The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by cwtchy
Hi guys.

I just wanted to give you a bit of an insight to my OSCE. For me the hardestpart was not being in a real surgery. For instance when you come to do your impressionmixing. You will only have the tools do it, I had no sink (it was a picture) nodisinfectant (it was a picture. So what you do out of habit you need to talkthrough it rather than show them. You will mix the impression material but that’sas real as it gets.

The parts with the actors are nerve wrecking but theworst for me is when you have a stone faced examiner that doesn’t acknowledgeanything. Some of them are lovely and will give you a nod or a smile when you’rein the right direction.
When you do these. Introduce yourself, tell them yourname and shake their hand.
‘Hi Mrs Smith. My Name is Jane, im the dental nurse, imjust going to talk you though…’
Points are lost if you don’t do this.
Make sure you go to the loo before, even if you don’t thinkyou need to go. It’s a long time youre in there and you don’t want to bejigging around like I was. You can use the loo but it’s a pain trying to timeit with your rest station.
If anyone wants to pm please do, im happy to help.
J

Hello !

Thanks for the infos, it is a big help :smile:

Any infos on pass rate ???
Reply 581
I really don't know about the pass rate. Sorry.
Pass rate was about 85% a few years back when I did it, I'm sure it hasn't changed much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any information on manual developing and the times for the tanks etc?
All the information i have found online have diff times on each one, and i need to know it in case it comes up on the OSCE's in 2 weeks time as it was on last years OSCE!!
Reply 584
5 mins developer
10 second rinse in water
10 min fixer

Also learn the flow diagram of that process and also the packet contents of an x ray film packet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, good luck in studying and in your Osce . I am gonna sit my exam on 30 jan in London,Camden square at 2pm. Is anyone sitting in the same place.? I
have few questions: for how long should we keep the log records for ultrasonic test and autoclave?? Is it 11 years?? Also the colours for the bucket in the surgery: i am still confuse .. Thank you.
Reply 586
hi I am gonna site exam at London 30th jan at 2 pm. m getting so nervous day by day.
yellow bucket for surgery
red for toilet
green for kitchen
blue for office/reception
Original post by cwtchy
5 mins developer
10 second rinse in water
10 min fixer

Also learn the flow diagram of that process and also the packet contents of an x ray film packet

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you!
where did u get this info from? i know all the steps etc for manual developing i could just never find the times as all the levisons says is follow MFI!
Reply 588
I've posed the times above x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cwtchy
I've posed the times above x

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeahh i know sorry lol, i meant which source of information did u get this from? x
Reply 590
Hi girls i have my Osce exam in london camden on 31 January, so nervous about everything.
Could you girls who sit exam On 30 give us some tips or if something new in there let us know. Please
Good luck to everyone
Reply 591
It's from my Dentrain folder (the place I did my course through)

Good luck.

Just remeber
- Shake hands & introduce yourself to the actors
- stop and think, don't panic and bumble out stuff.
- dress smart and in your nursing gear. There will be a station giving you points on correct uniform

DO NOT be tempted to take any revision or books near the exam room (may sound stupid but someone did in mine)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592
Thank u very much for help
Good luck to everyone for their OSCE exams this weekend. Just remember that you do know what you are doing and that the examiners are just qualified dental nurses and probably tutors too - so they want you to do well. They can't help you but they are not trying to catch you out.

Read the instructions, take a deep breath and read them again.
Take your time, you know what you are doing as you do this at work.
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE YOUR UNIFORM!

Most of all Good Luck!
Reply 594
Original post by AndreaBCD
Good luck to everyone for their OSCE exams this weekend. Just remember that you do know what you are doing and that the examiners are just qualified dental nurses and probably tutors too - so they want you to do well. They can't help you but they are not trying to catch you out.

Read the instructions, take a deep breath and read them again.
Take your time, you know what you are doing as you do this at work.
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE YOUR UNIFORM!

Most of all Good Luck!

Thank u !!!
Reply 595
Hi, I have my OSCE on saturday 31st too - one of the nurses at my practice has advised that I should use the flat end of the spatula for mixing, but I have previously been told to use the flat end for moving the powder to the liquid and the pointed end for mixing?! I'm confused, please can anyone tell me the answer and if it says it anywhere in Levisons. Thanks
Reply 596
Original post by leanne2468
oo well done to you too!
are you in leeds again for the OSCE? if so what time slot? x

12-1!
Original post by JNewc
Hi, I have my OSCE on saturday 31st too - one of the nurses at my practice has advised that I should use the flat end of the spatula for mixing, but I have previously been told to use the flat end for moving the powder to the liquid and the pointed end for mixing?! I'm confused, please can anyone tell me the answer and if it says it anywhere in Levisons. Thanks

It can definitely be confusing when you get lots of advice. We all have our own way of working effectively and you are right in sticking to the Levinsons. The page numbers you need are 431 to 434. On page 433 it talks about using the mixing end of the spatula, which is shown in the photos. There are two ends so that you can get more powder out of the bottle if needed, without contaminating the remaining contents. I would stick with what you were originally told, to use the pointed end for mixing, as this is mirrored by the Levinsons.

You have done the right thing by asking for help, I am sure that you will do really well. Try to stay relaxed and enjoy the process :smile:
Reply 598
Original post by AndreaBCD
It can definitely be confusing when you get lots of advice. We all have our own way of working effectively and you are right in sticking to the Levinsons. The page numbers you need are 431 to 434. On page 433 it talks about using the mixing end of the spatula, which is shown in the photos. There are two ends so that you can get more powder out of the bottle if needed, without contaminating the remaining contents. I would stick with what you were originally told, to use the pointed end for mixing, as this is mirrored by the Levinsons.

You have done the right thing by asking for help, I am sure that you will do really well. Try to stay relaxed and enjoy the process :smile:

Thanks so much for your help! Great to have someone put your mind at rest, my course has been online and i don't like to disturb the tutor with every query I've had!!
Original post by Hus82
Hi girls, am sitting my exam too on the 30th January for osce , bt I was told by my tutor der won't be nE charting coz most charting questions came up on da written exam������ am so scared now ,can someone plz help me wiv da revision????? ������������������������������

Hi there,how was your osce exam today?
plz can you advice on what you did as am doing mine tomorrow.
Thank you.

Latest