The Student Room Group

The Edexcel FP2 (22/06/12 - PM) and FP3 (25/06/12 - PM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Groat
Exam Solutions provides quite a good tool for Edexcel exams. Maybe do FP2 and FP3 for a few more days, then revise D1 and S2 and once they're done crank up FP2 and FP3?

Have you got the textbooks for all the modules?

Thank you. Yes, I got all the text books. D1 seems pretty easy. Its just that I have to be so particular to gain the marks. What annoy me is its so easy and when you see it you knew the answer but there is a set of 'rules' that we need to follow. I haven't finished studying FP3 really. Its not that I haven't revised for it. I haven't been taught the whole book. :s-smilie:
Reply 141
Original post by koko298
Thank you. Yes, I got all the text books. D1 seems pretty easy. Its just that I have to be so particular to gain the marks. What annoy me is its so easy and when you see it you knew the answer but there is a set of 'rules' that we need to follow. I haven't finished studying FP3 really. Its not that I haven't revised for it. I haven't been taught the whole book. :s-smilie:

For D1, do the algorithms exactly how the mark schemes show them. That way you can't possibly lose marks.

Regarding FP3, you've got around six weeks, so I'd suggest trying to get that learnt as soon as possible! Are there any topics you're finding particularly hard?
Original post by -Illmatic-
Worth doing this. An almost enjoyable STEP II question relevant to the FP3 syllabus.

surely it is just a matter of using a transformation such that all the limits are the same, and then use knowledge of identities to show that the integrand is identical in each case.

I haven't the time to solve it now and I don't want to look at the solution as I might want to do it myself later... can you clarify if my approach is correct and a viable one?

thanks
Reply 143
Original post by Groat
For D1, do the algorithms exactly how the mark schemes show them. That way you can't possibly lose marks.

Regarding FP3, you've got around six weeks, so I'd suggest trying to get that learnt as soon as possible! Are there any topics you're finding particularly hard?

Yes, I am trying to learn it as soon as possible but I am depending on my tutor. Differentiation seems a doddle - Chapter 1 to 3 is okay. I'm sure vectors and Integration would be hard. I don't like vectors. :s-smilie:

Just out of curiosity, are you somehow a Math tutor? :biggrin:
Original post by Ilyas
surely it is just a matter of using a transformation such that all the limits are the same, and then use knowledge of identities to show that the integrand is identical in each case.

I haven't the time to solve it now and I don't want to look at the solution as I might want to do it myself later... can you clarify if my approach is correct and a viable one?

thanks

I personally didnt change the limits at all. Have a go! It took me a while and a push in the right direction (Im not a STEP student :tongue:) to get it.
Reply 145
Original post by koko298
Yes, I am trying to learn it as soon as possible but I am depending on my tutor. Differentiation seems a doddle - Chapter 1 to 3 is okay. I'm sure vectors and Integration would be hard. I don't like vectors. :s-smilie:

Just out of curiosity, are you somehow a Math tutor? :biggrin:

I'm not a tutor actually!

In my experience, the vector chapter is the most difficult in the book. There are so many different techniques and methods, it's worth getting to that and doing plenty of the examples.

Integration isn't actually that bad. The reduction formula method is easy to pick up, and many of the integrals are just completing the square and using the formula booklet!
Reply 146
Original post by Groat

In my experience, the vector chapter is the most difficult in the book. There are so many different techniques and methods, it's worth getting to that and doing plenty of the examples.

Integration isn't actually that bad. The reduction formula method is easy to pick up, and many of the integrals are just completing the square and using the formula booklet!

Aww, you're not a tutor :eek:. Gosh, I thought I can somehow study online with you if you were a tutor. :colondollar: haha. I'm sorry. Yes, Vector is not to my liking. Somehow, I think its a guy thing - Vector :s-smilie:
Original post by Groat

According to you how much time does it takes to study FP3?

I am done with the first 3 chapters, all others are left, how much time will it take to learn them?

The only resource to learn for me is the book.

NB: I am self-studying it, but its not something new for me, as i have self-studied all the maths modules i have done.
Reply 148
Original post by raheem94

I am done with the first 3 chapters, all others are left, how much time will it take to learn them?

NB: I am self-studying it, but its not something new for me, as i have self-studied all the maths modules i have done.

Wow, you're awesome. I learnt roughly about a chapter a week, so I'm in my second week now. I have completed Maths in one year so I'm expecting the same with Further Maths. Its just the situation are different. Its much much harder
Reply 149

I learnt FP3 in 25 guided hours. I imagine it could've been a lot less if I didn't have to do a lot of the easier questions to consolidate knowledge!

But, as mentioned above, I warn you that there are a lot of different techniques and methods, so it's worth spending a good amount of time on it.

I'll butt in and say 2 weeks. Easily less if thats your only exam/you are very able.
Reply 151
Original post by Groat
I learnt FP3 in 25 guided hours. I imagine it could've been a lot less if I didn't have to do a lot of the easier questions to consolidate knowledge!

But, as mentioned above, I warn you that there are a lot of different techniques and methods, so it's worth spending a good amount of time on it.

So, what should I do? :frown:
Reply 152
Original post by koko298
So, what should I do? :frown:

Just keep going, really. Learn a concept, try a question. If it doesn't come out correct, go back to the example. I recommend using the Exam-CD that comes with Edexcel textbooks - they are particularly good for FP2 and FP3 when the solutions aren't so clear cut, and often they have a great way to make hard questions quite short.
Reply 153
Original post by Groat
Just keep going, really. Learn a concept, try a question. If it doesn't come out correct, go back to the example. I recommend using the Exam-CD that comes with Edexcel textbooks - they are particularly good for FP2 and FP3 when the solutions aren't so clear cut, and often they have a great way to make hard questions quite short.

Thank you.

Get a move on! the first three chapters (hyperbolic, coordinate geom, differenciation) are relatively easy, the last chapters in FP3 (Integration, Vectors, Matrices) are much harder. It is basically the bulk that makes FP3, FP3.
Original post by Groat

How do you compare it with FP2?

I found FP2 simple, only complex numbers was a bit challenging, there are a few difficult complex numbers questions in the book, but i won't expect such questions to be in the exam, do you agree?
Original post by koko298
Wow, you're awesome. I learnt roughly about a chapter a week, so I'm in my second week now. I have completed Maths in one year so I'm expecting the same with Further Maths. Its just the situation are different. Its much much harder

You have to do FP3, S2, D1 and FP2, right?

I am taking similar maths modules to you in june, i have FP2, FP3, S1, S2 and AEA in june.

S2 is quite easy, FP2 isn't very tricky as well. In FP2 complex numbers is a large chapter, in S2 hypothesis testings seems difficult at first but once you understand it looks very easy.

I actually didn't worked hard throughout the year, so now the work load is very high, i recently completed both S1 and S2 in about 15day, solved the whole book.
Original post by Ilyas
Get a move on! the first three chapters (hyperbolic, coordinate geom, differenciation) are relatively easy, the last chapters in FP3 (Integration, Vectors, Matrices) are much harder. It is basically the bulk that makes FP3, FP3.

FP2 is much easier in my opinion. I don't feel that FP3 is easier (that's the general concencus), people probably say FP2 is harder because of complex numbers but everything else isn't too bad, whereas in FP3 you have matrices and vectors to worry about, and the reduction formulae can get nasty.
Original post by Ilyas
FP2 is much easier in my opinion. I don't feel that FP3 is easier (that's the general concencus), people probably say FP2 is harder because of complex numbers but everything else isn't too bad, whereas in FP3 you have matrices and vectors to worry about, and the reduction formulae can get nasty.

You would have noticed that there are some very difficult complex number transformation questions in the FP2 book, do such questions come up in the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending