The Student Room Group

Anybody else really worried about their Highers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rawragee
it's the new Higher Physics course, they've taken out the half unit of Electronics and also the gas/density etc laws as well, and introduced new sections on particle physics, we also have to do a small project which counts as a half unit :smile:

That's pants!!! Gas laws are immensely boring and particle physics is immensely exciting! Projects sound naff right enough, i quite strongly dislike practical work :P
Reply 41
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
I'm in 6th year and school is coming to an end but unfortunatley there is no time to sit and reminisce over the past 6 years I have to revise to meet my conditional :eek:

So to all you fifth and sixth years currently stressing about your dreaded exams

1.What subjects are you sitting?
2.What grades do you want?
3.What grades do you think you'll get?
4. (Uni applicants) what are your conditions?

So applied to me;
1.Higher Biology, Higher Modern Studies and Higher Philosophy
2.ABB
3. Probably something like BCC maybe BBC
4. BB (achieved AAAC in my 5th year)

Good luck to you all :biggrin:

In sixth year, got AACCC last year.

1. This year I am sitting Advanced Higher English, Higher Music, Chemistry and Maths.

2. AH: B, H: AAA

3. AH: C, H: AAB

4. AH: B + H: AB for Aberdeen

H: BB for Napier

In my prelims I acheived AH: B, H: ABB.
Original post by Lewis_Mac
In sixth year, got AACCC last year.

1. This year I am sitting Advanced Higher English, Higher Music, Chemistry and Maths.

2. AH: B, H: AAA

3. AH: C, H: AAB

4. AH: B + H: AB for Aberdeen

H: BB for Napier

In my prelims I acheived AH: B, H: ABB.

woah your Aberdeen conditions are tough considering your 5th year grades were good :s-smilie:
Good luck though! I'm sure you'll manage them :smile:
Worried about Chemistry and thats it.

1.English(Int.2),Maths, Biology,Chemistry,Computing
2.BAAAA
3.CAABA
4.In 5th year. But for the course I want to do I'll probably need an A in Chemistry or my chances for a conditional will fall.
Reply 44
woah your Aberdeen conditions are tough considering your 5th year grades were good :s-smilie:
Good luck though! I'm sure you'll manage them :smile:

Yeah, it's a challenge! English is such a competitive course though, so I was expecting a tricky condition. My Advanced Higher English teacher is absolutely useless so I'm really worried about meeting it! :frown:

Was hoping to go to Stirling but they rejected me (just four days after I travelled over 100 miles to the bloody Applicant day!!! :angry:) as I didn't mention teaching enough in my personal statement apparently... :/ I should really have applied for English as a standalone degree and tried to weasal my way into Education as well, as one of my friends got AAB at Higher last year and has applied for English and her condition is ONE C AT HIGHER! :O

Cheers! Where are you hoping to go next year?
Yeah, it's a challenge! English is such a competitive course though, so I was expecting a tricky condition. My Advanced Higher English teacher is absolutely useless so I'm really worried about meeting it! :frown:

Was hoping to go to Stirling but they rejected me (just four days after I travelled over 100 miles to the bloody Applicant day!!! :angry:) as I didn't mention teaching enough in my personal statement apparently... :/ I should really have applied for English as a standalone degree and tried to weasal my way into Education as well, as one of my friends got AAB at Higher last year and has applied for English and her condition is ONE C AT HIGHER! :O

Cheers! Where are you hoping to go next year?

Really a rejection from Stirling? Thats so annoying. They gave me an unconditional to a BSc course and I don't even have any sciences at higher . I got two rejections from Dundee and couldn't work out why.

I want to go to Aberdeen too to study MA Geography. I got AAAC at my highers last year and got a conditional of BB this year. That doesn't sound too bad but I've taken three highers that I'm not good at and to make things worse my modern studies teacher is a waste of space.

I was kind of annoyed at Aberdeens conditions too cause they apparently give uncondotionals to applicants with AABB and I thought my grades were the same thing. Also Glasgow asks for AAAA and they gave me an easier condition than Aberdeen but I couldn't afford to move away :/ Super stressed for these exams now!
Original post by TheFOMaster
Worried about Chemistry and thats it.

1.English(Int.2),Maths, Biology,Chemistry,Computing
2.BAAAA
3.CAABA
4.In 5th year. But for the course I want to do I'll probably need an A in Chemistry or my chances for a conditional will fall.

What were you hoping to apply for? :smile:
So, how is everyone feeling now?

I've Int 2 Philosophy on Tuesday and it only just kicked into my head after my last lecture yesterday that it is so close! Even scarier is that I'm sitting all four of the NABs on Thursday afternoon (I did the Higher NABs but need to sit the Int 2 ones) so I can't relax even once it's over! x.x I've just spent the past four hours revising moral philosophy/Kant & epistemology/Hume!
Reply 48
Really a rejection from Stirling? Thats so annoying. They gave me an unconditional to a BSc course and I don't even have any sciences at higher . I got two rejections from Dundee and couldn't work out why.

I want to go to Aberdeen too to study MA Geography. I got AAAC at my highers last year and got a conditional of BB this year. That doesn't sound too bad but I've taken three highers that I'm not good at and to make things worse my modern studies teacher is a waste of space.

I was kind of annoyed at Aberdeens conditions too cause they apparently give uncondotionals to applicants with AABB and I thought my grades were the same thing. Also Glasgow asks for AAAA and they gave me an easier condition than Aberdeen but I couldn't afford to move away :/ Super stressed for these exams now!

It's incredibly annoying! :frown: I really loved the place as well! Yeah, Dundee are being funny this year. One of my friends had similar grades to you (AAACC) and received a rejection. I was going to apply to Dundee, however when I e-mailed them to ask what sort of condition I may receive they said either "BB" at Higher or "AAB" at Advanced Higher if I had taken three (which I had initially planned to do). They didn't even mention second year entry, which I thought may have been the case. :confused: It was odd so I decided not to apply there!

Yes, I despise the way Uni's sort out grades. They effectively discount any C's which is ridiculous! Apparently my THREE C's don't even equate to a single "B". :mad: What a load of rubbish! Bring back UCAS points, I say. You got a conditional from Glasgow? Well done man! I've heard they've been horrendously selective this year! No one in my school has received an offer from them (even one of my friends who has an unconditional from Aberdeen! :eek: Even though you're not planning to go there that is definitely an achievement.

Good luck for your exams :biggrin: I'm sure you will get your condition!
Reply 49
Doing Maths, Revised Physics, English, History and Latin

Hoping for AAAAA

Realistically looking at AAABB at the moment, some solid revision will hopefully push the Bs up!

Looking at applying for English next year.
Reply 50
how is everyone revising for English? :confused:
I'm really struggling to remember/learn my quotes :frown:
Reply 51
how is everyone revising for English? :confused:
I'm really struggling to remember/learn my quotes :frown:

I'm just learning theme/plot(key scenes)/character/setting/structure for both of my texts. I'm not learning quotes either. I'm really bricking it for English though :frown: It's the only one I'm nervous for, probably because it's the only one I consistently get B's or, even worse, C's in. :frown:
Reply 52
1. AH Maths, AH Chemistry, AH Biology
2. C in AH Chemistry
3. three passes, but don't know about the grades as my results this year have fluctuated massively.
4. Need a C in Chemistry to study Chemistry
at Strathclyde, hence my feeble wishes on the grades I want :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by ..lauren
I'm just learning theme/plot(key scenes)/character/setting/structure for both of my texts. I'm not learning quotes either. I'm really bricking it for English though :frown: It's the only one I'm nervous for, probably because it's the only one I consistently get B's or, even worse, C's in. :frown:

I learn things by theme pretty much. Some how it's easier to group things together in my mind I guess? So, I know the themes for each text inside out, but I can never remember the quotes for them so just kind of paraphrase the bit in the text (like describe it I guess?) but my teacher said I'll get marked down loooaaadss for not having quote evidence :frown:

I've never got more than 17 on an essay, and I can't seem to get above 30 on my close readings :frown:
Reply 54
I learn things by theme pretty much. Some how it's easier to group things together in my mind I guess? So, I know the themes for each text inside out, but I can never remember the quotes for them so just kind of paraphrase the bit in the text (like describe it I guess?) but my teacher said I'll get marked down loooaaadss for not having quote evidence :frown:

I've never got more than 17 on an essay, and I can't seem to get above 30 on my close readings :frown:

According o my teacher and according to her the principle accessor, that's bull. We've been told, and as the head of the department she tell her staff, never to give a list of quotes to learn because you can get a 25 with no quotes. Paraphrasing is just as legitimate as evidence from the text as paraphrasing or outlining events is.

English is my big worry too :/ I average around 19 on my essays and 30 on close reading, which is only an A if the pass mark lowers (including extended essay). Why is it just so difficult!!!
Reply 55
Original post by ..lauren
According o my teacher and according to her the principle accessor, that's bull. We've been told, and as the head of the department she tell her staff, never to give a list of quotes to learn because you can get a 25 with no quotes. Paraphrasing is just as legitimate as evidence from the text as paraphrasing or outlining events is.

English is my big worry too :/ I average around 19 on my essays and 30 on close reading, which is only an A if the pass mark lowers (including extended essay). Why is it just so difficult!!!

oh. I got told that I could only get a maximum of 11 if I had no quotes :s-smilie:
so if instead of quoting (for example) "Not one gentleman caller? It can't be true!", I could just write "when Amanda discovers that no gentleman callers visit Laura or are interested in her, she refuses to admit it"?
aha sorry it was the first one of my texts that came to mind :colondollar: this will put my mind at ease hopefully, so I won't have a nervous breakdown in the exam if I can't remember exact wording/quotes.

(as said before) the only two essay marks I've had have been 15 & 17 so I'm hoping to do extraordinarily well on close reading and get 35+ however that seems unlikely for me :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Quoting is not necessary to get marks; the scheme requires only close reference to the text. Pointedly avoiding quotation is just silly, though. Despite the sense you sometimes get from discussions here, there is such a thing as compromise.
Reply 57
oh. I got told that I could only get a maximum of 11 if I had no quotes :s-smilie:
so if instead of quoting (for example) "Not one gentleman caller? It can't be true!", I could just write "when Amanda discovers that no gentleman callers visit Laura or are interested in her, she refuses to admit it"?
aha sorry it was the first one of my texts that came to mind :colondollar: this will put my mind at ease hopefully, so I won't have a nervous breakdown in the exam if I can't remember exact wording/quotes.

(as said before) the only two essay marks I've had have been 15 & 17 so I'm hoping to do extraordinarily well on close reading and get 35+ however that seems unlikely for me :frown:

According to my teacher, that's just as good as a quote! Obviously some quotes are quite obvious and will stick in your mind anyway, but she says theres no need to learn a list of them :P
It's incredibly annoying! :frown: I really loved the place as well! Yeah, Dundee are being funny this year. One of my friends had similar grades to you (AAACC) and received a rejection. I was going to apply to Dundee, however when I e-mailed them to ask what sort of condition I may receive they said either "BB" at Higher or "AAB" at Advanced Higher if I had taken three (which I had initially planned to do). They didn't even mention second year entry, which I thought may have been the case. :confused: It was odd so I decided not to apply there!

Yes, I despise the way Uni's sort out grades. They effectively discount any C's which is ridiculous! Apparently my THREE C's don't even equate to a single "B". :mad: What a load of rubbish! Bring back UCAS points, I say. You got a conditional from Glasgow? Well done man! I've heard they've been horrendously selective this year! No one in my school has received an offer from them (even one of my friends who has an unconditional from Aberdeen! :eek: Even though you're not planning to go there that is definitely an achievement.

Good luck for your exams :biggrin: I'm sure you will get your condition!

I know a C is a pass! Its so annoying. When my guidance teacher gave me my breakdown it was a C5 too, so only a few percent off a B!

Yeah I have absaloutley no idea how Glasgow gave me a conditional haha (it was of 1A so not too harsh either). My guidance teacher thought it was a mixture of my personal statement and the highers which I sat.

I decided not to firm that one cause my twin brother is going there (he got 5As! grrr) and everyone at the applicant day had results like AAAAB and AAABB so I sort of felt out of my depth. Plus the fact my parents can't really afford both me and my brother to move away. If I go to Aberdeen I can carry on my part time job so they want me to do that.

Hope to see you at Aberdeen! :smile: Good luck!

Also are you staying in halls at Aberdeen? :smile:
1.(All Higher) Maths, English, Modern Studies, History, Physics
2.AAAAA
3.AAABB

I'm actually feeling fairly confident about the exams right now, quite worried about English though, all these quotes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending