The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to fold the corner of pages in a book for an exam?

Scroll to see replies

It's crazy that you've been given your clean copies before the exam! They can't go through them checking every page for notes so it seems pretty daft to me. We got given our clean copies in the actual exam.
Reply 21
Original post by littleone271
It's crazy that you've been given your clean copies before the exam! They can't go through them checking every page for notes so it seems pretty daft to me. We got given our clean copies in the actual exam.

Yeah but I don't think any of us are stupid enough to make notes in the book tbh :/ Our school have a weird system to make sure we hand in all of our books. So we have to have those books for the exams and put them in the box at the end, every teacher has to sign our sheet saying we've handed every book in, then it has to be signed by form teacher, head of house, school office and exam officer.

We then get a year 11 completion sheet that we have to bring on results day, if you haven't got it or handed in all your books you don't get your results till it's resolved. :banghead:
Reply 22
It's annoying with WJEC because it is also a test of memory, not just understanding the text. -_-

WJEC have a reputation for being the easiest. Quite the opposite tbh. It is annoying with English Language as one hour to complete the reading section is simply not enough time. They also try to confuse you by the wording of the questions. It's annoying :mad:
If you know the book maybe try to remember page numbers or at least chapters as you can't fold pages for before the exam begins. I did this for my English Lit earlier this year and at the start of the exam wrote them in the question booklet and folded the pages and it worked a treat. You can't fold them before the exam starts though I wouldn't think.
Reply 24
WJEC are bitches for that! :frown:
Are you kidding me, other exam boards give you clean copies of the books?

I'm furious, the 20 mark essay questions could be on ANY part of the book, it's hard to memorise what happens throughout the book WITH QUOTES!!!!

Thanks WJEC.
Reply 26
Original post by matty123
I am not even allowed to take any book into the exam.

Thanks WJEC -_-

*Sigh* Me too
Reply 27
I did in my AS level English Lit and so did everyone else :smile: I think it's fine as long as there is no writing in the book :smile: Good luck with your exam!
In my exam they checked our books. The exam board was AQA and it was GCSE literature.
Oh dear, I've just spent all evening folding mine :P I'm pretty sure we have been told its ok (aqa) plus I'm doing TKAM so I will actually die if we aren't allowed to do it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 30
LOL we get ours checked whilst going in but we get to keep it afterwards if we want to, so in fairness if 1 person wrote notes on a page, I'm sure the invigilator would miss it...but too risky!

Original post by alexandraa
Oh dear, I've just spent all evening folding mine :P I'm pretty sure we have been told its ok (aqa) plus I'm doing TKAM so I will actually die if we aren't allowed to do it

Oh god, I do TKAM too :/ there is so many qoutes my teacher wants us to remember!
Reply 32
Original post by matty123
I am not even allowed to take any book into the exam.

Thanks WJEC -_-

WJEC is known to be the hardest board and well respected, so take the chance and prove yourself.
Original post by brightbulb
Oh god, I do TKAM too :/ there is so many qoutes my teacher wants us to remember!

Yeah! It's so unfair how some people have really short books! Cos I'm fine with the analysing part but it's just finding the event and trying to find quotes :/ but I just asked my friend who did it last year and she said only fold a few because otherwise its pointless anyway :smile:

Reply 34
We've been told its acceptable and my board is AQA. I still think it's very strange how we have to bring in clean copies, i mean they can't check ALL of them can they? My Of Mice and Men book is 10 years old, have drawings and everytime in and looks like it will fall apart any minute now -.- yeah, thanks school!
Original post by Doctor-to-be
You get the book when you go in and sit down, you won't get the opportunity to fold down corners etc before hand as you should (by exam rules) get given completely new copies. However during the exam you can fold the corners and you are allowed to amke notes on the book (most schools say you cant so they can reuse them). Good luck !! :smile:

Not always, on Friday we will not be given clean copies unless we need them

Quick Reply

Latest