The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Hey I've got an Assessment day with VSO ICS on the 27th june and was just wondering if anyone can give me an insite in to what may happen on the day and do they tell you where you go as im just a bit nerves.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Voyager_2002
Once you are out there they provide a living allowance and spending money. So you could have a worthwhile experience even if you did not bring any of your own money with you.

Do remember that you are going in order to work on a real-life project in a serious way. During the placement you are unlikely to have much time and energy left for travel and having fun. You might well be in a remote location with unreliable transport links, so that going away for the weekend would not be an option.

I have just come back from Nicaragua as a volunteer on the March-June 2013 cycle. Everyone took personal money with them and indeed we did spend it. We were able to go on weekend trips and managed to arrange 3 in the end. To be able to travel we had to complete risk assessments which had to be approved by in country staff. Weekend trips were fun and it allowed you to see more of the country which was great. If you have any questions about the programme feel free to ask me.
Reply 182
Original post by abi95
hiya,
I actually have no idea how competitive it is, sorry.
They're looking for commitment and enthusiasm so if you show that in your application and on the selection day then I think you stand a good chance :smile: Good Luck!

Aw okay, thank you!!
Great advise guys :biggrin: just wondering when your away for 3 months do you get giving a chance to contact friends and family ?
Original post by olliemears
Great advise guys :biggrin: just wondering when your away for 3 months do you get giving a chance to contact friends and family ?

There is mobile phone coverage in most parts of the world. Even in Africa you can buy a local SIM card and buy pay-as-you-go credit. In most parts of the world you can get a dongle that works on the mobile phone network, so if you bring your laptop you can keep in touch over the internet. In any case, most towns (even small ones) have cyber cafes, although there are often days when the internet is down. Note that in West Africa the bandwidth available is very limited: usually you can't use Skype nor any kind of voice-chat, and often have to sit for several minutes waiting for email to load.
Reply 185
Original post by olliemears

I think it depends where you go..I'm going to Tanzania on Monday and have been told that letters are best! We will have Internet connection at field base at the start, middle and end :smile:
Reply 186
Good Luck for those that are applying to ICS and going through the selection day.

I'm off to Tanzania for 10 weeks with Raleigh this evening. If you want to follow my blog - I won't be able to update it very frequently because I'm without internet but here it is: http://timeforalittleadventure.blogspot.co.uk/
Reply 187
Original post by RebeccaFin
Does anyone know how far in advance you should apply? For example, if you weren't able to go until 2014 when would you apply or does it matter? Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya :smile: When I first applied and got through the first stage, they wanted to send me on a selection day at the end of this month. I got in touch and explained that I would really love to be a part of ICS, but I'm in India until September. A lovely lady replied and she moved my selection day to the 27th September, for a departure (if successful of course!) in January or April 2014. So apply anytime and just get in touch with them! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 188
Got through the first stage and off to a selection day on the 27th September. Any one else gonna be there? :smile:
Reply 189
I know this question has been asked in various forms throughout the thread but I still can't seem to find a clear response regarding when to apply.

On the website it says the best time to apply is 5 months before but is this just a guideline? I'm really interested in going away next summer and want to get my summer plans sorted as early as possible, so would it stand against me if I applied for a summer 2014 project now or can you apply at any time you want?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by Jockie
I know this question has been asked in various forms throughout the thread but I still can't seem to find a clear response regarding when to apply.

On the website it says the best time to apply is 5 months before but is this just a guideline? I'm really interested in going away next summer and want to get my summer plans sorted as early as possible, so would it stand against me if I applied for a summer 2014 project now or can you apply at any time you want?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :smile:

I think it's just a guideline. I applied just before Christmas, and I'm leaving this September. I just wanted to get it all sorted so that I could plan the rest of my gap year. Definitely apply early if you want, and then just make sure they know when you want to leave. I was offered Summer or September departure, but chose September because it fitted better with the plans I already had. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by 03hope03
I think it's just a guideline. I applied just before Christmas, and I'm leaving this September. I just wanted to get it all sorted so that I could plan the rest of my gap year. Definitely apply early if you want, and then just make sure they know when you want to leave. I was offered Summer or September departure, but chose September because it fitted better with the plans I already had. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks - I've now applied for next summer. The email I got said it might just take longer for them to get back to me (ie. 4 weeks instead of 2). It's not stopping me excitedly checking my emails everyday though!
Reply 192
Original post by Jockie
Thanks - I've now applied for next summer. The email I got said it might just take longer for them to get back to me (ie. 4 weeks instead of 2). It's not stopping me excitedly checking my emails everyday though!

Good luck! I bet you're so excited, PM me if you want any more information and I'll do my best to help :smile: Do you have a country or charity preference by the way? :smile:
Reply 193
Good luck! I bet you're so excited, PM me if you want any more information and I'll do my best to help :smile: Do you have a country or charity preference by the way? :smile:

I put down VSO and Raleigh for my charity preference but I wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't get them - they were just the two that caught my eye. Country-wise, I don't mind where I go. :smile:
Reply 194
Wasn't expecting to hear back from them so quick but I've progressed to the next stage! They're allocating me a day later in the year due to the earliness of my application. :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by Jockie
Wasn't expecting to hear back from them so quick but I've progressed to the next stage! They're allocating me a day later in the year due to the earliness of my application. :smile:

That's great, congratulations and good luck! :smile:
Reply 196
That's great, congratulations and good luck! :smile:

Thank you! Not long to go for you now! Are you all prepared for it? :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by Jockie
Thank you! Not long to go for you now! Are you all prepared for it? :smile:

I know, pretty much just 1 month to go! :s-smilie: Erm, I've done all of my fundraising, and I have a suitcase and fleece, but not much else :L My last two injections are on the 4th of September, and I have a training weekend next weekend so hopefully after that I'll be able to get sorted a bit more :smile: I seem to be spending most of my free time practicing my Spanish at the minute, hopefully I'll be good enough by the time I get out there :smile:
Reply 198
Original post by zohaib01
I did ICS with VSO in Tanzania last summer so if anyone has any questions quote me!

hey, i'm wondering if you might be able to do a run down of what you took clothes wise and what you would suggest taking clothes wise. I'm going to Kenya Sept-December, apparently the average temperature is late 20s. Thanks!
Reply 199
So I got back from Tanzania with Raleigh this morning! It was such an amazing experience but I am now absolutely shattered. If anyone's got any questions about anything feel free to ask :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending