The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by green.tea
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342299/Teens-parent-role-model-67-cent-likely-job.html

Before you start bashing the the mail, the research was carried out by yougov for the princes trust.

"Male role model" and "mother figure". Don't misrepresent research, this says nothing about parents.
Original post by mmmpie
"Male role model" and "mother figure". Don't misrepresent research, this says nothing about parents.

What a stupid post.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342299/Teens-parent-role-model-67-cent-likely-job.html

Before you start bashing the the mail, the research was carried out by yougov for the princes trust.

That doesn't mean that the research was represented or interpreted correctly by the dailymail. Notice how the quotes from the person representing the Trust doesn't mention gender at all.
Martina Milburn, chief executive of The Prince’s Trust, which helps disadvantaged young people into work, said: ‘It is nothing less than a tragedy that so many young people feel they don’t have a role model.
‘We should not underestimate the impact a positive adult influence can have on a young person.
‘At The Prince’s Trust, we give vulnerable young people the support they may have lacked earlier in life, helping to build self-belief and, in turn, develop skills for work.’

Look at that. No mention of gender specific role models. No giving male or female role models. Giving them support and building self-belief, which can be taught by both genders. Hm...it seems the daily mail has put in its own bias into the research and what it implies. Especially considering that the link I provided earlier has no mention of any program targeted towards children without a father. Nor do any of the programs provide role models of a specific gender.
Reply 583
What a stupid post.

How's that then?

Just again I will refer you to this article. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-gender-ourselves/201204/does-male-role-model-actually-have-be-man
Anyone who doesnt live in a down a well can have a role model which isn't one of their parents. So by your logic their wouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Kids can get food outside the home so does that mean they should go to people who cant feed them?

Why do you have such a problem with boys to male couples and vice versa? Straight couples cant choose when they have babies.
Does a Male Role Model Actually Have to be a Man?

:rolleyes:
Anyone who doesnt live in a down a well can have a role model which isn't one of their parents. So by your logic their wouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Kids can get food outside the home so does that mean they should go to people who cant feed them?

Why do you have such a problem with boys to male couples and vice versa? Straight couples cant choose when they have babies.

They can when they adopt. And it's ok when they don't get to choose when they conceive because there is an equal chance of them having either or. Now again, having to parents of the same sex has not been shown to have any lack of gender role models. No study has indicated that such a problem occurs. In addition to this both parents, of the same sex, can provide the differing gender role models.
Original post by mmmpie
How's that then?

Its talking about a male role model in the home. Granted it could be an older brother and of course all lesbian couples live with older brothers so yeah actually thats a good point.

Lol you can't even read the article? Why don't you just leave now. You are showing your own ignorance in that you can't even read evidence when it is presented against you. :rolleyes:
Its talking about a male role model in the home. Granted it could be an older brother and of course all lesbian couples live with older brothers so yeah actually thats a good point.

No where did it say that the male role model had to be within the home. Now you are just making things up. :rolleyes:
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
They can when they adopt. And it's ok when they don't get to choose when they conceive because there is an equal chance of them having either or. Now again, having to parents of the same sex has not been shown to have any lack of gender role models. No study has indicated that such a problem occurs. In addition to this both parents, of the same sex, can provide the differing gender role models.

I dont need to ask you to show me your article entitled "survey shows lesbians now popular role models among young men" because im sure you have one. :rolleyes:
No where did it say that the male role model had to be within the home. Now you are just making things up. :rolleyes:

Thats what the research you said i misquoted is about. go away.

since you are too lazy

The increasing fallibility and uncertain availability of XY-chromosome role models combines with the blurring of gender roles to raise a question: Does a male role model actually have to be a man?

Gender roles have always been subject to society's expectations, and society's expectations have disassembled the testosterone fueled male archetype. Tony Porter caused an Internet stir with a call for male engagement and self-examination in a TED presentation called: "Don't Act Like a Man." Whether all this is gratuitous male bashing or a reasoned call for recalibrating the historic markers of masculinity depends on whether you think 21st century men are being ruined or updated.

Either way, the once-direct line between what men are and what boys copy is subject to diversion by forces we may not understand for a generation.

In my research, I found women worked very hard to bring men into their sons' lives. But most were happy to take on the role themselves—even the basics.

Watching the strong women in their lives, they can learn how to respond to challenges without aggression. They can learn the power of reliability and the importance of respect. They can learn determination, decision-making and independence.

Boys can learn how to treat women by watching men. But they can just as easily learn it from watching how women demand to be treated.

The term role model was first used in a study of the socialization of medical students—a reference to our tendency to compare ourselves to those in social groups we would like to join. Another definition says that role models affect us in ways that make us want to be better people.

In joining the society of strong and caring men—and in learning how to be better men—having a male worthy of respect and emulation is a wonderful and powerful thing in a boy's life.

But heroes are fallible, fathers leave, and stand-ins won't always be there. For single and two-mother families, none of that means the lessons of manhood can't be passed on.

Male role models are constructed of stronger stuff than chromosomes.
Reply 594

No it doesn't. Have you not read your own source?
Thats what the research you said i misquoted is about. go away.

please read again. the only part of that article that stated parental role models was the title. the rest said things like
Young men with no male role models in their lives and women without a mother figure struggle to keep their lives on track, a hard-hitting report warns today.

:biggrin: I'm sorry you can't even read your own sources correctly
The first half of your post is stupid. In answer to the rest id be fine with couples adopting their own gender.
I dont need to ask you to show me your article entitled "survey shows lesbians now popular role models among young men" because im sure you have one. :rolleyes:

Well you wouldn't read any of my sources anyway. So you might as well leave now. You aren't debating. You are just spewing nonsense and ignoring opposing arguments. I at least have the courtesy to read what you post and respond to your source's content. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
The first half of your post is stupid. In answer to the rest id be fine with couples adopting their own gender.

Lol 'thats stupid' isn't an argument. :rolleyes:
please read again. the only part of that article that stated parental role models was the title. the rest said things like

:biggrin: I'm sorry you can't even read your own sources correctly

Yeah, so what the research is actually talking bout is males whove had the unlikely misfortune of never knowing any older male in any capacity.

Latest

Trending

Trending