The Student Room Group

Do university students drink cocktails?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'll drink them if it's a cocktail event, usually say pay between £5-£10 to get in, then drink as many free drinks as you can kind of thing, or we have a cocktail bar that does seriously cheap happy hours so it's a nice switch from the pub some nights!

Also marks and spencers canned cocktails are surprisingly easy to get drunk off, especially if further fixed with extra spirits if you're feeling imaginative :smile: 11% for £1.99 could be worse
Theres somewhere near me that does them for £1.99 most week days, including a Friday!
Reply 22
I occasionally go out for cocktails with friends. To be honest, the pubs round me are pretty much as expensive as the cocktail bars, so it actually doesn't make all that much difference, and cocktails taste a lot nicer than beer (in my opinion! :biggrin:). I wouldn't drink them to get drunk before going clubbing or something though, as that would get very pricey when its at least £7 per cocktail!
Groups of girls who see themselves as feminine get cocktails by the bucketloads.

Rougher types of girls dont really get much of them I've noticed.
When I go out with my friends back home, we usually go to Spoons, and drink cocktail pitchers, but when I'm at uni I just generally buy WKD, vodka mix with something else instead.
twice a year our student union does a cocktail party. we pay a set price (usually very cheap) and get 3 free cocktails included. after that you pay for them, but they're still VERY cheap.

Personally, i enjoy cocktails, but that's because of my work in the hospitality industry. I'm a bartender too, and i'm forever trying out new concoctions or getting new demands from customers. Luckily, it's the policy at my workplace to have a very small taste of every drink you send out, to ensure quality and consistency. Lucky me!
Reply 26
Original post by 6daisychain9
I'm writing an article for my student newspaper about uni students, and whether they drink cocktails, or focus more on getting drunk for as cheap as is possible.
I personally am a great fan of cocktails, but I work in a cocktail bar that doesn't have a student-based clientele, so would appreciate any thoughts on the matter, as I think I may be biased! Thanks!

I only really drink cocktails as a pre-drink. A bottle of peach schnapps, vodka and orange and cranberry juice lasts me about a week of pre-drinks. If I'm out and they're on offer/it's a birthday/special event then I'll get a cocktail... otherwise I just stick to shots.
Too expensive. Beer or rum with coke please.
Reply 28
If they're on offer yeah, or if we're DIY-ing them with way too much cheap alcohol. Oh and do s**tmixes count?

Some of the cocktails you get in clubs are crap - places like Oceana, O2 Academy etc.
Original post by 6daisychain9
I'm writing an article for my student newspaper about uni students, and whether they drink cocktails, or focus more on getting drunk for as cheap as is possible.
I personally am a great fan of cocktails, but I work in a cocktail bar that doesn't have a student-based clientele, so would appreciate any thoughts on the matter, as I think I may be biased! Thanks!

1. I work in a cocktail bar and we have a HUGE student clientel - probably the majority.

2. I'm in my 3rd year of uni and I have in these 3 years ONLY gone out for drinks to cocktail bars/bars, rather than clubs to get pissed and bag a shag.
Reply 30
my friends just get drunk as cheaply and quickly as possible, but on special occasions they'll fork out the extra money for cocktails. definitely not a regular thing. although they're getting pretty good at making their own to mask the apparently horrible taste of some spirits
Bar called Font in Manchester does £2 cocktails. It's become almost standard procedure to go with the course mates after exams or the end of term and "work your way through the menu".
Meh the're just so expensive, although Manchester has Font Bar which does cocktails for £2 which is really good so we go there once in a while if it's a birthday and occasionally on bar crawls. 99% of the time we drink at our halls though of vodka + lemonade as it's cheaper.
Reply 33
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
(Blue Lagoon, Purple Haze, Woo Woo ect).

They are no more cocktails then a bottle of hooch/WKD/Bacardi Breezer is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending