The Student Room Group

TSR Dance Society!

Here it is at last. Whether you are interested in ballroom or salsa, ballet or street jazz, come in and chat. Anyone out there doing a play soon, it seems to be the time of year of rehearsals. What type of dance do you do?

Member List

*agridulce*

*Lou*

-steph-

.butterfly.x.

1education

aida e

all_or_nothing

angelize1

Anthonyjm71

bach37

BeckiM

bitterendx

Bri91

Brightstar

buhba
 
cazhorsey
 
Cécile Vuvan

ChiBee

chloecouture

chocolatecheese
 
chris shanks
 
city_chic
 
colleen_dana
 
confused.me
 
Coral
 
crazyirish
 
Cressie
 
csaville1
 
DancinBallerina
 
DaniNelle
 
danni.tatts
 
dghaethjsyujwse
 
Dreamy_whisper
 
duracell
 
edwardsbrandofheroin
 
eevil kitty
 
elpsos
 
EmieApple
 
Everythingisthischance
 
fadingwinters
 
Flopifloor
 
francescarella
 
Frankie2102
 
ghostories
 
girlshapedlovedrug
 
HaNzY
 
Helen_w
 
hippieglitter
 
icanshout
 
iccle_kay
 
idinafan
 
i_feel_shiny
 
jelly_head91
 
Jennibabes88
 
Jia_Xuan.Alexa
 
jl7 Jo-123
 
jojoparkin
 
JoleneMonroe
 
Justintabib
 
K.L.A
 
kit21088
 
laura__j
 
Linds
 
lolay88
 
Lolium
 
lost_puppy
 
louised33
 
luci-x
 
Luthien_89
 
Lydia Lazarus
 
madmima
 
Magic Dust
 
Marie05
 
maryob
 
MatchDancer
 
mcfly_mad
 
Meliae
 
melissabee
 
Mispar
 
MissMaple
 
Miss_Scarlett
 
Monique
 
Mrs Rickman
 
Nat89
 
Nattaboo.x
 
Nightseye
 
Northern_Lights
 
nugget
 
Pickaskill
 
piglet29
 
PlayboyBunny
 
Poison_Girl
 
PolkaDotSoph
 
Prince Rhyus
 
Princess Lisa
 
princess319
 
Priscilla J
 
rahh<3
&#8195;
RockyRiaStone
&#8195;
Rokit
&#8195;
Romeo(love)
&#8195;
rosieposy87
&#8195;
rtoyad
&#8195;
Rubberband
&#8195;
SallySparrow66
&#8195;
sambista
&#8195;
sandro
&#8195;
ScreamYourHeartOut
&#8195;
seashellstar
&#8195;
sep
&#8195;
shinythings
&#8195;
silent_nanny
&#8195;
SofinaaBabess
&#8195;
Sparkly-student
&#8195;
starya
&#8195;
Sugar.x
&#8195;
Sunnydazzleeyes
&#8195;
SuperSaz
&#8195;
The_Girl
&#8195;
TiaDanielle
&#8195;
time.to.dance
&#8195;
Tinkers
&#8195;
Tritt87
&#8195;
trixy17
&#8195;
Turn Around
&#8195;
Valjean
&#8195;
whiskeyinthejar
&#8195;
x-Saffire-x
&#8195;
xkateyyy
&#8195;
xx-joan-xx
&#8195;
Zebrastripes

Scroll to see replies

Hi Everyone!
If your name is not on the above list, don't worry...i have now added a new list here that i can readily update (as ladydeborah is very busy over the summer). Please let me know if i have missed anyone off :redface:

Member List

Ladydeborah
Chocolatecheese
Justintabib
Krysa
Pniaq
Serina M
Starya
Trikki-vikki
Mrs Rickman
louised33
Turn Around
graddage
Tritt87
miss giggles
DaniNelle
Marie05
Pendragon
debates 999
Mithun
BeckiM
Princess of Darkness
Fate13
cazhorsey
weegerd
Pickaskill
Jo-123
Stagestruckgal
liowood
shinythings
PlayboyBunny
Ron Stoppable
elpsos
collen danna
romeo(love)
Coral
i feel shiny
sambista
silent_nanny
alexa_jx
LizH
Lib
lolay88
eevil kitty
cjgbr

Original post: please can i join? :smile:

I do Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern, Street Jazz.....

I have got our dance schools show this friday, saturday and sunday! we've been rehearsing for agessssssss now....getting nervous and excited! :biggrin:
Reply 2
chocolatecheese
Hi please can i join? :smile:

I do Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern, Street Jazz.....

I have got our dance schools show this friday, saturday and sunday! we've been rehearsing for agessssssss now....getting nervous and excited! :biggrin:

Of course, go to the this page and go down to the Dance Society and join there. :smile:

Oooh, i love dance shows. Haven't done one for ages! Is it themed?
nope, its not themed this year, its just a mixture of everything :smile:

...i've clicked "join this soc" but ntohing has happened yet :frown:
Reply 4
chocolatecheese
nope, its not themed this year, its just a mixture of everything :smile:

...i've clicked "join this soc" but ntohing has happened yet :frown:

Sorry, me being slow. You're now a member. :smile:

Do you have any themed dances? Like a few years ago a friend of mine did a street jazz type Ali G dance, weird costumes. :p:
thanx for adding me! :smile:

We are doing a dance from Billy Elliot which is really cool, we are doing like a 60's disco one...very cheesey bright costume! :biggrin:, doing a spanish themed pointe dance n we are wearing red tutu's for that...i also help to teach at my dance schoolso i have got to go on stage with the baby class for one of their dances :redface:, im doing a dancecalled 9 till 5....in which we dance with chairsand are dressed up in office clothes....high heels, fishnet tights lol....also doing a dance to footloose which if funky...and i cant remember the rest at the mo! :p:
hello guys!:smile:
even though i'm the only male who has bumped onto this society, I think there's nothing more fun & more enjoyabe than dancing.And especially if you are dancing with your date, nothing feels more good than to be able to hold her for so long & so tenderly!:suith:
aaawww thats so sweet! :hugs:
nice to see a guy in this society!
Reply 8
Hehe, it is very sweet. Bless. :dancing:
Thanks! :smile: it feels good to be in a place where other poeple share the same views as me.
you know what, when I was considering which uni should be my firm, I spent quite some time going through the inner details of the unis. I've chosen Bath uni because it has got loads of opportunities to practice things that I love most: both motorsports & dancing! :cool:
Anyways, I have a question for both of you: which type of dance do you love most & why?

(P.S. Thanks for adding me in this society.I'm feeling proud to be the first male member! :cool: when will people realise 'dancing is for girls only' is only a false stereotyped catch phrase??)
It is, in the classes i do, there is usually a good even ratio, at least there was for ballroom. Ballet is my passion, i've been doing it since i was 3, and i stopped when i got to grade 8, but starting up again now. It was always part of me, i loved doing the shows. The only reason i stopped was because i was so angry i couldn't get onto pointe shoes as my ankles are too weak. I was destroyed when i found out!

What about you, which do you love most?
:frown: i feel sorry for you ladydeborah, not being able to go on pointe, there was a girl at my dance school who also couldn't go on pointe due to weak ankles, she was heartbroken too ...but at least you don't have to go through all the pain!!!! :smile:

i dont really have a favourite...i love all types of dancing...i have done Ballet and Tap since i was 3 and Modern Jazz since i was 5....the great thing about dancing is it keeps you so fit, especially ballet...thats great for staying toned.

I love doing shows, you get such a buzz from them! :biggrin:
I also help teach at my dance school which is really rewarding because i get to see the kids progress, and when i see how much they enjoy dancing too, its just great! :biggrin:

im really sad now, because the show i did last week will be the last one for me, since i am off to uni in september...and im going to miss the kids i teach so much! :frown:

but.....like Justintabib, i picked my second choice uni based on the best place to carry on dancing...and guess where that is!?!?!.......

BATH!!!! wahoo!!! guess we had the same idea! :smile: so, if i miss my grades for 1st choice, i will be seeing you there! :wink: at least i will kind of know someone at the dance classes :biggrin:
I love being on shows so a lot of buzz actually come up from people like me :p: Never performed in a show but hopefully I will in years to come!
"Good dancers arent born, they are taught" is what I believe in. :smile:

I also love all types of dances (even though I havent been been able to venture across ALL of them yet :p: ) but there was one particular ballroom dancing that I went last summer with my elder cousin & her date & they were doing Waltz (which I came to know much later:biggrin: ). It wasnt very fast by any means, but then ofcourse it was full of long,flowing movements. The couples practically drifted all over the ballroom with such ease. ohhhhh i just loved it -- the dynamic movements spoke for the couples! :smile: :wink:
I'll be taking lessons for Waltz soon (hopefully) so Bath would be the place for me to experiment & practice (& learn more).:smile:

As for your weak ankles ladydeborah,I've had a friend in Sixth Form with similar problems (her right ankle was weaker than her left so she coudnt keep proper balance).however,she went to an expert physiotherapist who diagnosed her for an year or so (not so sure about the duration).She used to hit the gym doing some specific exercises for strengthening her right ankle on a regualr basis.Even though I havent had contact with her for a long time, I know she has made a very good progress so far. The point is, you can still do what you are passionate about -- ballet; so you better contact a good physiotherapist because I'm sure with such sophisticated technologies & methods that are available today, your ankles can get stronger than ours!:smile: :wink:
chocolatecheese
im really sad now, because the show i did last week will be the last one for me, since i am off to uni in september...and im going to miss the kids i teach so much! :frown:
BATH!!!! wahoo!!! guess we had the same idea! :smile: so, if i miss my grades for 1st choice, i will be seeing you there! :wink: at least i will kind of know someone at the dance classes :biggrin:

Sure we did!:biggrin:
Now that I know Bath is your second, I hope you miss the grades for your first choice & end up in Bath. :p: :wink:
But there will be one problem though -- I'm a rookie compared to you!:redface:
So you might miss the kids but you wont be missing teaching coz then you will be able to teach an adult, that being me!!:p: lol.
No doubt it'll be wonderful to know someone in the dance class beforehand. :wink:
Justintabib
I love being on shows so a lot of buzz actually come up from people like me :p: Never performed in a show but hopefully I will in years to come!
"Good dancers arent born, they are taught" is what I believe in. :smile:

I also love all types of dances (even though I havent been been able to venture across ALL of them yet :p: ) but there was one particular ballroom dancing that I went last summer with my elder cousin & her date & they were doing Waltz (which I came to know much later:biggrin: ). It wasnt very fast by any means, but then ofcourse it was full of long,flowing movements. The couples practically drifted all over the ballroom with such ease. ohhhhh i just loved it -- the dynamic movements spoke for the couples! :smile: :wink:
I'll be taking lessons for Waltz soon (hopefully) so Bath would be the place for me to experiment & practice (& learn more).:smile:

As for your weak ankles ladydeborah,I've had a friend in Sixth Form with similar problems (her right ankle was weaker than her left so she coudnt keep proper balance).however,she went to an expert physiotherapist who diagnosed her for an year or so (not so sure about the duration).She used to hit the gym doing some specific exercises for strengthening her right ankle on a regualr basis.Even though I havent had contact with her for a long time, I know she has made a very good progress so far. The point is, you can still do what you are passionate about -- ballet; so you better contact a good physiotherapist because I'm sure with such sophisticated technologies & methods that are available today, your ankles can get stronger than ours!:smile: :wink:

Thank you for that, i think i'll get researching into that. I'd love to do pointe's even though i have seen many of my old friends go through so much pain, and a lot of blood. Yuck, but worth it.

I've been doing the waltz, my boyfriend isn't that great a dancer (he's getting better) but we're doing quite well at it. Going to be taking a bronze model in it soon. It's weird, i do ballroom at Imperial where they do competitions, but i'll be dancing at Kings next year and we'll do shows instead. I don't know which i'd prefer, competitions or shows.
Justintabib
Sure we did!:biggrin:
Now that I know Bath is your second, I hope you miss the grades for your first choice & end up in Bath. :p: :wink:
But there will be one problem though -- I'm a rookie compared to you!:redface:
So you might miss the kids but you wont be missing teaching coz then you will be able to teach an adult, that being me!!:p: lol.
No doubt it'll be wonderful to know someone in the dance class beforehand. :wink:

yeah, it will be great to know someone in dance class befirehand :smile:
and at least i can carry on my teaching :biggrin: you can be the replacement for the kiddies lol :p:
ladydeborah
Thank you for that, i think i'll get researching into that. I'd love to do pointe's even though i have seen many of my old friends go through so much pain, and a lot of blood. Yuck, but worth it.

I've been doing the waltz, my boyfriend isn't that great a dancer (he's getting better) but we're doing quite well at it. Going to be taking a bronze model in it soon. It's weird, i do ballroom at Imperial where they do competitions, but i'll be dancing at Kings next year and we'll do shows instead. I don't know which i'd prefer, competitions or shows.

Sure it's worth it! Like my gym instructor said, "no pain no gain" :p:

Good for you!At least he can dance (& as you say 'getting better'!). there are guyz who stumble just at the thought of being on the dance floor!
I'd personally be more comfy with shows. Too much pressure in competitions! But there are people who love to participate in both & I guess you are one of them. :smile:
chocolatecheese
yeah, it will be great to know someone in dance class befirehand :smile:
and at least i can carry on my teaching :biggrin: you can be the replacement for the kiddies lol :p:

"Replacement for the kiddies"?? doesnt sound appealing :p:
Whatever!no one's goanna know :biggrin:
What type of lessons do you (or should i say did you) teach them?I hope I'll be able to cope up with your teaching lol :p: :cool:

Lemme guess what can I call you... madam/miss/teacher? nah they would make you too old for me. Perhaps 'senorita' ?:smile: that sounds good.
what do you say?:wink:
Oh by the way, can you do waltz?
Justintabib
"Replacement for the kiddies"?? doesnt sound appealing :p:
Whatever!no one's goanna know :biggrin:
What type of lessons do you (or should i say did you) teach them?I hope I'll be able to cope up with your teaching lol :p: :cool:

Lemme guess what can I call you... madam/miss/teacher? nah they would make you too old for me. Perhaps 'senorita' ?:smile: that sounds good.
what do you say?:wink:
Oh by the way, can you do waltz?

I'm still teaching, i'll give it up just before the summer hols.
i teach ballet, tap, modern, street jazz....
they call me miss :smile: ....but i don't think i will force you to call me that lol!:p:
i dont waltz but im really keen to take it up when i go uni :biggrin: you can teach me that lol!
chocolatecheese
I'm still teaching, i'll give it up just before the summer hols.
i teach ballet, tap, modern, street jazz....
they call me miss :smile: ....but i don't think i will force you to call me that lol!:p:
i dont waltz but im really keen to take it up when i go uni :biggrin: you can teach me that lol!

Yeah hopefully I'll be able to :p: but it wont be a problem if both get to learn together. When you are with an enthusiastic partner,dancing gets so much better & much more exciting :smile:
But I shouldnt get my hopes too high right now -- after all, what are the chances of you missing firm & ending up in Bath?
hey how was your show where you got to dance '9 till 5' ? I've seen some dances with chairs on air, but why dont u share some first-hand experiences with us?:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest