the fitness involved, and nothing else to it...

Reply 148
Original post by Cirsium
:confused: The friends I have who do it are all fairly serious gymnasts (competing on the national circuit) who also do things like circus acrobatics. And they seem keen on it as an extension of that - they like turning themselves upside down :p: I mean I'm sure there are poledancing societies where it's dancing around a pole... but equally there are ones where it's gymnastics with a pole, and there's nothing inherently sexual about that, no matter how it started.

Just curious, if a couple came up to you and it was the bloke who said "I've heard pole dancing is very good exercise, could you talk to my girlfriend about it?", what would you do?
Reply 149
Original post by goape
Are you suggesting this is 'just competitive', for the fitness involved, and nothing else to it...

Nothing provocative or sexually charged about that whatsoever. I'm sure most girls would be happy putting on a similar performance for their grandmother over Sunday lunch.
Original post by goape

It's a performance so yeah there is more to it than just doing the moves for fitness, it's a show. But if you compare that to the dancing you'd see in a club it just proves the point I made in that quote. Even the video posted earlier (by Cherry I think?) has a lot more stripper moves and you'll see the difference.
Reply 151
Original post by Hopple
Just curious, if a couple came up to you and it was the bloke who said "I've heard pole dancing is very good exercise, could you talk to my girlfriend about it?", what would you do?

The same thing I'd do if a couple came up to me and the bloke said 'I've heard trampolining is really good exercise. Would you talk to my girlfriend about it?" Well, apart from the bit where I'd have to tell him that I don't actually do pole myself (see earlier posts - I have lots of friends who do it, but I personally don't). I'd say yes it is, yes it's a lot of fun, are you actually interested? Lots of people drag friends or partners along to stuff they're not actually interested in :erm:
Reply 152
It's a performance so yeah there is more to it than just doing the moves for fitness, it's a show. But if you compare that to the dancing you'd see in a club it just proves the point I made in that quote. Even the video posted earlier (by Cherry I think?) has a lot more stripper moves and you'll see the difference.

It basically supports py0alb's argument. Competitive pole dancing is by definition a performance, is it not?
Original post by goape
It basically supports py0alb's argument. Competitive pole dancing is by definition a performance, is it not?

I'm struggling to remember what his argument even was tbh. The parts I mainly object to are his opinions that pole is a glorified form of stripping (yet can't give me a straight answer when I ask him to tell me how they're similar) and that girls who do it just for fun are 'deluded' and 'ignorant' because we don't agree with that opinion.

He's posted that a pole dancing society he was talking about was sponsored by a strip club and taught by strippers so maybe we just have different experiences of pole. I accept that. I just don't understand why he won't.
Reply 154
The parts I mainly object to are his opinions that pole is a glorified form of stripping (yet can't give me a straight answer when I ask him to tell me how they're similar.

You need me to explain how a girl in a strip club doing a pole dancing routine for punters is similar to a girl in a strip club doing a pole dancing routine for friends and family :s-smilie:

The only difference is that one is getting paid, and the other is making her parents feel extremely uncomfortable.
Original post by py0alb
You need me to explain how a girl in a strip club doing a pole dancing routine for punters is similar to a girl in a strip club doing a pole dancing routine for friends and family :s-smilie:

The only difference is that one is getting paid, and the other is making her parents feel extremely uncomfortable.

And one is dressed, the other is taking their clothes off. I think that's the main distinction between a stripper and anyone else tbh. I'm done arguing with you anyway. All you do is ignore posts or parts of posts that make a valid point but disagree with you, e.g. SpicyStrawberry's.
(edited 12 years ago)
And one is dressed, the other is taking their clothes off. I think that's the main distinction between a stripper and anyone else tbh. I'm done arguing with you anyway. All you do is ignore posts or parts of posts that make a valid point disagreeing with you, e.g. SpicyStrawberry's.

The fact is, pole dancing will always be sexual, however much you try and claim it isn't. Face it - people will always view you in that way.

There are so many other forms of exercise. Funny how you picked the one which is so highly sexual.
Reply 157
And one is dressed, the other is taking their clothes off. I think that's the main distinction between a stripper and anyone else tbh. I'm done arguing with you anyway. All you do is ignore posts or parts of posts that make a valid point but disagree with you, e.g. SpicyStrawberry's.

Not true. Strippers in clubs have their clothes on until you give them money to take them off. Most "casual" or "competitive" pole dancer's actually wear very similar outfits to those that a stripper would wear to pole dance in a strip club. Every single video we've seen posted has backed this point up.
Why? Just why?

Of all the ways that you could keep fit, why pole dancing?

God damn.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
The fact is, pole dancing will always be sexual, however much you try and claim it isn't. Face it - people will always view you in that way.

There are so many other forms of exercise. Funny how you picked the one which is so highly sexual.

Okay maybe but it's not stripping. Nobody that I actually know, friends or family, sees it as sexual. At least it's not the way I do it... I think you actually have to be at a really high standard to make proper pole moves into a routine that looks sexy.

I started going cos my friend's friend pulled out and she wanted someone to go with. So I said I'd try it. I didn't pick pole because it's sexual, I tried it and liked it. I prefer it to other forms cos it's a really relaxed, comfortable environment (unlike the gym) and everyone works at their own pace (unlike classes like zumba or ballet or anything really).

Original post by py0alb
Not true. Strippers in clubs have their clothes on until you give them money to take them off. Most "casual" or "competitive" pole dancer's actually wear very similar outfits to those that a stripper would wear to pole dance in a strip club. Every single video we've seen posted has backed this point up.

Well I've never seen a stripper so I'll take your word for it. I think the point is that she intends to take her clothes off for money. What's a 'casual' pole dancer, out of interest?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest