The Student Room Group

Is a dissertation worth doing?

Scroll to see replies

Personally, unless I wanted to go into research or a PhD, I wouldn't do it. Mine was only 5000 words (I had to spend a month working in a lab as well) and I hated it, it's very stressful and time consuming.
Original post by Dan1909
10k is huge?

10k min for mine I did a meta analysis its a recommended limit.

Theres been others which were only 4k but mine has/d lots of different elements to it which needed to be addressed.
Original post by laura130490
Personally, unless I wanted to go into research or a PhD, I wouldn't do it. Mine was only 5000 words (I had to spend a month working in a lab as well) and I hated it, it's very stressful and time consuming.

It is a shame you haven't enjoyed it. :frown:
I think, if you are able to a topic you are passionate about, it can be really rewarding.

I had two 5000 word essays this term [different I know] but they were meant to be based on research/case studies and data collected from our placements. I wrote one in a day and the other across three evenings. They were not amazing, far from it, but I was quite chuffed to get them done so swiftly. It has made writing 10,000 words alongside placement [workbooks, planning, assessment, reflection tasks as well as actually teaching all day lol] seem like a hill rather than a mountain lol. :redface:
Original post by affinity89
It is a shame you haven't enjoyed it. :frown:
I think, if you are able to a topic you are passionate about, it can be really rewarding.

I had two 5000 word essays this term [different I know] but they were meant to be based on research/case studies and data collected from our placements. I wrote one in a day and the other across three evenings. They were not amazing, far from it, but I was quite chuffed to get them done so swiftly. It has made writing 10,000 words alongside placement [workbooks, planning, assessment, reflection tasks as well as actually teaching all day lol] seem like a hill rather than a mountain lol. :redface:

I probably would have enjoyed it if I actually had samples to test lol My project was based on comparing blood test results from a point of care device with those produced by a hospital laboratory, but because of ethics and what not I couldn't actually get any hospital samples to test. Made the whole thing really boring and stressful. Things may have been different if it went to plan :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
10k min for mine I did a meta analysis its a recommended limit.

Theres been others which were only 4k but mine has/d lots of different elements to it which needed to be addressed.

Fair enough, I just thought 10k sounded a bit low? The 4k one makes that seem a whole lot higher though!
Reply 25
Original post by thegaffer91
You say you are a major/minor student, do you have to do a dissertation in the other side of your degree?

The dissertation is just for the major part of the degree. But given the fact it's 20,000, I'd say it makes up for the other department as well.

Cirsium, thank you very much for your opinion. I absolutely see your point with research based studies/jobs.
Original post by jelly1000
ah seen it now, in reply:
so did I until I went to uni, or at least I thought it would only be an ex poly that might do that, not out of snobbishness but because they are less likely to do something the traditional way, but I go to UEA which obviously isn't one.

See weird, because I'm at Nottingham Trent (ex-poly obviously). If we don't do a dissertation we have to pick up an extra 40 credits, so two modules since a new system is bringing them all into line as 20 credits. I'm not quite sure what two modules you'd do...since this overall has removed our optional modules in Year 3 and so the compulsory modules are all there is. I don't know if it's University wide but I assume it is, no dissertation means no (hons) in your degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dan1909
Fair enough, I just thought 10k sounded a bit low? The 4k one makes that seem a whole lot higher though!

4k seems unusually low..

I'd say anywhere from 8-15k is the usual standard from what I've seen across quite a few Universities. Obviously it also depends on the module, I suppose some very hands-on modules might have some sort of physical thing produced from it, and thus the theory behind it in word count has a lower allowance.

Ours is 8-10k.
Original post by joey11223
See weird, because I'm at Nottingham Trent (ex-poly obviously). If we don't do a dissertation we have to pick up an extra 40 credits, so two modules since a new system is bringing them all into line as 20 credits. I'm not quite sure what two modules you'd do...since this overall has removed our optional modules in Year 3 and so the compulsory modules are all there is. I don't know if it's University wide but I assume it is, no dissertation means no (hons) in your degree.

yeah that is weird- we dont have any compulsory modules in year 3, we just have to choose a number of them from a set list

I'm at Coventry (another ex poly) and we don't have a choice, you have to do a dissertation. It's worth 30 credits and if you don't do it or fail it then you have no hons. I've never heard of a uni letting you not do a dissertation and still get hons.
Original post by jelly1000
yeah that is weird- we dont have any compulsory modules in year 3, we just have to choose a number of them from a set list

We had four compulsory modules and 3 options, of which we had to choose two, so not a lot of choice as it was. But now because Trent doesn't want 10 credit modules and everything else to be in multiples of 20 credits, all modules are worth 20 credits and the dissertation has been increased from 30 to 40 credits. The expected word count and quality of the dissertation has not been altered, though we apparently get some sort of dissertation related lectures to give us a bit more advice since it's worth a bigger proportion of the degree.

When we were told about having to pick up an extra module or two, thinking back maybe it was only one module, we obviously had choices. So now with only 4 modules existing adding up to 80 credits..I have no idea what you do if you decide not to do a diss, as you need 100+ credits to pass without hons I believe.

Original post by laura130490
I'm at Coventry (another ex poly) and we don't have a choice, you have to do a dissertation. It's worth 30 credits and if you don't do it or fail it then you have no hons. I've never heard of a uni letting you not do a dissertation and still get hons.

aye well It was phrased in such a way that I was led to understand the hons aspect of a degree is actually about the completion of the dissertation. :confused:
We had four compulsory modules and 3 options, of which we had to choose two, so not a lot of choice as it was. But now because Trent doesn't want 10 credit modules and everything else to be in multiples of 20 credits, all modules are worth 20 credits and the dissertation has been increased from 30 to 40 credits. The expected word count and quality of the dissertation has not been altered, though we apparently get some sort of dissertation related lectures to give us a bit more advice since it's worth a bigger proportion of the degree.

When we were told about having to pick up an extra module or two, thinking back maybe it was only one module, we obviously had choices. So now with only 4 modules existing adding up to 80 credits..I have no idea what you do if you decide not to do a diss, as you need 100+ credits to pass without hons I believe.

aye well It was phrased in such a way that I was led to understand the hons aspect of a degree is actually about the completion of the dissertation. :confused:

Yeah that's what I thought, it might be different at different unis, but that's always what I've been led to believe.

At UEA, all first and second year modules are 20 credits, then 3rd year modules are a mix of 20 and 30 credits. I'm a current first year going into 2nd year in September, but were I going into 3rd year I would need to pick 2 30 credit options from a list of 6, with the diseration being one of those options, and then a further 60 credits from a longer list- so either 2 30 credit modules or 3 20 credit modules.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dan1909

ten thousand words for this is quite a lot but i chose the higher worded one and this research has so many issues surrounding it so its incredibly fascinating :biggrin: which is why i love my IS :love:

plus its been something to put my energy into

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending